Question for Aussies on tipping while there

In a taxi, if you have luggage, it is reasonable to 'round up' the fare. For a $52 fare we would give the driver $55 and ask him to keep the change. In a high-class restaurant it is reasonable to tip, but otherwise not.

Waitstaff in Australia/NZ are paid a good hourly rate and do not have to rely on tips to survive.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We mostly tip our taxi drivers a round up tip when we're travelling to and from cruise terminals. Mainly because of our luggage is usually heavy to very heavy and their help is very much appreciated.

Not so much the airport taxis as they're usually very whingey (small fares, not liked). Once had one try to drive us 200kms (at a price) rather than drop us at the station.

On the other side, a young gent helped us with our luggage at the OPT and we discreetly offered a tip because he was very helpful, the tip was quickly rebuffed as being not necessary.

If you feel you are getting above and beyond normal service and want to tip for your appreciation - why not tip a little?

Edited by megsie

If you feel you are getting above and beyond normal service and want to tip for your appreciation - why not tip a little?

Because the person is not your servant, just someone who is doing his/her job well. A genuine smile and a warm thank you is all that is required for a job well done here in Australia.

However, I well understand the US tipping culture and how people over tip there because people in the service industry are underpaid, so I tip accordingly in the US.

what is the difference between a Canadian and a canoe

a canoe might tip

ok we tip in Canada for restaurants etc..but not to the level that they do in the US.

my worst tipping experience was in Thailand...met at the airport by an older guy who took us to our tour company vehicle...was not sure of protocol so slipped him a few bucks...turns out he was the owner of the company

so great you are checking what protocol is

I never once insinuated that the people we tip are our servants - that is a bit crass on your behalf.

It is simply a gesture of goodwill in appreciation for excellent service - no more or less than giving the postman or garbo so a couple of beers/ drinks in the heat or at Xmas or a box of chocolates for the kids teachers.

C'mon, be fair.

We will be staying for a vacation in Australia after our cruise to Fiji. I gave read that you do not usually tip, is this correct? Say for waiters or cabbies? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Basically correct, round the bill up is pretty standard, tipping nothing is totally acceptable, never known many to say no.

I never once insinuated that the people we tip are our servants - that is a bit crass on your behalf.

It is simply a gesture of goodwill in appreciation for excellent service - no more or less than giving the postman or garbo so a couple of beers/ drinks in the heat or at Xmas or a box of chocolates for the kids teachers.

C'mon, be fair.

Sorry, I didn't think you did.

That was just a poor example of how I feel about tipping in Australia versus tipping in the US.

And yes we used to give the garbo beer at Christmas, presents to teachers, etc. in appreciation of a job well done, under difficult circumstances. However, we didn't think of it as a tip.

Because the person is not your servant, just someone who is doing his/her job well. A genuine smile and a warm thank you is all that is required for a job well done here in Australia.

However, I well understand the US tipping culture and how people over tip there because people in the service industry are underpaid, so I tip accordingly in the US.

I thought you expressed it well. :)

Because tipping is rather like cane toads, completely unnecessary and impossible to get rid of once introduced.

If someone did something a little above and beyond, I would prefer to believe that they did it because they take pride in their work, rather than that they were expecting a bribe.

Of course in the US, where service people are not even paid starvation wages, it's a different matter.

American tourists may come under pressure to tip. This because Americans often do so by reflex and so it becomes an expectation. An unwelcome one.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Because tipping is rather like cane toads, completely unnecessary and impossible to get rid of once introduced.

If someone did something a little above and beyond, I would prefer to believe that they did it because they take pride in their work, rather than that they were expecting a bribe.

Of course in the US, where service people are not even paid starvation wages, it's a different matter.

American tourists may come under pressure to tip. This because Americans often do so by reflex and so it becomes an expectation. An unwelcome one.

Also expressed well. :)

In a taxi, if you have luggage, it is reasonable to 'round up' the fare. For a $52 fare we would give the driver $55 and ask him to keep the change. In a high-class restaurant it is reasonable to tip, but otherwise not.

Waitstaff in Australia/NZ are paid a good hourly rate and do not have to rely on tips to survive.

Agree, while tipping is not required the rounding up of the bill is often done.:D

I would only ever round up a cab fare if i didnt have correct change and it was an above excellent service. The only time we have ever left tips at restaurants has been when they have gone out of their way to manage a large group, adding chairs, suggesting off menu items they could do as starters that might be more appealing to the group, giving "on the house" extra chips or whatever. But only when it is clear we have been a bit of a hassle/nuisance to manage and the restaurant has been super gracious and welcoming of us.

Oh we also tipped them once when 2 of our party arrived drunk and were loud and obnoxious. They could have easily kicked them out (and we were secretly hoping they would) but they very nice and accommodating and handled them well. We left a nice tip then.

Otherwise never ever tip!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Nope, no tipping. I've never tipped in my life in Australia. Please don't encourage it.:)

...Actually I've said 'keep the change' on some occasions if they are about to hand over small coins.

Not even to the tour guides? It will feel weird not doling out cash as we go along. ;)