bicycling in Bermuda

pb919

Hi - I am currently training for a 72 mile bike ride in early June and will be heading to Bermuda in a few weeks on Norwegian's Breakaway. I was hoping to get some miles in while on the island but have no experience with renting a bike or cycling on the roads in Bermuda. Has anyone done this and have any recommendations? Note: I am not looking for a moped - it would be a pedal bike in Bermuda terms)

Any help would be appreciated as my other option is a few hours on a spin bike in the gym - yuck!

Hi - I am currently training for a 72 mile bike ride in early June and will be heading to Bermuda in a few weeks on Norwegian's Breakaway. I was hoping to get some miles in while on the island but have no experience with renting a bike or cycling on the roads in Bermuda. Has anyone done this and have any recommendations? Note: I am not looking for a moped - it would be a pedal bike in Bermuda terms)

Any help would be appreciated as my other option is a few hours on a spin bike in the gym - yuck!

Hi there

My suggestion would be not to try.

It has been a number of years since we were last there, but if I remember correctly the roads were narrow, without shoulders. Drivers often didn't have opportunity to pass safely, so they would be passing whenever they had an opportunity out of frustration. Just so you know, I have logged many miles all over northeastern U.S. and all of eastern Canada, but I wouldn't consider cycling in Bermuda traffic. I would suggest sticking to the ships' stationary bikes.

If you aren't sure, what I would suggest is to take a bus ride and decide for yourself.

hope this helps...good luck

We biked (pedal) from King’s Wharf to Hamilton along the South Road , about 15 miles. We did stop at the various beaches along the way. We took the ferry back from Hamilton to the ship. A very nice day.

We were able to rent bikes at King’s Wharf very easily and quickly.

Nic - thanks for the comments. I suspect I will be spinning on the ship. Sigh - guess I need to put a good playlist together to keep me motivated.

Don’t allow yourself to be scared off of cycling in Bermuda so easily. Riding in Bermuda is less risky than riding in most US cities so if you have done that you should be fine. I have ridden a pedal bike and a moped in Bermuda and enjoyed both experiences and look forward to doing them again. Oleander at the dock can rent you a bike and helmet. When I rode the pedal bike on the island I used the railway trail and it was an experience not to be missed. If your ship is docking at Kings Wharf, there is a 5k trip on the roads before you pick up the trail on Beacon Hill Rd in Somerset. There are parts of the trail that cross the road and I recall two occasions where I had to dismount and carry the bike up and down several steps. When I made this trip, my fitness level was not the greatest but I was still able to make it from Kings Wharf to Hamilton,with stops at Ft Scaur and Gibbs Hill lighthouse, in about 5-6 hours. I caught the Ferry back to Kings Wharf due to time. This trip included time on major roads and several smaller roads. I never felt that my life was in danger. I stayed to the left, remained aware of my surroundings, and everything was fine. If you search the boards you will find lots of advice from people telling you not to drive this island or not to ride a bike on another island. People make it seem like islanders are a bunch of maniacal drivers looking to run down tourists in rental vehicles. Many times these are people who have not done these activities and are advising you out of their own fear. Whatever choice you make, it should be yours and not based on someone else’s fear.

Edited by Cdtheque
corrected spacing

My suggestion is to either of the bicycle tours on the Railway Trail that can be booked at the Island Tour Centre https://www.islandtourcentre.com/reservations/#category/369 or do it yourself to the Railway Trail as someone suggested.

Another idea is taking the ferry to St. George's and renting there. St. George's and St. David are a quieter end of the Island. You can rent at WeRide.

http://www.weridebermuda.com/

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for the feedback...husband and I are thinking of renting bikes as well as a way to get around. Figure we can see and explore some of the less touristy places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Drove past one of these accidents while in a cab and it was awful. So glad I listener to the advice here and opted not to cycle while in Bermuda. I would have been terrified to be that exposed. Thanks for the answers here. It was an awesome trip!

Just got back. Drove past one of these accidents while in a cab and it was awful. So glad I listener to the advice here and opted not to cycle while in Bermuda. I would have been terrified to be that exposed. Thanks for the answers here. It was an awesome trip!

Glad you had an awesome trip!

Most here don't know about last weeks carnage, one resident on a moped and one tourist on a moped were killed in two separate accidents on the roads. Within 24 hours. Road safety is a problem in Bermuda. You can read more in the article.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170512/two-killed-on-road-in-24-hours

Edited by Charles4515

If you do cycle around Bermuda on public roads remember to keep to the left hand side of the road. I have been on cycling tours myself around Sark on shore excursions and find that often the Americans have a natural default to the right hand side. Fortunately you only get tractors doing agricultural speeds there.

Regards John

I came across this article and remembered this thread. http://mobile.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170512/two-killed-on-road-in-24-hours&template=mobileart

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was a sad article. It should be noted that these two deaths brought the total for the year in Bermuda to 4. Also these deaths did not include pedal bikes. Anyone who rides a pedal bike should keep primarily to the rail trail. Many sights are located close to the trail and the scenery is amazing in many sections. If you need to ride on the roads for any reason, you should remain vigilant as you should on any roadway.

This was a sad article. It should be noted that these two deaths brought the total for the year in Bermuda to 4. Also these deaths did not include pedal bikes. Anyone who rides a pedal bike should keep primarily to the rail trail. Many sights are located close to the trail and the scenery is amazing in many sections. If you need to ride on the roads for any reason, you should remain vigilant as you should on any roadway.

Two cruise ship passengers were in a non fatal motor scooter accident near the Dockyard yesterday. I suspect they have some hurts though.

For sure the rail trail is the best place for pedal bikes. I think St. George's would also be okay for pedal biking.

• 2 weeks later...