Anybody done Cunard St. Petersburg ship tours??

bazzaw

Reading the CC ports sub-forums, it seems very popular to get together with a group of around 10 and arrange private tours in St Petersburg. However - at this time, (6 months before our cruise) our QV Roll call is DEAD quiet. I am suspecting that we will not be bale to conjur up such numbers. So - considering that we will probably never get to SPB again in this lifetime, we will probably have to do one of the ships tours. I think that the ship's tours largely parallel what can be had privately - except of course these are in multiple loads of 50 seater buses. But - if that is what we have to so, so be it.

Can anybody who has done Cunard ships tours in SPB kindly give any advice re all this??

Thanks

Barry

Reading the CC ports sub-forums, it seems very popular to get together with a group of around 10 and arrange private tours in St Petersburg. However - at this time, (6 months before our cruise) our QV Roll call is DEAD quiet. I am suspecting that we will not be bale to conjur up such numbers. So - considering that we will probably never get to SPB again in this lifetime, we will probably have to do one of the ships tours. I think that the ship's tours largely parallel what can be had privately - except of course these are in multiple loads of 50 seater buses. But - if that is what we have to so, so be it.

Can anybody who has done Cunard ships tours in SPB kindly give any advice re all this??

Thanks

Barry

Barry, I assume you are overnighting in St P. I did a Cunard tour that covered both port days and it was absolutely fantastic. I honestly couldn't have asked for better. As well as tramping round sundry palaces and the Hermitage and several of the cathedrals, the second day included a boat trip on the Neva River and the canals. We had a marvelous lunch each day and our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and informative. And, of course, another huge plus point was that, because it was a Cunard tour, on the second day it took all the stress of sitting in the more or less permanent St Petersburg traffic jam watching the minutes tick away until sailing time.

I would strongly recommend this tour but you will no doubt hear plenty of contrary opinions shortly.

J

Barry, a few years ago we used Red October and they were excellent. We were four couples, three were CC members the fourth were on our ship and Red October asked if they could be put with us. So maybe they already have a group that you can join. There were several emails between all of us till we decided on the final plan. Definitely one city where a small group is better. There are other tour operators that get good recommendations too.

PS re above post - they were very particular about getting us back to the ship on time!

Edited by Westaussie

I made some notes of our Baltic cruise on the following thread. St Petersburg notes are on days 9 and 10. We took the Cunard Panorama tour the first day and the Peter & Paul Fortress boat cruise on the second day.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1431007&highlight=st+Petersburg

From what I've read, I think you will get more done on one of the private tours.

We used A**a Tours, based in St Petersburg, in August 2010.

They had organised a group Visa, for ourselves and others from the ship who had also pre-booked with them. We found them on the UK trip advisor site. There were 10 of us in all, and although the Minibus had problems with the air-conditioning, another was found and replaced the original.

They were superb, the two day tour cost a great deal less than the one offered by Cunard (Queen Victoria). We even travelled on the subway - it was a Sunday, so the city was quiet.

The only thing that wasn't so good was the food (Day one)at the Greek Restaurant, the picnic on Day two was fine!

It was hard work, hot (40C), and extremely rewarding; our Guide was a professor at the University, she really knew her stuff!

Twynkle

Edited by twynkle

When we were in SPB we took 2 Cunard Ship tours - One was a trip around all the sights which was very good but we also took one which gave us an opportunity to ride on the underground trains. It was really great and we stopped at a cafe and had a local tea and cakes (3 each!!) we visited a church and an indoor market then back on the underground train - it was one of the best tours I have ever done!!

Barry,

I used a private tour company(Red October) We were only 4 people and it was much better then Cunard's tours. I believe that you can also get a tour for 2 people. We had a car and guide for 2 days. When we arrived at Catharine's Palace we walked to the front of a very long line past many of our follow Cunard passengers!!!

Our guide was incredible and being on our own meant we didn't have to wait for others or spend time shopping if we didn't want to. Cunard had some very good excursions, but I'd done my research and wanted to make the most of our time there. This is one city that you want to make sure that you do right!!!

