Wedding anniversary whilst on board

Pjran

Hi

We will be on QE whilst celebrating our wedding anniversary.

I remember, years ago, P&O had a reception for couples, do Cunard do something similar?

Pj

[quote name=Pjran;38257280

I remember' date=' years ago, P&O had a reception for couples, do Cunard do something similar?

[/quote]

Hi PJ, what a lovely idea. We are travelling QM2 every year since 2008 on our wedding aniversary, 2014 will be a special jubilee for us.

Cunard doesn't care at all. They don't keep this on record, even when you arrange a formal renewal of the vow, which is a nice thing to do to the best of all wives. Very unprofessional.

There is also no reception for couples, but always many couples on board celebrating their wedding anniversary.

You may arrange in advance flowers and champagne. I recommend to have your dinner on that day at the Verandah. Book the table early and tell them about the occasion. they will give you an unforgettable evening. And - tell your attendant/butler early, they do care.

Have a wonderful trip!

Hi

I remember, years ago, P&O had a reception for couples, do Cunard do something similar?

Pj

I have never come across a reception for couples celebrating their wedding anniversaries in the daily programme. It sounds like a nice idea though.

Can someone please explain to me exactly why Cunard or any company should host a reception or a party for someone's wedding anniversary. Is nothing sacred nowadays? Wedding anniversaries are private affairs between the two participants (more in some religions) and if they want to celebrate the event they are free to do so. As to Cunard not keeping records of when their guests married, I would ask just what business it is of theirs when or if someone is or was married.

Can someone please explain to me exactly why Cunard or any company should host a reception or a party for someone's wedding anniversary. Is nothing sacred nowadays? Wedding anniversaries are private affairs between the two participants (more in some religions) and if they want to celebrate the event they are free to do so. As to Cunard not keeping records of when their guests married, I would ask just what business it is of theirs when or if someone is or was married.

I totally agree!

Cats2010 :)

My World Club profile includes my wedding date, but Cunard apparently ignores that info when you're onboard.

As does mine, I think Cunard work on the privacy bit that unless you say something, they wont either. I know we celebrated our anniversary on QM2 one year and were given a small box of very exclusive chocolates and flowers, but we had to tell them. Mention it to your travel agent or email Cunard if you have booked direct.

I forgot to mention that Celebrity also throw a bash for couples celebrating their anniversaries. I only asked on here knowing that P&O and Cunard are part of Carnival.

I appreciate your views but when you've married this long it's nice to have someone to talk to;)

Hi

Pj

Congratulations on your anniversary and I would like to think that if I wanted to celebrate this occassion then hopefully I could contact the correct folks on the ship to arrange whatever I had planned but would the onus be on me to make sure I got what I wanted?

OK, but if so, why does Cunard include the wedding date in the World Club profile? :confused:

OK, but if so, why does Cunard include the wedding date in the World Club profile? :confused:

That is a very good question, I didn't realise until you mentioned it that they did. I have just checked my CWC profile which I wasn't aware that I could and my wedding date isn't shown.

Until 2011 Cunard offered a complimentary anniversary package - on request. It was noted only on the UK site, but those of us on the "wrong side of the pond" could have it - assuming we found out about it - by sending an e-mail to the Valencia, California, office. Cunard required proof of the wedding date, so we sent a copy of the marriage certificate. You didn't have to be on board on the actual anniversary. They were fairly generous - a month, maybe two, on either side was acceptable.

We had this twice on QM2: May of 2010 and 2011. We received a bottle of California bubbly (which tasted much better than the you-know-what from France), a half dozen roses, a box of chocolates, a certificate from the captain and a voucher for one free "formal portrait", although it could be used for any photo you wished. A cake was also presented in the restaurant. One of the certificates from the captain said: "Thank you for deciding to celebrate your aniversary with Cunard."

Now you have to pay for any of these things.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Typo (my spell-check doesn't work with this site)

When my husband and I sailed on Caronia for our 30th wedding anniversary we were invited to a cocktail reception in the Captains quarters.

That must have been a wonderful treat and a great memory. I was trying to do the maths as Caronia was retired in 66/67 and then I recalled Vistafjord. :eek::D:eek:

Edited by capnpugwash

That must have been a wonderful treat and a great memory. I was trying to do the maths as Caronia was retired in 66/67 and then I recalled Vistafjord. :eek::D:eek:

I remember sailing on Caronia. It certainly wasn't in the 60's, maybe only 10 or so years ago :confused:

Until 2011 Cunard offered a complimentary anniversary package - on request. It was noted only on the UK site, but those of us on the "wrong side of the pond" could have it - assuming we found out about it - by sending an e-mail to the Valencia, California, office. Cunard required proof of the wedding date, so we sent a copy of the marriage certificate. You didn't have to be on board on the actual anniversary. They were fairly generous - a month, maybe two, on either side was acceptable.

We had this twice on QM2: May of 2010 and 2011. We received a bottle of California bubbly (which tasted much better than the you-know-what from France), a half dozen roses, a box of chocolates, a certificate from the captain and a voucher for one free "formal portrait", although it could be used for any photo you wished. A cake was also presented in the restaurant. One of the certificates from the captain said: "Thank you for deciding to celebrate your aniversary with Cunard."

Now you have to pay for any of these things.

Thank you. I thought they used to offer some complimentary package. Another money saving tactic.

I remember sailing on Caronia. It certainly wasn't in the 60's, maybe only 10 or so years ago :confused:

The original Caronia retired in 66/67 but much later the Vistafjord was renamed Caronia, this was the one on which you sailed.:o

It was in 2000 and the Captain was Ray Heath.

Yes, a special memory, we were very privieged.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any up to date information on wedding anniversaries? I was asked to provide details of any such occasion when booking online and was even asked how many years we will be marking.

Any information would be helpful. Being on the ship is enough expense as it is so we won't be going out of our way to pay any more and we don't really do anything fancy for our anniversary normally, other than a massive holiday for our 10th. We're finding that we'll be spending more and more as it is!!! Also we have been given a complimentary $100 onboard credit. If anyone can tell us how this works we'd appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!!!

We were on board for our wedding anniversary 2 years ago. I had mentioned it to our TA when we booked, there was no acknowledgement from Cunard.

We had a nice dinner in a very quiet Todd English.

Sounds like a big fat nothing then!

We'll make our own fun! Being on the ship is pretty cool regardless!

It was my 50th birthday a week after our last cruise and despite telling TA and being asked which day we wanted to celebrate it I got nothing. It will be my husband's 70th the day after we leave QM2 in August and my dad's 78th while we are on the ship but I am expecting nothing.

Not that I'm entitled to anything at all, is this a common thing on cruise liners? I'm used to 5 star hotels providing complimentary champagne for special occasions. Is this the case with most cruise operators? If so why do you think Cunard omit such gratuities?

We celebrated our 25th with a crossing and (more or less) as a test I didn't mention it once onboard. The big day came without any celebration from the wait staff. I mentioned it to our tablemates and one of them quietly said something to the maître d' and the next night there was cake and the waiters gathered to serenade us with "Let Me Call You Sweetheart."

I've seen a similar thing in the onboard catalog more recently so I don't know if a similar celebration is available without a charge on someone's bill.