Plans settled for the most part but more questions...

tymike

Hi all...

Many of you helped me plan my honeymoon PG cruise way back when so here is an update and a plea for some additional information.

We are booked on the 10 night cruise embarking on 7/5/17. We will be flying in on Air France arriving very early on 7/2/17. I'm thinking we will go to the grocery store when it opens and then catch the first available ferry to Moorea where we have a room booked from 7/2-7/5. Then back to Tahiti and embark (:)) on the PG for our cruise. After we are forced off the cruise on the 15th of July we have a room at the IC Tahiti and we have a very early Air France flight out of PPT on the 16th.

Questions:

While in Moorea (or in Tahiti on that first day before we ferry over) where should we shop for snacks, drinks etc. to bring to the hotel to save on breakfast costs?

Can we bring fresh flowers onto the ship from Moorea? We love flowers on every cruise! :)

Can we bring alcohol (duty free from Los Angelos?) onto the ship?

Is it cheaper to buy wine and/or beer while in Moorea if we can bring it onboard? If so where can we purchase this?

When can I order the laundry package. A definite 'must ' on my list as I want to pack light.

Thanks as always!! :)

I would shop at the Champion marche near the ferry terminal in Moorea.

Yes you can bring liquor on board if you like. You may have forgotten that this cruise includes liquor. A lot of things are included but if you like high end wines, champagnes or scotches you can bring it. Let us know what you are thinking off and one of us will let you know if it's already included. Quite a few standard beers are included, certainty anything you get in Moorea so no point in bringing this onboard.

Ask your agent to book your laundry package at any time. You will pay for it on board.

It most likely will be much easier to get flowers in Papeete and since you are embarking on a Wednesday Le Marche will be open late into the afternoon. Drop your stuff off at the ship then go across the street. You won't have extra stuff to carry on the ferry. Why buy booze to bring on board? As Emdee says, it's all included! But it in LA then drink it before you board. If you are. It a wine snob you can actually pick decent inexpensive boxed wine in French Polynesia. By the way at the grocery store think about lunches too. Baguettes are cheap! Get some cheese too! Bring some Saran Wrap and aluminum foil!

You picked a good sailing. I know a few people on that one and you will have a very special guest speaker on board.

I have been noticing many more people are flying Air France than I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by twin123185

Air France has confirmed updated planes from March. ATN won't have theirs updated until 2018.

Regarding flowers in case you have booked the honeymoon package they do give you a very nice flower arrangement. Also if you are in a B cabin. I usually have to send it to someone as I am allergic to so many flowers.

Agreed, no need to purchase stuff in Tahiti before heading over to Moorea. Where are you staying in Moorea? this would help us guide you to a good store that may be within walking distance. As mentioned, the largest store is the champion store just south of the ferry terminal. As twin mentioned, the best location for flowers to bring aboard will be at the market just a few blocks away from the ship. If there's a particular brand of alcohol you like you can ask to see if they already have that on board, they have a surprisingly good selection. On your return you can leave the ship early to catch the Air France flight. I've done this before and it saves them money I'm not having a hotel room the last night however, you do need to leave the ship early. :eek:

Agreed, no need to purchase stuff in Tahiti before heading over to Moorea. Where are you staying in Moorea? this would help us guide you to a good store that may be within walking distance. As mentioned, the largest store is the champion store just south of the ferry terminal. As twin mentioned, the best location for flowers to bring aboard will be at the market just a few blocks away from the ship. If there's a particular brand of alcohol you like you can ask to see if they already have that on board, they have a surprisingly good selection. On your return you can leave the ship early to catch the Air France flight. I've done this before and it saves them money I'm not having a hotel room the last night however, you do need to leave the ship early. :eek:

Well, I beg to disagree!

AF flight leaves On Sunday. Ship docks Saturday so no point in leaving early. In fact one has to stay an additional night in a hotel!

Hi to all of you wonderful sources of all things vital to my cruise/honeymoon! I'll try to respond to each of your posts by your screen names.

Emdee; I did know that it is an all inclusive cruise but I do want to bring champagne on the cruise and we are staying three nights at the Hilton on Moorea pre cruise so any less expensive alcohol is much appreciated.

Thank you for the information about how to order the laundry package! I will email my TA tomorrow.

Re: the AF airplanes vs. ATN planes...you are correct. I booked our flights about a month ago with AF but got an email about a week ago with new seats assigned. I went to flightguru dot com and foung that my plane was reconfigured to the new seats in business class. :) I'm a happy traveler!

Nice to know that we will have flowers in our B cabin!

Twin: Re: what to shop for...we want to get food/drinks to offset the cost of eating at the hotel, especially for breakfast. We are staying at the Hilton but it appears that the Hilton credit card only gets us internet but not breakfast so we want baquetes/cheese etc. We only want to bring champagne to the hotel so we don't have to pay the hotels' price for same .

Thank you all so very, very much!