We were able to arrange everything from home before we left. We paid a small deposit before we left and then paid for it in full when we arrived. Our guide was on the pier waiting for us with our visas.

Check out the CC boards for the Baltic region, there is plenty of great information. Of all 16 cruises we've taken, this port and private tour was the best thing I've done so far.

Bruce

Thanks all for the advice so far - it seems that all reports have been positive, both for those doing Cunard Tours and private. Re the costings - we have yet to get the current costings for Cunard tours - still too far away - but I note that someone here did the Cunard 2 day tour for $440 per person. While this appears expensive, the "cheaper" private tours are only that way if you can find others to go with you. ( which is our problem at this time)

Barry

These are the prices of the St Petersburg tours we had the choice of this year which I still have on my computer:-

GRAND ST PETERSBURG & THE HERMITAGE

Combine city sightseeing, luncheon, a choral performance and the celebrated Hermitage Museum on this grand tour. $188

Approx. duration: 8¾ hours - 8th June only – 8.45-17.30

PANORAMA OF ST PETERSBURG

A wonderful scenic drive which encompasses much of the rich architecture and history of this sprawling metropolis. $62.

Approx. duration: 3¾ hours - 8.45-12.30 and 13.45-17.30 – 8 & 9th June

THE HERMITAGE

No visit to St Petersburg would be complete without a tour of the world-famous Hermitage Museum – one of the premier art collections in the world. $91.

Approx. duration: 3¾ hours, 14.00pm-17.45

CATHERINE PALACE

The magnificence of Imperial Russian life in the 18th century awaits you in the setting of one of Russia’s most famous palaces. $87.

Approx. duration: 4 hours, 8.00am-12.00

PETER & PAUL FORTRESS & BOAT CRUISE

This tour offers a romantic overview of the city, as seen from a canal boat and also includes a visit to the Peter and Paul Fortress and Cathedral. $84.

Approx. duration: 3½ hours, 13.45pm-17.15pm

RUSSIAN FOLKLORE EVENING

A dazzling experience waits during this fabulous evening of Russian folkloric dance and music, staged at the Menshikov Concert Hall. $79

Approx. duration: 3¼ hours – 19.00-22.15

PETERHOFF PALACE AND HYDROFOIL

$105 – 8.30-12.30 – 4 hours

AN EVENING AT THE HERMITAGE

A special opportunity to enjoy the Museum’s collections - without the crowds - further enhanced by an exclusive classical concert. $198

Approx. duration: 3½ hours

HIDDEN SCENES

Glimpse everyday life in the city of St Petersburg. Visit an ornate Russian Orthodox Church, take a ride on the Metro system and visit a local market. $65

Approx. duration: 4 hours - 14.00-17.30 (3 ½ hours)

THE PALACES OF CATHERINE & PETERHOF

A unique chance to admire the splendid palaces and parks of the former summer residences of the Russian Czars. $195

Approx. duration: 9¼ hours – 8.00-17.15

THE HERMITAGE & GOLD ROOM

Tour one of the world’s greatest repositories of art, then visit the Hermitage’s Gold Room, home to extraordinary jewellery. $119

Approx. duration: 4 ½ hours – 8.30-13.00

BOAT CRUISE & YUSUPOV PALACE

Enjoy a relaxing boat trip passing many of St Petersburg’s landmarks, before visiting the delightful Yusupov Palace. $98

Approx. duration: 3½ hours – 13.30pm - 17.00pm

BALLET AT THE ALEXANDRINSKY

Spend a delightful evening at the Alexandrinsky Theatre and see for yourself why Russia is so famed for its ballet. $110

Approx. duration: 3¾ hours – 19.00-23.00

COMPLETE ST PETERSBURG

See the best of St Petersburg over two days and encounter the many highlights of this historic city. $399

Approx. duration: 2 days

GALA EVENING AT THE YUSUPOV PALACE - $445

ST PETERSBURG ON FOOT - $60 - 13.30-17.45

PAVLOVSK PALACE AND CARRIAGE RIDE - $110, 8.00-13.15

PICTURESQUE ST PETERSBURG (9th only) 1 ½ hours walking

Visit the spectacular Church of the Saviour on the Spilled Blood and take a scenic cruise by some of the city’s landmarks.

