I need help booking our next cruise please.

Hi all. I haven't been around for a while - the day after we got back from our cruise I started a very exciting and wonderful new job so I've been crazy busy. But it's been a few months and the bug is biting, I want to book our next cruise. With RCL announcing their 2018-2019 season soon I thought I should start looking.

We've only been on one cruise - overall we liked it but there were a few things we would change if given the chance. It was a 13 day South Pacific cruise on Explorer of the Seas.

I'm looking for suggestions about what to book, since we've only been on the one cruise before and we're still pretty clueless haha.

We liked the ship and its size. I got a little bored because I like to be doing stuff if I'm awake, whereas hubby would be happy to relax more on a quieter ship, but needs a big ship for its size and stability since he had some seasickness. The number of kids didn't bother us (mid January). We loved the shows every night. Would like a more observant dress code in the dining room (we both enjoy dressing up). We were upset to miss Lifou and didn't like Mare. Noumea was okay - we would be fine if it was a stop but only because of Amadee Island. We enjoyed Mystery Island. Absolutely loved every minute of Fiji. Would really like to go to Isle of Pines. We are not loyal to royal but we did like our experience with them though we felt a bit nickel and dimes at times.

One thing I'd like on our next cruise is a thermal suite. The gym on Explorer was okay, but the equipment was outdated so a gym with better facilities would be good.

Any suggestions or ideas regarding ships to consider? I like the look of ovation but the cruises I've looked at so far seem quite expensive. I also watched a doco on celebrity Solstice and was impressed. Pacific Aria looks okay as well.

Thanks for any help you can give us :)

Hi all. I haven't been around for a while - the day after we got back from our cruise I started a very exciting and wonderful new job so I've been crazy busy. But it's been a few months and the bug is biting, I want to book our next cruise. With RCL announcing their 2018-2019 season soon I thought I should start looking.

We've only been on one cruise - overall we liked it but there were a few things we would change if given the chance. It was a 13 day South Pacific cruise on Explorer of the Seas.

I'm looking for suggestions about what to book, since we've only been on the one cruise before and we're still pretty clueless haha.

We liked the ship and its size. I got a little bored because I like to be doing stuff if I'm awake, whereas hubby would be happy to relax more on a quieter ship, but needs a big ship for its size and stability since he had some seasickness. The number of kids didn't bother us (mid January). We loved the shows every night. Would like a more observant dress code in the dining room (we both enjoy dressing up). We were upset to miss Lifou and didn't like Mare. Noumea was okay - we would be fine if it was a stop but only because of Amadee Island. We enjoyed Mystery Island. Absolutely loved every minute of Fiji. Would really like to go to Isle of Pines. We are not loyal to royal but we did like our experience with them though we felt a bit nickel and dimes at times.

One thing I'd like on our next cruise is a thermal suite. The gym on Explorer was okay, but the equipment was outdated so a gym with better facilities would be good.

Any suggestions or ideas regarding ships to consider? I like the look of ovation but the cruises I've looked at so far seem quite expensive. I also watched a doco on celebrity Solstice and was impressed. Pacific Aria looks okay as well.

Thanks for any help you can give us :)

Although I like Aria, given what you say you prefer it misses a couple of points, namely the dress code (there isn't really any on P&O, except for costume nights), and wanting a suite and modern gym equipment - again it's at the older end like Explorer.

Based on your preferences you actually may want to consider Majestic Princess when it visits here, if timing is right. I think it should tick all of both your boxes best. Solstice is nice, but also 10 years old, and lacking in activities. Also, if you want a suite Solstice is _very_ expensive for those - you're looking at about $4000 p.p. for 10 nights. Even if timing isn't right for Majestic, I'd suggest Emerald or Golden (Princess) as the next best options. Ovation is also a consideration, but dress code will be a similar issue there and the entertainment is more family oriented than "quiet" - for what you're after it also has a couple of misses imo. The other mainstream lines that visit like NCL and HAL also miss on a couple of areas on your list, mostly due to age.

