vaccinations for world cruise

Fayecruises

Hi

Here is the link to the CDC travel vaccine recommendations website, put in that you are on a cruise ship and where you are going and pages of recommendations will come up.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

I would print out the list and either take it to your family doctor and ask for prescriptions for the needed vaccines or find a local travel clinic. With prescriptions some pharmacies can administer the vaccines or if you go to a travel clinic they can recommend and administer.

Having sailed on several world cruises and also done a lot of business travel I would seek the help of a medical professional that specializes in travel. Bring with you your itinerary and also note any tours you are going on. For example, taking a safari overland might necessitate needing certain vaccinations based on where the safari is.

If you are located in the USA a place that I've used who has offices across many places is Passport Health at http://www.passporthealth.com

Keith

Recommend you get your yellow fever vaccinations as soon as possible as several countries require this (and not all are in Africa). We received ours from our health department and we had to wait a few months until they had adequate supplies. Some cruise itinerary will show you which vaccinations are required just as which countries require visas.

Also check the 'must have' vs. 'recommended' vaccinations as these lists are hugely different. We have traveled and continue to travel the world, been in something like 70 countries, all continents and have only gotten yellow fever vaccinations. We have never had an issue (plus I have an auto-immune disease so am more susceptible), have several friends who travel like we do who only have yellow fever vaccinations and have had no issues. My MDs recommend against anything that was not required as very expensive and not really needed unless you are spending a lot of time in the way out of the way regions of a country.

There were no required immunizations for the World Voyage I went on. We did not go to South America and our only stop in Africa was supposed to be Egypt which was later cancelled. I was referred by my doctor to a travel clinic and they recommended pneumonia, flu (which I always get anyway), Hepatitis A, and tetanus.

Definitely talk with your physician about what is best for you.

The only required vaccination that one will ever see is Yellow Fever and that will be itinerary specific. And that can change from year to year. For example in 2013 a Yellow Fever Vaccination was required yet we sailed the same areas on the last segment of our 2015 World Cruise and this time it was not required.

For required, the cruise line will advise.

For recommended my best advice is to see a health care provider who specializes in travel. Go over the vaccinations you already have taken and their year and bring a copy of your itinerary with you and most importantly a list of shore excursions. For example, there are a couple of vaccinations I have taken because we went on overlands in South Africa which we might not have taken if not for the overlands.

Keith

• 11 months later...

Remember your health is important. Sometimes it is good to get recommended vaccines. On HAL 2015 cruise, that traveled to Asia, a passenger had serious stroke symptoms and was send to a hospital in Hawaii. The passenger didn't have the normal presentation of a stroke and it was found that she had Japanese Encelphitiris from a mosquito bite from Asia. A friend of my son picked up a parasite in Costa Rica and 10 years later, it is still in his body despite medical treatment. Unfortunately your family doctor might not have enough knowledge to help you here. I would check with the CDC website And bring the print out to your family do ot or go to a traveler's clinic. They can recommend and administer the vaccines. Or you can get prescriptions from your family doctor and go to Costco Pharmacy (the big box store)... You don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy; and at least in my state they will get and administer the vaccines. I personally would only get one or two vaccines at a time.

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker

There are issues everywhere and 1-off horror stories as cited above. Now that the Zika virus is more prevalent in the Caribbean, does that preclude your travel to that part of the world when you can be exposed to the mosquito here in the US - think about it.

One needs to decide about vaccinations, which fall into 2 categories:

** Required, which seems like it is only Yellow Fever and

** Recommended.

You need to check each country for what is required; the previously mentioned CDC website is a great source of information.

Have traveled extensively in all parts of the world with the required yellow fever plus hepatitis vaccinations as a past health care worker and have never had any issues.