Art Buyers Beware

Two years ago (2014 or before), a method was developed to put a serigraph on canvas. The problem is that the artist did not have to put the number on the front of the canvas. It is put on the back. However, it may be covered by the frame. The problem is that some art auctions are now putting 1-of-a-kind prices on these, even though there are say 500 of them. They are even giving them the 'CP' designation. These are 'original' paintings, but you need to explicitly ask if the painting is 1-of-a-kind. Getting it in writing is even better. This is a classic case of technology getting ahead of the law...

Note: I noticed that a CP painting was a take-off on my last cruise, which if it was 1-of-a-kind is very unlikely.

Note: The serigraph on canvas looks great and does not have a plastic or glass cover.

Note: A serigraph is a computer version of the painting.

Edited by clarkterry

And, this is why they hand out glasses of Champagne at an art auction on a ship to dull the thought process and make that paint by numbers painting seem outstanding.

Me, I go for the free champagne and watch the show. :D

Bob

• 9 months later...
I never thought cruise art mattered, other than something to hang in your foyer or great room.

It's not like the "art" is a Van Gogh, Monet or Seurat.

Agreed. We've bought a bunch of "sort of" paintings over the years because it was fun and we liked them. However we would never spend more than $175 for one. When we got home we did hang them in various places and like them.However we liked going to the auction more than the paintings. Sort of like an excursion. The champagne sucked but heck, it was a kick to drink champagne and hold up a number. Couldn't believe the number of people who paid big bucks for stuff. Oh, well I'm sure they liked it. Just not my cup of tea.

• 1 month later...
You can put what I know about art into a thimble. What is "CP" and why does it matter?

CP - "Cancellation proof. When a limited edition of a lithograph or other press-process print has been completed, the stone or plate from which the prints have been made is defaced ("cancelled") so that no more prints can be made. A single print, the cancellation proof, is then made to show graphically that the edition of prints has indeed been limited in the most definitive way, by destroying the "negative" from which the prints were made".

Basically, if this doesn't exist, then they could be lying about how many actual copies there are.

I noticed the beautiful art on my first Celebrity cruise. I admired one particular painting enough to take a pic of the signature so I could look up the artist. Turns out it was a rather famous one, and I was suspicious about it being on a cruise ship up for auction. Sure enough, it was on my next Celebrity cruise as well - THAT's when I KNEW!

I know that a lot of people do NOT know - these are not originals. These are digital copies with a few strokes of paint layered on top to look like a real painting, and even if they advertise that these will cost you far less than a master (which is true) they are still way overpriced for what they really are. I would still love to have that one that I like so much, though. I bet it will be on my next Celebrity cruise next week! :D

CP - "Cancellation proof. When a limited edition of a lithograph or other press-process print has been completed, the stone or plate from which the prints have been made is defaced ("cancelled") so that no more prints can be made. A single print, the cancellation proof, is then made to show graphically that the edition of prints has indeed been limited in the most definitive way, by destroying the "negative" from which the prints were made".

Basically, if this doesn't exist, then they could be lying about how many actual copies there are.

I noticed the beautiful art on my first Celebrity cruise. I admired one particular painting enough to take a pic of the signature so I could look up the artist. Turns out it was a rather famous one, and I was suspicious about it being on a cruise ship up for auction. Sure enough, it was on my next Celebrity cruise as well - THAT's when I KNEW!

I know that a lot of people do NOT know - these are not originals. These are digital copies with a few strokes of paint layered on top to look like a real painting, and even if they advertise that these will cost you far less than a master (which is true) they are still way overpriced for what they really are. I would still love to have that one that I like so much, though. I bet it will be on my next Celebrity cruise next week! :D

Thank you, now the thimble is a little bit fuller.:)

• 2 weeks later...