It's the Star of the Show... Let's Talk About the Dress!

dbrown13

I'm curious what type of dress you have chosen for your cruise wedding, how long do you plan to wear it and what you plan to do with your dress afterwards?

For our upcoming nuptials on April 30th I have opted for a Maggie Sottero dress that I found on Tradesy for less than half of the usual cost! I'm a bride on a budget and couldn't have been happier with the floor sample that I received.

I do plan to wear my dress the entire first day of the cruise. I figure, "Why not?!?" I spent good money on this dress and I may only get to wear it this once so I should get the most out of it right? The ceremony and reception are so short and by the time we finish the Muster and take our photos it will be just about time for dinner so I think I'll bask in it for as long as possible.

I have been debating what to do with my dress after the wedding. I know I don't want to spend the money to preserve it and I don't plan on passing it down to anyone... so I've been considering a "trash the dress" session in Cozumel. We haven't made any plans and my FH thinks it might just be nice to get dressed up again and take photos out on the beach, so we'll have to see where our budget is and if we want to spend the time getting all dolled up again. What are you thoughts?

dress.jpg.817d7b9ee2f1fd381127e532117cb0f8.jpg

I also went with a maggie sottero dress. First fitting March 3rd eek! I ended up spending more than I wanted but I plan on wearing that baby all day!! Congrats!!!

ps doesnt quite look like that on me as im a bit more valuptuous lol

JSM1428_Front.jpg.71d8d0d88848c00ed1e7a46c821a4e57.jpg

I also went with a maggie sottero dress. First fitting March 3rd eek! I ended up spending more than I wanted but I plan on wearing that baby all day!! Congrats!!!

[ATTACH]375336[/ATTACH]

My First fitting is Tuesday the 9th... talk about stress!!! I bought my dress a year ago when I was at my goal weight and have gained about 15 lbs since then after tearing my ACL. I'm I can fit into it and that I don't lose too much more weight between the alteration and the wedding! :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Well im already almost two years past my cruise wedding but figured i would put in my two cents. I purchased a Stella York because i loved the designer and wanted a light dress (all of her dresses were super light) model picture....

ry%3D400

Of course looks much different on everyone, my husband didn't want to do the whole day thing but we ended up doing it anyway. We had an island wedding with full reception on the island; got back to the ship around 4:30; and then ended up hanging out out and doing dinner in our wedding garb.

Word of warning - figure out your bathroom situation with your dress, they are really small bathrooms on the ship. I fortunately (have no idea how) went the entire day from about 10am to 9pm without going to the bathroom. which was a good thing because my dress was fitted extra around my thighs to get the shape I wanted. I would have had to take the entire thing off to go to the bathroom. Didn't think of that at the fittings!

We ended up on our honeymoon cruise (was lucky enough to be able to to a b2b) doing a trash the dress on St. Thomas with our wedding photographer. Dress only went into the water. I came home, dry cleaned it and hung it back up in its garment bag, dress is still fine.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I think your dresses are perfect! I had my fitting and should be picking up my dress on March 15th!

My dress is HEAVY! I had to make sure the alterations were just perfect and tight enough to hold it up. I unfortunately didn't consider the weight of my dress in advance so we'll see how I do. Now that I'm thinking of the weight... if I get in the water with that dress I might not be able to get out with it :eek:

[ATTACH]375336[/ATTACH]

Let us know how your fitting goes tomorrow!! Good luck!

Now that I'm thinking of the weight... if I get in the water with that dress I might not be able to get out with it :eek:

I would be really leery about going in the water with a heavy dress. Mine was light with a shorter train and when the photographer asked if I was comfortable floating in the water with my dress I had to say no. It was hard to walk out of the water at only waist deep, I fell a couple of times.

• 9 months later...

I plan on getting married in a port day on the beach and then going back unto the ship to have the reception. I am basically going to be putting the tulle skirt over the tight form fitting dress for most of the ceremony and reception but will take off the skirt and just wear the dress to dinner and around the ship that night.

dress.jpg.eb41dacc220e343d5e19edc9251a55c4.jpg

Skirt.jpg.1881ea0773be3b1b8f6482d83239991b.jpg

163212407_Finaldress.jpg.0336b9af78b4432bcfc537e8864e68f8.jpg

I plan on getting married in a port day on the beach and then going back unto the ship to have the reception. I am basically going to be putting the tulle skirt over the tight form fitting dress for most of the ceremony and reception but will take off the skirt and just wear the dress to dinner and around the ship that night.

Ugh, I love this so much! I seriously considered doing something along this line.

I wound up choosing this lovely one:

1.jpg.2dc413a14350945186551c54a2cb2981.jpg

2.jpg.84830d43c7e3fe49b8fa4834bdc25ff8.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Well im already almost two years past my cruise wedding but figured i would put in my two cents. I purchased a Stella York because i loved the designer and wanted a light dress (all of her dresses were super light) model picture....

ry%3D400

Of course looks much different on everyone, my husband didn't want to do the whole day thing but we ended up doing it anyway. We had an island wedding with full reception on the island; got back to the ship around 4:30; and then ended up hanging out out and doing dinner in our wedding garb.

Word of warning - figure out your bathroom situation with your dress, they are really small bathrooms on the ship. I fortunately (have no idea how) went the entire day from about 10am to 9pm without going to the bathroom. which was a good thing because my dress was fitted extra around my thighs to get the shape I wanted. I would have had to take the entire thing off to go to the bathroom. Didn't think of that at the fittings!

We ended up on our honeymoon cruise (was lucky enough to be able to to a b2b) doing a trash the dress on St. Thomas with our wedding photographer. Dress only went into the water. I came home, dry cleaned it and hung it back up in its garment bag, dress is still fine.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Bo59rt - I love your photos!!! I have a question for you. I'm getting married on the Carnival Sunshine on 12/23/2017, the day of embarkation. I'd love to do a "trash the dress" photo at one of our ports. How did you arrange that? Was it something you had to ask for prior to sailing, or did you just ask the photographer to do it once on the cruise? I really love the idea! Thanks. :)