Duration: 3 ½ hours. $89, 9.00am-12.30pm

A DAY IN MOSCOW - $788

ALL PRIVATE TOURS ARE $455

Thanks all for the advice so far...While this appears expensive, the "cheaper" private tours are only that way if you can find others to go with you. ( which is our problem at this time)

Barry

We used A**A and they were exceptional. I'm thinking of going back to StP and probably would go with them again. There is no need to find others who will go with you as they simply group together all passengers booked with them. We had an excellent group of 14 who had never met before but were of similar mindset and physical ability. No waiting for the errant passenger who held up the whole bus! If you want to go in a smaller group, they can also arrange this for you. Food was fine, but if you're a vegetarian, take something from the ship as my first course was vegetables in broth followed for main by vegetables without the broth, but I think this may have been a translational issue. Next time I would simply specify does not eat meat as the first course the others had of cheese and salad looked great to me!

MrsH

MrsH

Yes - thank you for that. I am starting to get the picture that I should forget about the ships roll call - and simply contact a tour operator such as the one you suggested and ask them for assistance to group us up with others on the days that QV is in SPB.

I have to also compare just what you get during the different tours . It seems that the 2 day Cunard tours do not go to St Isaac's Cathedral and Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood - I have been told that these are 2 MUST SEES?? in SPB. However possibly the food supplied during Cunards tours may be better than the private tours?? I think that would not matter really for us - because more important to see things in SPB than eating !! :D We can eat later on the ship

Barry

When we were in SPB we took 2 Cunard Ship tours - One was a trip around all the sights which was very good but we also took one which gave us an opportunity to ride on the underground trains. It was really great and we stopped at a cafe and had a local tea and cakes (3 each!!) we visited a church and an indoor market then back on the underground train - it was one of the best tours I have ever done!!

My wife took two similar tours (I was laid up in the ship's hospital with some mysterious ailment). She had a great time and said she wouldn't have missed the underground journey for the world.

She had no complaints about overcrowding due to the coach numbers and thought the tours were good value. Of course lots of people prefer to be in a smaller group and it does save some time getting in and out of the coach. 50 people can take some time getting organised. Pays yer money .....

Shiny

MrsH

Yes - thank you for that. I am starting to get the picture that I should forget about the ships roll call - and simply contact a tour operator such as the one you suggested and ask them for assistance to group us up with others on the days that QV is in SPB.

I have to also compare just what you get during the different tours . It seems that the 2 day Cunard tours do not go to St Isaac's Cathedral and Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood - I have been told that these are 2 MUST SEES?? in SPB. However possibly the food supplied during Cunards tours may be better than the private tours?? I think that would not matter really for us - because more important to see things in SPB than eating !! :D We can eat later on the ship

Barry

Barry,

Our tour with Red O included lunchtime meals so we did not have to waste time returning to the ship. St. Isaac's Cathedral is a must see. Once inside you will be speechless. Traffic in SPB is terrible and traveling in mini vans and cars is much faster then the big busses.

Bruce

Cruachan

Thanks for those pics - absolutely magnificent , aren't they!! As an old atheist, I have to admit to being enthralled with some of these places of worship. I remember as a young man seeing St Pauls in London for the first time :)

We haven't received details about the shore tours that will be available, so at this time , I am only going on the generic port information provided on the Cunard website.

We have done quite a number of P&O UK shore tours - and generally speaking, we have been quite content with them. I am not averse to being on a bus with 50 passengers (we also have done a few Trafalgar coach tours in Europe over the years). My problem with them is - for a popular tour, there can be up to 10x50 seat buses allocated to the tour, and THEY all seem to rock up within minutes of one another at tour stops. :(

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Cruachan

We haven't received details about the shore tours that will be available, so at this time , I am only going on the generic port information provided on the Cunard website.

I would have thought most of them would be the same as the ones I listed above yesterday.

