Bringing things to locals

sailsalot

Hello!

We're headed to Cuba this summer on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and had heard that it was nice to bring things to give to the locals that they can't get there or that are very expensive. Has anyone ever done this, and if so, was it received well, or was it a lot of trouble to do? We'd like to put a humanitarian spin on our trip and like the idea of bringing books, toys, etc. for the kids especially. Any info you all might have is much appreciated! Thanks!!

Hello!

We're headed to Cuba this summer on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and had heard that it was nice to bring things to give to the locals that they can't get there or that are very expensive. Has anyone ever done this, and if so, was it received well, or was it a lot of trouble to do? We'd like to put a humanitarian spin on our trip and like the idea of bringing books, toys, etc. for the kids especially. Any info you all might have is much appreciated! Thanks!!

There are a number of aspects to consider about that issue.

There is this faintly arrogant perspective of priviledge when contemplating this issue. Someone likened it to Arab oil sheiks giving out Ferraris to New Yorkers because they felt sorry for those who only had Fords.

You as a tourist will probably come into contact only with the Cubans who have the most money and things because they work in tourism. They may sell whatever you bring at pennies on the dollar because they receive so much of any given item.

Understand that "they" have what they need, particularly if "they" have access to tourists cash, so tip service people well in cash instead and let them buy what they want. These people may also use the cash to help relatives who are not so well placed to get in on the tourists profits as yet.

It is no longer 1990 (just after the Soviets stopped helping, the Special Period, when there was a lack) and there are things to be had. Often there are shortages, but those with cash can buy when things become available. (See the photos here of a pharmacy, a 'corner' store, an open air market, etc. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1837390-critique-my-cuba-plans.html

taken a couple of weeks ago)

The houses of those in contact with tourists have rice cookers, blenders, washing machines, refrigerators, etc. Most Cubans seem to use herbal medicines rather than Aleve, for example, so they do not feel a lack. They have access to flash drives, etc. cheaply.

Also, what would you think if some strangers showed up in your neighborhood randomly giving your kids toys? Same thing applies. This is NOT humanitarian aid.

Are you expecting to stay with people who have kids?

When you've been in Cuba long enough to make friends, you can bring them what they specifically request in terms of items that maybe harder to get, like certain car parts or building materials or brand name clothing.

If you seriously want to bring a large duffel bag filled with "humanitarian aid" in the form of prescription medicines and over-the-counter remedies, I can suggest programs in Cuba that accept them.

• 2 weeks later...

We gave a few bags of toiletry items to a clergy we met when visiting a church and to the tour guide. Cruise line told us to give the items to shore excursion desk, shore excursion desk told us to gave it to the tour operator and tour operator told us he can distribute it or we can give it to the clergy.

We gave a monitory tip to the tour guide and driver as they have ability to trade tourist dollars to local dollars.

m

We gave a few bags of toiletry items to ...to the tour guide. ....the tour operator ...told us he can distribute it ......

"Distribute" it to the first local buyer who pays him money for it, most likely. LOL

We gave a monitory (sic) tip to the tour guide and driver as they have ability to trade tourist dollars to local dollars.

All Cubans have "ability to trade tourist dollars" into local currency, but for small amounts, it is burdensome to stand in a long, slow moving line at the cadeca for an hour or so to get cash they can spend on daily essentials. So why would you make their lives harder and more work for whatever you tip to show appreciation for doing a good job for you? Would you like to jump through hoops to get your own paycheck?

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thanks Vidanapraia for that additional info.

Gave a nice tip to the driver and tour guide. If they sold the other items I gave them, that is also OK. The last thing I wanted to do was to drag the items back home.

M

Thanks Vidanapraia for that additional info.

Gave a nice tip to the driver and tour guide. If they sold the other items I gave them, that is also OK. The last thing I wanted to do was to drag the items back home.

M

Just spoke with a guy this morning who has family in Cuba ..those that work in the tourist sector get $$ & items from tourists which they sell on the black market to those that want the items & can afford it

So everyone gets what they want out of the deal & tourists feel good about giving to the Cubans :halo:

there is no right or wrong

...tourists feel good about giving to the Cubans ....

I still like the analogy that it's like the oil sheik in NYC who gives away Ferraris to all and sundry because he feels sorry for all those poor deprived American people who have to drive Fords.

there is no right or wrong

Really? So you create a culture of beggars, and Cubans come to see US-ers as clueless, naïve marks to hit up (an attitude for which future tourists will pay).

