Is Remy worth it?

purplechic7106

So what would happen if we bring my 80-year-old Mother along who can only wear flats and is supposed to only wear sneakers? She wears solid black sneakers and that is generally her attire on a cruise so that she has better footing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what would happen if we bring my 80-year-old Mother along who can only wear flats and is supposed to only wear sneakers? She wears solid black sneakers and that is generally her attire on a cruise so that she has better footing.

The rule doesn't say "dress up shoes." It says "no sandals," and from what I've witnessed, dressy sandals are allowed. My suspicion is that the manager wouldn't say a word about her solid black sneakers for all the same reasons that he'd better not say a word about my disabled cruising buddy's shoes. Sorry, shoes that fit over braces are really hard to come by.

Seriously, no one is going to say anything about what her shoes look like.

The rule doesn't say "dress up shoes." It says "no sandals' date='" and from what I've witnessed, dressy sandals are allowed. My suspicion is that the manager wouldn't say a word about her solid black sneakers for all the same reasons that he'd better not say a word about my disabled cruising buddy's shoes. Sorry, shoes that fit over braces are really hard to come by.

Seriously, no one is going to say anything about what her shoes look like.[/quote']

Thanks for the info!!

Not in our experience lol. I believe that flip flops and sandals are also called out separately.

Not sure what you mean by "called out." Have you ever been refused seating at Remy when wearing dressy sandals? I haven't been, and I have worn dressy sandals to Remy and Palo.

People wear flip flops with rhinestones on the straps and try to call those sandals--that is the sort of thing that, in my experience, is not allowed in Remy. However, enforcement of the written dress code is totally at the discretion of the manager. I've also seen a dressy shorts outfit allowed in Palo at dinner as well as other attire that was questionable.

If the "sandal" is plastic or rubber, even with "rhinestones", don't wear them. I have plenty of thong SHOES that are in no way mistaken for "flip flops"....

Do not stress about your shoes. You do NOT have to wear heels...simply wear something other than "flip flops" or crocs!

If the "sandal" is plastic or rubber, even with "rhinestones", don't wear them. I have plenty of thong SHOES that are in no way mistaken for "flip flops"....

Do not stress about your shoes. You do NOT have to wear heels...simply wear something other than "flip flops" or crocs!

Exactly

I'm in the minority here, but I LOVE an excellent dining experience and actually live in a UNESCO World Heritage City of Gastronomy so fine dining is something we are accustomed to, and we don't have to pay an arm and leg for. Anyway, Remy was delicious, service was outstanding, and we loved it, but I doubt we would do dinner again. It was just too long, too filling, too quiet and too expensive. That said, I want to do their brunch at some point, as well as the desert experience.

We loved Remy, didn't mind having to dress up a bit for it. Made it a memorable date with outstanding food! We had done Pirate night on our first cruise, so chose to go to Remy for Pirate night on our 2nd cruise. It was quiet and not crowded, and we still made it out in time for the party and fireworks

I'm in the minority here, but I LOVE an excellent dining experience and actually live in a UNESCO World Heritage City of Gastronomy so fine dining is something we are accustomed to, and we don't have to pay an arm and leg for. Anyway, Remy was delicious, service was outstanding, and we loved it, but I doubt we would do dinner again. It was just too long, too filling, too quiet and too expensive. That said, I want to do their brunch at some point, as well as the desert experience.

I love Remy dinners. My wife loves the Remy Champaign Brunch. Every cruise we must fit both into our schedule. I believe you will enjoy the brunch. Recommend giving it a try!

• 3 weeks later...

We did the brunch on the Fantasy in 2015. My wife and I really aren't fancy food people. Her especially - she is a real basic "meat and three veg" kinda girl from way back so she was a bit wary when I booked us in for the brunch.

Well, suffice to say that she said right afterwards that she would happily go back again for it. The food was just amazing and we had a lovely time.

We also did Palo and loved that too - but as others have said, it was "just" a really really nice Italian restaurant, but not on the same level as Remy.

There have been reports on here that refused sandals were not flip flop or croc type though. Maybe wear a maxi dress that is long enough your shoes aren't showing?

For the record, I just copied the following from the DCL site (under What to Pack...):

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Times; color: #253b56}span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

Adult Exclusive Dining at Palo and Remy – To preserve the elegant ambiance of these restaurants, you are asked to adhere to a dress code when dining at Palo or at Remy. We recommend dress pants or slacks and a collared shirt for men, and a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse for women. Please no tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes. Jeans cannot be worn at Remy; however, they may be worn at Palo if in good condition (no holes).

It says nothing about jackets or sandals. I'll be pretty miffed if I pack a pair of pumps just for Remy (I would NEVER pack closed-toed shoes for a cruise) and there are ladies all over the place in dress sandals...

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion over this issue.

For the record, I just copied the following from the DCL site (under What to Pack...):

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Times; color: #253b56}span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

Adult Exclusive Dining at Palo and Remy – To preserve the elegant ambiance of these restaurants, you are asked to adhere to a dress code when dining at Palo or at Remy. We recommend dress pants or slacks and a collared shirt for men, and a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse for women. Please no tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes. Jeans cannot be worn at Remy; however, they may be worn at Palo if in good condition (no holes).

It says nothing about jackets or sandals. I'll be pretty miffed if I pack a pair of pumps just for Remy (I would NEVER pack closed-toed shoes for a cruise) and there are ladies all over the place in dress sandals...

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion over this issue.

BUT if you look at Remy's page directly it states this:

Dress to Impress

To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Remy.

Dinner

At dinnertime, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Brunch and Dessert

During brunch and dessert, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: Dress pants and a shirt are required for men. A jacket is optional. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Women: A dress or pantsuit is required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

For dinner it does explicitly state jacket for men. And for both it does explicitly state no sandals for women.

If you stick strictly to the wording in the DCL guidelines, you're fine. The issue comes when we try to interpret the meaning of the guidelines or figure out how strict they really are. Bottom line--if you stick to the written guidelines, you will be admitted without question. Of course, that may mean that you're bringing extra clothing or whatever. The guidelines begin with the statement that the purpose is to preserve the atmosphere. That can happen in clothing other than that specifically named in the dress code.

Should they strictly enforce it? Probably. But there has always been some flexibility.

We saw a young adult wearing a shorts outfit in Palo. It was obviously a dress up outfit with sparkly stuff, etc. and the shorts and top were of the same fabric. The shorts were so short that you could see her cheeks below the hem. Nothing was said and she was seated along with her family. The really shocking thing is that we recognized her as one of the stage performers. It was the last week of their contract and several performers had family on board. It would seem to me that they would be more strict with CMs rather than less.....this wasn't even close to appropriate!

My husband was turned away at remy when he went with a sport coat and shirt, with no tie. He went back to room for his tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very surprised by this, since the DCL web site specifically says ties are optional. I wore a tie our first time, but not on subsequent trips. with no issues.

I think I'm going to print exactly what the website says and take it with me. If they question me, I'll just whip it out. I'm not trying to be disrespectful in any way - I just want them to be clear on what they want us to wear. By "them", I mean both DCL and Remy. They need to get together and publish the same dress code.

I think I'm going to print exactly what the website says and take it with me. If they question me, I'll just whip it out. I'm not trying to be disrespectful in any way - I just want them to be clear on what they want us to wear. By "them", I mean both DCL and Remy. They need to get together and publish the same dress code.

You've just nailed a big part of the problem on DCL. It sometimes seems that "shoreside" doesn't have a clue as to what really happens on the ships. Printing out the dress code certainly can't hurt