These are the prices of the St Petersburg tours we had the choice of this year which I still have on my computer:-

COMPLETE ST PETERSBURG

See the best of St Petersburg over two days and encounter the many highlights of this historic city. $399

Approx. duration: 2 days

"I would have thought most of them would be the same as the ones I listed above yesterday."

Ray

Yes - that is correct - but the details of those tours as described on the website leave a bit to be desired (IMO)

Do you still have the full details for the complete SPB tour ?

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I don’t have details of the 2 day tour on my computer but I still have my excursions booklet which gives the following places of visit: Peterhof Palace, The Hermitage, Yusupov Palace, Peter & Paul Fortress and boat cruise on the Fontaka River, the Moyka River and the Winter Canal.

Lunch is included both days at a leading city restaurant.

Hi, Barry, as I see you're now open to private tours, here's another vote for going that way.

1. You will see more. Not only will your small group get in/out of crowded attractions more quickly, but you'll also be able to get around town more speedily and maximize your time in St. Petersburg. One fact about SPb that I didn't fully appreciate until I was actually there is, the usual tourist trek through city sites and royal residences covers an expansive geographic area. And the traffic is terrible! :eek: So a small vehicle vs. a bus can be more flexible as to route, and a small group guide can also make spontaneous schedule reversals and adjustments to respond to traffic, weather and other adverse conditions. You can also agree to go "30 more minutes" vs. "sorry, we have to be back at the ship."
  2. You will likely pay the same or less than you'd pay for Cunard shorex unless you arrange a custom vs. stock itinerary. Even then, the upcharge will be reasonable and well worth it. We requested a personalized itinerary to include a particular war museum, restaurant and evening performance that weren't on stock itineraries...with all those modifications, the per person cost still only slightly exceeded what we would have paid for similar ship's tours.
  3. You will have far more one-on-one time with your guide and thus learn more about what you're interested in learning.

You've probably already been there, but just in case, you can identify and get feedback on the various private tour operators cruisers have used, as well as pick up tips about the tour options they offer, on the Baltics ports of call forum .

And on the point of your selected tour operator placing you with other pax who've expressed interest, don't forget that in addition to Cunard pax, there may be pax from other ships in port at the same time.

Cruachan

Thanks for those pics - absolutely magnificent , aren't they!! As an old atheist, I have to admit to being enthralled with some of these places of worship.

Barry,

I've re-created my two original slide shows of the Cunard two day excursion. You will find them here:

http://www.shipworld.org/st-petersburg-cunard-two-day-tour/

I apologise for the lack of detail in the captions but my original notes were lost when the my website went down.

J

I don’t have details of the 2 day tour on my computer but I still have my excursions booklet which gives the following places of visit: Peterhof Palace, The Hermitage, Yusupov Palace, Peter & Paul Fortress and boat cruise on the Fontaka River, the Moyka River and the Winter Canal.

Lunch is included both days at a leading city restaurant.

Thanks - yes, that is my reading of the coverage of the tour ( from the Cunard website) They don't go to St Isaac's Cathedral and the Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood. But do go to a "leading city restaurant". :) I do happen to enjoy "leading city restaurants" :) - but a year after we return , which one will I regeret not doing the most :) - the restaurant or the churches?? :)

Decisions - decisions - it would be all so easier if we were very rich and could come back a second time!!:rolleyes:

Barry

Barry,

I've re-created my two original slide shows of the Cunard two day excursion. You will find them here:

I apologise for the lack of detail in the captions but my original notes were lost when the my website went down.

J

Cruchan,

Were you on the QV in 2008 in St. Petersburg?

Bruce

Barry,

J

Cruachan

Absolutely wonderful slideshow - thank you!!

It is amazing that after all those years of the Revolution and then the Soviets, that anything still remains.

We went to Versailles once some years ago - wonderful building and grounds, but unfortunately almost empty. Probably the most impressive of these kind of things that we have seen was the Royal Palace in Madrid. It was almost as though the King of Spain had just left ( which actually was the case) . Also the rebuilt old town in Warsaw is a wonder :)

What fabulous things we humans can do when we want to - also what destruction we can do also when we want to

Barry