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Really? So you create a culture of beggars, and Cubans come to see US-ers as clueless, naïve marks to hit up (an attitude for which future tourists will pay).

well I guess they have had years to practice because tourists have been going to Cuba for years & taking "gifts" for those they come in contact with

It was happening back in the '90s when we first went there

well I guess they have had years to practice because tourists have been going to Cuba for years & taking "gifts" for those they come in contact with

It was happening back in the '90s when we first went there

Exactly. That was the 90s, the Special Period right after the Soviets stopped "helping", and at that time there was a lack of items.

Times change.

NOW there is not. There are shortages, but most things are available, especially to those you, the tourist, may meet, since those working with/around tourists are some of the richest Cubans currently.

I took Hot Wheel cars to give to the children. On the first day I went through security with no problem. The second day I was held up at the x-ray machine, they were looking at my toys. They finally let me through. Later we talked with another person who also had toys. He was told by the Cuban authorities to take those toys back to the ship.

Just be aware that having toys to give out may cost you a walk back to your room. We are going back in Sept., I won't be taking any toys with me.

Thanks for the info about possible conditions at the port.

What would you think if some stranger who didn't even speak your language was wandering around your neighborhood trying to give cheap toys to your young children or grandchildren ?

Because people in another culture/country don't have every advantage you have doesn't make them think differently than you, or automatically make them charity cases.

If you have concerns about any perceived inequities the Cuban people/children are " suffering", it's much more practical IMO to use your influence and contact your politicians about ending the embargo that causes shortages and some lack of certain goods in Cuba. But of course, that may not make you feel as magnanimous as distributing cheap trinkets to some stranger's kids.

One more discussion about gifts:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147275-i99-k10482137-Gifts-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

Edited by VidaNaPraia

If you have concerns about any perceived inequities the Cuban people/children are " suffering", it's much more practical IMO to use your influence and contact your politicians about ending the embargo that causes shortages and some lack of certain goods in Cuba. But of course, that may not make you feel as magnanimous as distributing cheap trinkets to some stranger's kids.

I can only agree with this. I'm a first generation Cuban-American and I'm pretty sure my grandparents wouldn't have been impressed with people giving their kids cheap trinkets out of pity. They were proud people who worked hard and had a lot of pride in everything they owned. The last thing they'd want is charity... or for someone to assume they needed it.

It was my experience that people liked the things that I gave away, some even asked if I had toothpaste. I don't live in a poor area, if I did, I feel that I would be happy to get something to take home to my family. I gave away pens from Drs. offices, they were appreciated. When I go back in Sept. I will have more things to give & not feel bad about doing it.

It was my experience that people liked the things that I gave away, some even asked if I had toothpaste. I don't live in a poor area, if I did, I feel that I would be happy to get something to take home to my family. I gave away pens from Drs. offices, they were appreciated. When I go back in Sept. I will have more things to give & not feel bad about doing it.

Then give the stuff away to people you consider poor in your own city/town/area.

Or travel to a place where those items are needed(Haiti perhaps, Liberia, etc)

You are contributing to creating a culture of beggars. It is actually very selfish, not generous at all. Neither the Cuban people nor future foreign visitors benefit.

I'd like to add one well-worded (IMO) comment from the thread linked to above:

"There is an enormous amount of misinformation out there, about Cuba, and until you have spent a LOT of time there ( as many on this forum have done, for many years ), speak Spanish fluently, and have travelled widely outside the major cities and tourist enclaves, there is no way that you can have any sort of really accurate information.

The biggest mistake many people make is to compare Cuba with North America. There IS no comparison !! Cuba is a Caribbean island, with a completely different history, climate, lifestyle and values. If anyone feels the need to compare, it would be much more realistic to compare Jamaica, Dominican republic, Haiti, or any other of the many islands in that part of the world.

You will find that Cuba , with its high rate of literacy ( higher than most western nations ) free health care, subsidized housing costs, guaranteed ( if basic) food rations and extremely low crime rate, compares extremely well.

Cubans are rightly very proud of themselves and their country....they have strong family values and cherish their children and their seniors.

If you go with an open mind, and an open heart you will learn a LOT, and also appreciate how offensive this attitude of ''noblesse oblige'' adopted by ill informed tourists ( guests in their country ) really IS !!"