Although I like Aria, given what you say you prefer it misses a couple of points, namely the dress code (there isn't really any on P&O, except for costume nights), and wanting a suite and modern gym equipment - again it's at the older end like Explorer.

Based on your preferences you actually may want to consider Majestic Princess when it visits here, if timing is right. I think it should tick all of both your boxes best. Solstice is nice, but also 10 years old, and lacking in activities. Also, if you want a suite Solstice is _very_ expensive for those - you're looking at about $4000 p.p. for 10 nights. Even if timing isn't right for Majestic, I'd suggest Emerald or Golden (Princess) as the next best options. Ovation is also a consideration, but dress code will be a similar issue there and the entertainment is more family oriented than "quiet" - for what you're after it also has a couple of misses imo. The other mainstream lines that visit like NCL and HAL also miss on a couple of areas on your list, mostly due to age.

Thank you so much for this suggestion, it sounds perfect!

I will be honest - I know someone who recently sailed with Princess and was bored out of their mind the whole time because there was nothing to do (everyone he spoke to onboard said the same, and while this was his first cruise, other more frequent cruisers said it was the worst they'd ever been on). So I had crossed Princess off my list.

But the Majestic sounds bigger and like it has well organised activities. Hopefully I will be able to find a sailing that suits the times hubby and I can take off work.

Thanks again!

Cupcake Susie may I suggest you keep an eye on Cunard deals. They have plenty of activities during the day, such as dance classes, line dancing etc, fencing classes, plenty of variety in trivia during the day. It is maybe a cruise line you haven't thought of but meets your criteria on most aspects, including food....cheers V

I would suggest a Celebrity Cruise around NZ - which is usually fairly intensive. Book an Aqua class Balcony cabin gives you access to the thermal suites and Blu restaurant - beautiful.

Get your daily program, find things to do and go do them, no one plans these for you!! That's how you are active on a Cruise [emoji6]

Then enjoy!!

Just remember just because one couple didn't like a ship doesn't mean hundreds of others don't love it - it's all just an opinion [emoji3] that's what CC is here for.

(And get hubby some Bonine seasick tabs - brilliant!!)

Thank you so much for this suggestion, it sounds perfect!

I will be honest - I know someone who recently sailed with Princess and was bored out of their mind the whole time because there was nothing to do (everyone he spoke to onboard said the same, and while this was his first cruise, other more frequent cruisers said it was the worst they'd ever been on). So I had crossed Princess off my list.

Check which ship it was - I suspect Dawn, Sea or Sun. They provide good dining and service, but being older also have a lack of modern amenities and fitout so also wouldn't be recommended based on your list. I think the newer and larger ones are worth consideration though.

Cupcake Susie may I suggest you keep an eye on Cunard deals. They have plenty of activities during the day, such as dance classes, line dancing etc, fencing classes, plenty of variety in trivia during the day. It is maybe a cruise line you haven't thought of but meets your criteria on most aspects, including food....cheers V

Thank you! I hadn't thought of Cunard because I (perhaps incorrectly) thought they would be out of our budget. I'll look into it. The dance classes were one of the things we loved the most on our cruise!

I would suggest a Celebrity Cruise around NZ - which is usually fairly intensive. Book an Aqua class Balcony cabin gives you access to the thermal suites and Blu restaurant - beautiful.

Get your daily program, find things to do and go do them, no one plans these for you!! That's how you are active on a Cruise [emoji6]

Then enjoy!!

Just remember just because one couple didn't like a ship doesn't mean hundreds of others don't love it - it's all just an opinion [emoji3] that's what CC is here for.

We can't get Bonine in Australia which is a total bummer. They had them onboard though, for about $15AUD for a packet of 6 tablets from memory. Seemed pretty expensive!

I really try not to advise people, who to cruise or what itinerary, but look for aport intensive cruise.

New Zealand cruises look good for this. I need to figure out the best way to approach the ports though - I want to do lots of excursions, which makes the cost skyrocket!

