Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

We are booked for a 16 day Encore cruise in the spring of 2017. Does anyone know if they still have "formal" nights on board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would they not have formal optional nights? That is the code for the other ships.

Julie

This should be merged with the existing dress code thread. Just because we are getting a bigger ship doesn't mean this forum needs to become a cluttered mess where one must not only search by topic but also by ship to find the most current information.

(Ack! I've become *that* poster after years of rallying against over-curation of forums on sites like FlyerTalk. Does that mean my official curmudgeon credentials will arrive by post shortly?!)

That's right. No more verandah and Observation Bar smoking. Woo hoo!

We are now in the absolutely huge, new, marble terminal at the Port of Dubai as we have disembarked Sojourn. Embarking passengers will be very impressed. We join Encore in 15 days from here and look forward to seeing all the Sojourn crew on 7 January when Encore and Sojourn are celebrating the inaugural cruise of Encore in Singapore.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ps- About the thread's subject, we enjoyed dressing formally for the 5 designated nights during our 32 day cruise. Maybe half the passengers did likewise.

• 3 weeks later...

I get confused by what formal means. To me it means black tie for men. However I have seen formal defined as a jacket and open-neck shirt, which to me is semi-casual. From a Seabourn cruise perspective what is the norm please.

Anything from dinner jacket (tux) to suit to jacket with collared shirt is acceptable.

Very few real formal clothes worn by men, except perhaps on Christmas/New Year cruises. Quite a few men bring a suit. My DH now wears a sports jacket, dark trousers and shirt with tie, but tie is not obligatory. So, not very formal.

I always say take your cue re: the dress code from the brochures. Ten to fifteen years ago you'd find lots of photos of models in tuxedoes and long gowns. Try and find a tuxedo in the current brochures. Doesn't exist and neither does the old definition of formal. Bring a blazer or suit and you'll be fine.

As for us, the black tie is the first to find its way into the suitcase when going on a seabourn cruise. We usually see 50 % of the men dressed up on formal nights. And we admit enjoying dressing up so we take every occasion possible to get the tuxedo out of the closet.

• 4 weeks later...
As for us, the black tie is the first to find its way into the suitcase when going on a seabourn cruise. We usually see 50 % of the men dressed up on formal nights. And we admit enjoying dressing up so we take every occasion possible to get the tuxedo out of the closet.

I totally agree ajpeter, I just wish there were more people that made some effort. I am not fond of formal nights "optional" and the anything goes attitude, that cruise lines and guests are talking these days.

Oh my! Sounds like we need to stay in our room on formal nights.

We don't own formal gear and won't be buying any to schlep along with us.

Yes we can dine at other venues in more casual dress but if we're going to be looked at with disdain, we'll opt for room service.

Thanks for the warning about formal nights.

I wear formal wear up to and including a waistcoat and pocket watch but have never looked down on anyone not similarly atired.

A jacket and tie is perfectly acceptable as is the more flamboyant attire adorning Seabourn's fashionistas. The one thing you learn through travel is that we are all different.

You can share a table with us wearing what ever makes you feel comfortable.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Yes we can dine at other venues in more casual dress but if we're going to be looked at with disdain, we'll opt for room service.

Thanks for the warning about formal nights.

You most certainly do NOT need to stay in your suite on formal optional night. A blazer and tie are sufficient and you can basically even skip the tie should you wish. The nice thing is those who wish you wear tuxes and gowns can and those who prefer not to can abstain.

Vaitape,

As another Oceania regular, I am with you on that. The country club casual dress code on Oceania is one of the things we love most about that cruise line (plus the food).

I will, however, bring a suit and tie and play it by ear once on the ship.

We've "survived" several Silversea cruises and this sounds much less formal.

We have a short Cunard RT from Sydney before our Encore, so the suit is a must in any case.

Looking forward to the cruise on the Encore.

DH no longer owns a sport coat....a tie he does have. And my formal gear is ....well, non-existent. Think we'll keep our usual low profile on formal nights.

Able Seaman H: Thank you for welcoming us to your table but we don't think you're on our cruise, regrettably.

Wripro and Paulchili: will compare notes after our first Seabourn cruise. We're very much looking forward to it, especially since the smoking policy has been revised.

O.K. We have never been on Seabourn before and were wondering if it would be appropriate for us. I have been perusing the topics as a start. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

If I had any hair, this topic would have me pulling it out. We were curious about Encore’s “formal nights.” I have quite a nice tuxedo, however, I am pretty certain I don’t want to haul it to Europe nor would I want to wear it on a warm Caribbean night. It seems most, if not all, of the black-tie events that we attend are corporate related. This is especially true for my wife. Picking the proper eveningwear for a woman executive is not easy. We guys just have to make sure our tux is pressed. My wife, who has been expected to wear the perfect designer suit and the appropriate jewelry every day for the past decade doesn’t really want to have to do that while on vacation. She doesn’t want to feel like she is attending a board meeting while on vacation – wearing the correct wardrobe and a fake smile for days at a time. She said she was going to wear sweats for 2 years straight after she retires. ;-)

Regarding Encore, in order to make others comfortable, if I wanted to skip the tux, should we plan for a night away from the main dining room? 50 percent of guests wearing tuxedos is quite a high number. Would it be a nice night for a romantic dinner in our stateroom?

Also, how many formal nights are there on a 14 day cruise?

I kind of agree with davidle. When I grew up: Formal = tuxedo; Semi-formal = suit; Business/Resort Casual = Sports coat, slacks and no tie; Casual = slacks and dress shirt with no coat or perhaps designer jeans with a sport coat. So, when you say “formal”, what does that mean for Encore? Tie or no tie?

I had some other questions but will leave them for another thread. Thanks again for your time.

Please don't shut yourselves away in your suite on a formal optional evening.

Just put on a jacket and an open neck shirt and your wife can wear a cocktail dress or a trouser suit.

I find that I want a suite night once a week and usually after I have looked at a MDR menu and thought that it was nothing special.

A night in the suite is lovely and relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife, who has been expected to wear the perfect designer suit and the appropriate jewelry every day for the past decade doesn’t really want to have to do that while on vacation. She doesn’t want to feel like she is attending a board meeting while on vacation – wearing the correct wardrobe and a fake smile for days at a time. She said she was going to wear sweats for 2 years straight after she retires. ;-)

A black silk skirt or pants. Some silk or other fancy tops. A pair of dressy sandals or shoes. A little bling (real or not so real). That is all your wife would need. All easy to pack.

No fake smiles allowed on board.

Edited by marazul