Sorry Twin...dinner was ready and I didn't have time to respond to everyone...

We are staying at the Hilton on Moorea and really only want to bring champagne and some food for breakfast etc.

Thanks so much for your question and for your energy to help my trip!

Emdee...you are correct on the final night after cruise if flying on AF. We are staying at the IC Tahiti for one night after the cruise due to the AF flights. We are in a low level room as we have to wake up at 'O' Dark Hundred hours to make our AF flight the next morning!

I'm very good with our decision to fly AF vs. ATN. We got a good credit from PG and I really don't want to be uncomfortable on the flights or have the food on ATN that I've seen pics of here. We are flying from NYC to LAX in premium economy on both ways and business class from LAX -PPT on AF both ways.

The new AF seats seem excellent.

Thanks as always...

Hi to all of you wonderful sources of all things vital to my cruise/honeymoon! I'll try to respond to each of your posts by your screen names.

Emdee; I did know that it is an all inclusive cruise but I do want to bring champagne on the cruise and we are staying three nights at the Hilton on Moorea pre cruise so any less expensive alcohol is much appreciated.

Thank you for the information about how to order the laundry package! I will email my TA tomorrow.

Re: the AF airplanes vs. ATN planes...you are correct. I booked our flights about a month ago with AF but got an email about a week ago with new seats assigned. I went to flightguru dot com and foung that my plane was reconfigured to the new seats in business class. :) I'm a happy traveler!

Nice to know that we will have flowers in our B cabin!

Twin: Re: what to shop for...we want to get food/drinks to offset the cost of eating at the hotel, especially for breakfast. We are staying at the Hilton but it appears that the Hilton credit card only gets us internet but not breakfast so we want baquetes/cheese etc. We only want to bring champagne to the hotel so we don't have to pay the hotels' price for same .

Thank you all so very, very much!

You will also get a bottle of Roderer in your B cabin.

Since you are a champagne lover just note that sometimes the higher end bottles stay on shelves in tropical parts and get off tasting.

Also if you have a specific brand you like you may or may not get it in Tahiti.

I would either buy your champagne in duty free or in the Carrefours in Papeete. This is not like St.Barts where high end products like Chamoagne and caviar move very fast.

PG does have champagnes on their reserve list. Sparkling wines are included.

PG list: Jordan Russian River Chardonnay $60 BevMo- $38.99 plus tax

Veuve Cliuot Brut $94 BevMo-$45.99

They also have Dom Perignon and Cristal but did not look these brands up on BevMo.

Their mark up is not great and there is no tax added. If you are packing light light you might consider packing your champagne in your suit case.

Duty free in LAX might be another option to avoid weight issues.

Thanks so much to all for all replies! I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this bucket list trip and all your collective knowledge and willingness to assist with putting it all together is priceless.

:)

PG list: Jordan Russian River Chardonnay $60 BevMo- $38.99 plus tax

Veuve Cliuot Brut $94 BevMo-$45.99

They also have Dom Perignon and Cristal but did not look these brands up on BevMo.

Their mark up is not great and there is no tax added. If you are packing light light you might consider packing your champagne in your suit case.

Duty free in LAX might be another option to avoid weight issues.

I am amazed at cost of excellent French champagne in the US. I am talking sale prices. We have picked up Moet for example very reasonably.

On the ship Cristal is 380 and Dom 295.

There are a few places to eat close to the Hilton. Across the street there's a French place with outdoor seating that's very reasonable and extremely good. The lady that runs it is French cooks with a French player and you have free wi-Fi. She can also make a to go lunch basket for you. If you go to the right when you're leaving go down a quarter of a mile on the left-hand side there is a small but very good Chinese restaurant. It does not open until 6:30 PM and if you blink you'll miss it this is a local place that the locals love very good very inexpensive by French Polynesia standards. If you go to your left when you leave go down about 2 to 300 yards and there's a little hamburger pizza place. Have never eaten there but the prices are cheap. One of the best deals at the Hilton is that the crepes bar out on the overwater walkway. We often split a main course crepes and a dessert crepes, with drinks figure about $40 US.

One more thing, we often bring a couple of bottles of wine with us from the US. We always take them in our carry-on so they're nice and safe. No problems bringing in a couple of bottles. Though you can bring it in for yourself our objective is to take a couple of the bottles of wine for certain crew members that we just absolutely adore, some alcohol that is hard to get in French Polynesia or a good bottle of Paso Robles wine.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

One more thing, we often bring a couple of bottles of wine with us from the US. We always take them in our carry-on so they're nice and safe. No problems bringing in a couple of bottles. Though you can bring it in for yourself our objective is to take a couple of the bottles of wine for certain crew members that we just absolutely adore, some alcohol that is hard to get in French Polynesia or a good bottle of Paso Robles wine.

Won't it be confiscated if it's in your carry on?

I think the local flights don't mind it but I don't think you can carry it in your carry on on air france, unless its duty free stuff.