Check which ship it was - I suspect Dawn, Sea or Sun. They provide good dining and service, but being older also have a lack of modern amenities and fitout so also wouldn't be recommended based on your list. I think the newer and larger ones are worth consideration though.

Yes, I think it was Sea Princess. I was so excited to think of his cruising adventures (he is 65 and has Parkinson's, and I thought cruising would be a fantastic way for him to travel). But now he refuses to consider another one :(

We can't get Bonine in Australia which is a total bummer. They had them onboard though, for about $15AUD for a packet of 6 tablets from memory. Seemed pretty expensive!

A lot of people find that Avomine is very effective. This was recommended to me by the medical centre on a ship several years ago and I have found it to be excellent. It is an antihistimine so it is best to take it at night. I find it can make me sleepy if I go to a movie after taking it, but while I am walking around I don't feel sleepy. The last time I bought it, Avomine costs $9.60 for 30 tablets at Chemist Warehouse. :)

CupcakeSusie,

I buy Bonine online from the US - they come in original sealed packaging - no problems yet. Much cheaper than $15 even taking $ exchange & mail into account Just saying [emoji57]

They don't make me tired but I take one at night as well. But this is a whole new line of discussion sorry. Way off topic.

Just find a cruise and enjoy it!!

Yes, I think it was Sea Princess. I was so excited to think of his cruising adventures (he is 65 and has Parkinson's, and I thought cruising would be a fantastic way for him to travel). But now he refuses to consider another one :(

What a shame!

Princess has it's really old ships based here and in the non school holiday period they fill up with older folk. Our recent cruise had an average age of 72 and that average was low because there were about 50 under 20s on board. Try for the newer ships and if you really like to dress for dinner I'd suggest staying within the Princess brand.

I won't quote all the posts - I'm on my phone and I don't know how to do multiple quotes sorry.

Awesome, thanks for the avomine and bonine suggestions! I'll make him take them as a preventative next time. He took kwells when he started feeling unwell but it would be good if he didn't get to that stage next time. Admittedly, our cruise did hit some rough seas. The decks were closed for a few days and the staff were commenting on how rough it was.

Wishful one, it really was a shame for him - he wanted to have some adventures and cruising seemed like a great way to do it :(

Mic, I think this is what we're beginning to lean towards. If we do NZ, is it easier to skip the shore excursions than in the South Pacific? We felt like we were missing out if we didn't book stuff in Fiji and Noumea. While we are really glad we did the excursions (they are counted as some of the best days of my life) they hiked up the cost considerably.

Regarding dressing up - I have no shame haha. I'm happy to wear a cocktail dress while my neighbour is in jeans, but DH would complain about having to wear a blazer instead of a polo if he didn't have to. If it comes down to it, I'd be okay sailing with RCL again if it ticks every other box. Are we able to transfer our loyalty points from RCL to Celebrity?

Thank you for all of this great advice. We still know nothing even though we've been on a cruise. I thought I'd be a bit less clueless, lol!!

NZ is very similar to Australia where it is very easy to organise port excursions for yourself prior to the cruise if you wish or do the ship's tours. We tend to mix it up and my hire a car and explore ourselves or just wander around the ports. If there are must see or do things for you, then I suggest booking in advance, whether it is private or through the ship.

RCI status and X status is reciprocal to a point,

As a benefit of Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus membership in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society, you will receive equivalent recognition in the Celebrity Cruises' Captain's Club. If you are currently a member of both loyalty programmes, you will automatically receive benefits based on your highest membership level of the two. For instance, if you are a Crown & Anchor Platinum member and a Captain's Club Classic member, you will automatically be entitled to the Select level in the Captain's Club. And if you are a Diamond or Diamond Plus member, you will automatically receive equivalent recognition as a Captain's Club Elite member. The benefits of the two programmes will remain independent, and the number of sailings a member accrues on each brand will not be combined. You will earn the cruise credit for the brand you are sailing with as long as you are a member of that brand's loyalty programme.

