Considering a last minute first time ever solo cruise, best options?

WillandStacey

Due to some unfortunate events I have had to cancel 2 of my last vacations for 2017, I have quite a bit of air credit that I will lose at the end of May and more I will lose in June.

Schedules don't allow my wife and I to go together she went on the last one with my kids and they loved it but I couldn't go due to a torn calf muscle doctors orders about flying and blood clots or I would have gone.

So I sit with all this air credit and my wife can't get time off again so soon, I thought where or what would I like to do?!?! I am a cruiser more than any other vacation option, so I figured maybe check into a cruise on my own.

Are there any lines that don't double charge you for having just one to a room? I am pretty open to any cruise line, port, etc as long as Delta flies there from Detroit, but my delta credit ends May 31st so I would need to do something quick.

Never been in this sort of situation usually a well planned out family or wife and I cruise, not opposed to doing it just seems quite different since I don't even know if I can book a room without paying for 2 occupants etc.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

So I sit with all this air credit and my wife can't get time off again so soon, I thought where or what would I like to do?!?! I am a cruiser more than any other vacation option, so I figured maybe check into a cruise on my own.

Are there any lines that don't double charge you for having just one to a room? I am pretty open to any cruise line, port, etc as long as Delta flies there from Detroit, but my delta credit ends May 31st so I would need to do something quick.

Never been in this sort of situation usually a well planned out family or wife and I cruise, not opposed to doing it just seems quite different since I don't even know if I can book a room without paying for 2 occupants etc.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Check out cruiseplum.com; they're not a travel agent but an informational site for rounding up cruise offers, and they have a section for solo passengers that will show some options including the percentage supplement (yes, there are voyages without a 100% solo supplement, since most lines will have various sales on various times - 1 of them might fit what you're looking for).

WillandStacey: I have been a widow for 12 years and have gone on four cruises(panama canal and 3 Carib trips. I paid double each time and justified it to myself on the basis of the location, tour etc. were things I wanted to do even if I had to pay double and go alone. All the cruises were with Princess The food has declined a bit lately and there are no single activities, but..... I wanted to go, see and do what I wanted I have never regretted any of the four. They were quite enjoyable

Pelagic46

I cruise solo, primarily on RC. At this late date, you might be able to get a good deal, even solo, for a May cruise. Remember most ships sail close to capacity. Some lines/ships do have solo cabins, but they sell out quickly; also when I have priced them they have not always been the best deal. You don't pay double gratuities or taxes, so that helps. Would suggest looking at a few cruises and doing a "dummy" booking to check price.

Be sure to check the prices on those "no supplement" solo cabins -- sometimes they're more expensive than getting a larger cabin and paying the supplement.

By the way, Crystal charges about 30%-35% supplement on virtually all their voyages for window or balcony cabins......So not all cruiselines charge double. It's an excellent value for a solo passenger (not cheap, but a great value).