What does one do in / from Cadiz?

amywoods1609

If you are visiting Seville from Cadiz you are best taking a ships' excursion as the drive is at least 90 minutes each way if I remember correctly.Seville is lovely but Cadiz is nice to stroll round too and there is a small beach as well.We are visiting for the 3rd time in October and are going to visit Jerez city of horses and sherry!

mskaufman, Your pictures are wonderful. We are taking the ship's bus to Seville and then doing Seville on our own. I figure that we will only have about 4 hours in Seville. My first priority is to see the cathedral. I also want to take a carriage ride around the city to see the highlights. Due to arthritic feet and knees, I am trying to minimize walking. In the time we have available, I don't think we will have time to see the Real Alcazar. We will have seen the Alhambra in Granada so I am putting the Alcazar at lowest priority in Seville. What do you think?

Cadiz has so much to offer - unless you have visited before it is such a shame just to use it as an access port for Seville.

As the previous poster said, the HOHO bus gives an overview but was, to be honest, the least interesting HOHO tour we have ever done as the fascinating old city streets are not accessible to it.

Just wander around on foot - the city is very pedestrian friendly - and get a true taste of Andalucía.

Edited by campolady

mskaufman, Your pictures are wonderful. We are taking the ship's bus to Seville and then doing Seville on our own. I figure that we will only have about 4 hours in Seville. My first priority is to see the cathedral. I also want to take a carriage ride around the city to see the highlights. Due to arthritic feet and knees, I am trying to minimize walking. In the time we have available, I don't think we will have time to see the Real Alcazar. We will have seen the Alhambra in Granada so I am putting the Alcazar at lowest priority in Seville. What do you think?

We took the ship's tour to Seville. The one place you do not mention is the Plaza Espana. We made sure that we were going to get there and the 45 minutes did not seem like enough. It is really something different.

If you want to minimize walking, the carriage ride is the way to go. On our tour we saw the Plaza Espana, the Santa Cruz area, the Alcazar and then could go to the Cathedral on our own time. However, there was non trivial walking. Check where the bus is letting you off as the bus could not get that close to the cathedral.

Thanks Mskaufman. The bus lets us off at the old tobacco factory beside the University of Seville. On the map it looks to be about 3 or 4 blocks from the cathedral. We plan to take a carriage ride that takes us to the Plaza de Espana. The pictures of the Plaza are beautiful.

• 8 months later...
We took the ship's tour to Seville. The one place you do not mention is the Plaza Espana. We made sure that we were going to get there and the 45 minutes did not seem like enough. It is really something different.

On the tour to Seville from Cadiz, is there a large amount of walking? Hills? Is there time to rest along the way?

On the tour to Seville from Cadiz, is there a large amount of walking? Hills? Is there time to rest along the way?

Seville is fairly flat and so is Cadiz. I think Seville merits a lot more than a few hours. In Cadiz the cruise ships stop right in the centre of town. Opposite the dock there is a Tourist Information office. Cadiz is a city steeped in history and there is plenty to keep none occupied for more than a day.

It also has a magnificent beach and lovely, long promenade.

There are lots of good bars and restaurants for tapas or a full meal. Obviously, fish and seafood being the specialty.

It is easy to take the train to Jerez de la Frontera, which is much nearer than Seville.

If you are visiting Seville from Cadiz you are best taking a ships' excursion as the drive is at least 90 minutes each way if I remember correctly.Seville is lovely but Cadiz is nice to stroll round too and there is a small beach as well.We are visiting for the 3rd time in October and are going to visit Jerez city of horses and sherry!

Seville is wonderful. We took the ships transportation to Seville and then we were on our own. Everything was pretty close to walk to and the maps they gave us were easy to read. After about 6 hours we met the bus for the ride back to the ship. Not a place to be missed.

Seville is fairly flat and so is Cadiz. I think Seville merits a lot more than a few hours. In Cadiz the cruise ships stop right in the centre of town. Opposite the dock there is a Tourist Information office. Cadiz is a city steeped in history and there is plenty to keep none occupied for more than a day.

It also has a magnificent beach and lovely, long promenade.

Is the beach walkable? I know the route to a smaller beach but not this one.

The main beach is called Playa Victoria and is near the port. The number 7 bus stops very near to where the ship's dock ( in front of the tourist office). It runs the length of the beach but in the parallel road behind it. Wherever you get off you will be very close to the beach.

I'd say the full length is about 10km and it's very well maintained.

To me Seville is one of the prettiest cities we have visited. We took a ships tour that we enjoyed, I seem to remember it was about 1 1/2 hours each way. Our ship had quite a long port stop so we had time after the return to Cadiz to grab a quick bite and then set out on foot. Nice town and pretty beaches, but I personally wouldn't have wanted to miss Seville.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To me Seville is one of the prettiest cities we have visited. We took a ships tour that we enjoyed, I seem to remember it was about 1 1/2 hours each way. Our ship had quite a long port stop so we had time after the return to Cadiz to grab a quick bite and then set out on foot. Nice town and pretty beaches, but I personally wouldn't have wanted to miss Seville.

Sorry - Seville is grossly overrated in our opinion and, to us, Cadiz has much more 'real' Spanish charm. Not knocking your post - just stating our personal preference.

Sorry - Seville is grossly overrated in our opinion and, to us, Cadiz has much more 'real' Spanish charm. Not knocking your post - just stating our personal preference.

Overrated as far as?? We found the architecture, beautiful tile work, buildings, royal palace, cathedral, etc of Seville to be just gorgeous.

I see that you live in Spain so I'm sure there are many sights that you feel are nicer. But for us, Seville, Barcelona, and the Alhambra palace are some of the sights that we have treasured seeing over the years.

I can't remember how many times I've been to Seville. I have friends there who have become family and I love it. However, Cadiz also has a lot of history and much to offer, so that's why I have suggested staying in Cadiz or surrounding areas and give Seville much longer time, which it deserves.

I certainly don't think Seville is overrated at all.