If you are a Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus member in the Crown & Anchor Society but not a member of the Captain's Club and plan on sailing on Celebrity Cruises, call the Loyalty Service Centre on 0844 493 5010 to enrol in equivalent recognition. And please remember to provide your Membership Number whenever you reserve a cruise holiday to receive all the benefits you deserve.

If you are a Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus member in the Crown & Anchor Society but not a member of the Captain's Club and plan on sailing on Celebrity Cruises, call the Loyalty Service Centre on 0844 493 5010 to enrol in equivalent recognition.

Probably better you don't call that number - unless you're in the UK (which your profile and this thread suggests you're not) ;) It'll cost you a lot!

The Australian number is 1800 754 500.

Probably better you don't call that number - unless you're in the UK (which your profile and this thread suggests you're not) ;) It'll cost you a lot!

The Australian number is 1800 754 500.

Thanks, I thought I had cut that paragraph out.

Thanks so much for that info! I really appreciate it.

Hubby wants to wait until after royal Caribbean release their 2018-219 sailings to make a decision (he thinks ovation sounds good). But the more I read about celebrity the more I like.

Does celebrity have as many activities onboard as rci? I know they don't have flow rider or rock climbing but in terms of things to do are they on par?

A lot of people find that Avomine is very effective. This was recommended to me by the medical centre on a ship several years ago and I have found it to be excellent. It is an antihistimine so it is best to take it at night. I find it can make me sleepy if I go to a movie after taking it, but while I am walking around I don't feel sleepy. The last time I bought it, Avomine costs $9.60 for 30 tablets at Chemist Warehouse. :)

I also have tried Avomine on our NZ cruise a couple of years ago, but found it ineffective. Dramamine/Travacalm has always worked a treat for me but is more expensive than Avomine, hence why I tried it. Lucky for me I took Travacalm as a back up plan because I needed it. Everyone is different, what works for some, doesn't for others. Myself, daughter and son all switched back to Travacalm but the Avomine worked well for my husband. Just have to find what works for you.

Bonine is just a brand name. You can buy the same drug in products sold in Australia; any product containing meclizine hydrochloride is "Bonine" in disguise. You can compare recommended doses too - Americans seem to be happy taking a much higher recommended dose than is seen in some local products. You can buy 300 pills of meclizine hydrochloride from Amazon US for $10 and there is no issue with having it delivered to this part of the world.

Bonine is just a brand name. You can buy the same drug in products sold in Australia; any product containing meclizine hydrochloride is "Bonine" in disguise. You can compare recommended doses too - Americans seem to be happy taking a much higher recommended dose than is seen in some local products. You can buy 300 pills of meclizine hydrochloride from Amazon US for $10 and there is no issue with having it delivered to this part of the world.

Meclizine hydrochloride is the active ingredient in "Sea Legs" which are available otc in NZ. They are chewable so get into your system quicker than tablets, so I've been told.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Forums mobile app

Does celebrity have as many activities onboard as rci? I know they don't have flow rider or rock climbing but in terms of things to do are they on par?

No. Tied into my earlier comment about Celebrity lacking in activities, they only have a Cruise director and activity manager onboard now; no specific activity staff. They do pull in staff from other areas to help with activities, but as that's not their only job they can't prepare and are more just there to run it.

On the whole, there's about 1-2 trivia sessions a day, bingo, maybe a craft, xbox or some other simple challenge, a few 1/2 hour dance classes and a couple of other shows (love/marriage, liars club) through the cruise.

Cupcake Susie if your decision is Solstice you won't go wrong - I definitely have them as the number one for ships sailing on a regular basis from Australia - and they come in my top 5 overall. It is a lovely ship with plenty to do, in fact I think there was more for adults on Solstice to do than RCI, as RCI really concentrates on activities for the young ones, but we did sail on Australia Day on Solstice so maybe they had more activities lined up because of the day.