And a couple of significant (IMO), stronger comments from that thread (with many who have extensive experience in Cuba over a long-time):

"I find it ironic that some are so closed minded that they can't even begin to grasp the significance, harm, and disrespect of their actions when visiting a foreign country and gifting willy-nilly to complete strangers. I mean, who in their right mind does that? Are there really that many attention starved and uncaring people visiting Cuba?"

and

"Once I saw someone giving a dollar store trinket to the maid in the hall. Everyone was so happy. The maid did not see me, but once the gifter left the maid turned to another maid, said something in Spanish, and spit on the floor."

"Once I saw someone giving a dollar store trinket to the maid in the hall. Everyone was so happy. The maid did not see me, but once the gifter left the maid turned to another maid, said something in Spanish, and spit on the floor."

This doesn't shock me in the slightest. Anyone who thinks the locals are over the moon about being "gifted" a free advertising pen from a doctors office is delusional.

That's right up there with people who give stuffed animals and t-shirts instead of tips to crew members and insist that the crew members are thrilled at their thoughtfulness.

When I go back in Sept. I will have more things to give & not feel bad about doing it.

Again:

If you seriously want to "gift", bring a large duffel bag filled with "humanitarian aid" in the form of prescription medicines and over-the-counter remedies. Get together with your neighbors, or religious group, or other social group, to solicit these items in your home town and from physicians you know.

I can suggest programs in Cuba that accept them, and perhaps ExpatBride can as well.

You do what you want to do and I will do what I want to do. I saw the look in some of the peoples eyes when I gave them something. You will not make me feel guilty for the things that I do. Sometimes it was just a simple pen. Enjoy Cuba in your own way.

""I find it ironic that some are so closed minded that they can't even begin to grasp the significance, harm, and disrespect of their actions when visiting a foreign country and gifting willy-nilly to complete strangers. I mean, who in their right mind does that? "

""I find it ironic that some are so closed minded that they can't even begin to grasp the significance, harm, and disrespect of their actions when visiting a foreign country and gifting willy-nilly to complete strangers. I mean, who in their right mind does that? "

I see it as some people are so closed minded that they only see things their way or not at all. I have said all I am going to say on this topic. I was there and saw their appreciative faces.

Some people who are unfamiliar with certain cultures do not understand the culture of acceptance (don't make waves, politeness over all) prevalent in some countries. So I'm sure these Cuban strangers were polite for a two minute interaction, even friendly (smiling), with someone who does not understand the cultural nuances and doesn't speak their language fluently enough to have an intense conversation, before retreating to the isolation of a huge floating hotel.

However, I prefer to listen to what people who have been traveling to Cuba regularly for decades (some who have significant others in Cuba), and have seen and evaluated cultural changes (at least since the difficult Special Period in the 1990s), have to say on the subject of random gifting in the current culture. (You can read them on TA or Thorn Tree.)

And this was valuably supplemented by conversations I had with Cubans there whom I have become close with in the trips I have made, as well as Cubans like ExpatBride whom I know here in the US.

There are certain advantages to staying in the comfort of a ship for a day or so to visit, but perhaps those who live daily life alongside Cubans in a casa particular for an extended period have a richer chance of getting to know the realities on the ground and forging the trust to get a more honest Cuban opinion.

Hello again! I've read with great interest what everyone has to say about the topic I presented and appreciate everyone's input. To give you an idea where I was coming from, my husband's family is from an impoverished, I guess you could say third world, country, and when we visited there for several weeks, I remember the people, and the kids in particular, really being fascinated with any little trinket we had on hand and gave to them. Their lives are tough and without much in the way of material things, much less basic things. So to bring a smile (what I think was a genuinely happy smile) to someone less fortunate was nice to do while we traveled there and learned about their country and their living conditions.

I'm no expert on Cuba, and have just finished reading a book about Cuba to learn about this new country that we're visiting. So I don't know much about their culture. I was under the impression that they, too, struggled to make ends meet and provide for themselves, but perhaps that's not the case. In any event, my intentions were to make a kind gesture, not stir up any hostilities or cause any problems. We've decided to not bring anything with us except our excitement to learn about and experience a new country with all it has to offer. We'll save any trinkets we have to our next visit to my in-laws home country. :)

Thanks again, and happy travels to you all!

• 2 weeks later...