Halifax excursions July QM2 trip

carolina-cruiser

For those who have been on the NY-Halifax trip in July, I have a few questions. Is it necessary to book an excursion, or can one walk from the QM2's berth to shops, etc. in Halifax? What is the weather generally like in July in Halifax? Any other info/tips on the Halifax leg of this trip is also appreciated.

A pleasant walk along the harbor front will take you to downtown Halifax and to most of the city's sights. The city is built on a hill, so it's a bit of a climb to the Citadel and the Public Gardens. As for the weather, the average temperature in July is a very comfortable 65 Fahrenheit (18 Celsius). But we've been there when it was quite a bit warmer.

Hello there, I live in Halifax. Yes you can walk to shops but it will take you 10-15 minutes. The Halifax waterfront is beautiful in July with shops, bars and restaurants! Spring Garden Road area is also full of shops and restaurants and within walking distance. the weather in July can be hit or miss. OUr summers can either be really nice or sometimes rainy, either way though it should be warm.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

May I add to what Hockey-Mom has already said. Within walking distance from the ship, along the harbor front, is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is very well done. Pier 21 Immigration Museum is right next to the ship's dock, it's focus is, obviously, Canadian immigration. There is also the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market right at the Seaport, with lots of vendors. http://www.halifaxfarmersmarket.com/about/

If the weather is good, the walk along the harbor is very nice and there is a nice selection of restaurants and shops.

Halifax is a great, very walkable city. Enjoy!

Ricki

Hi, in summer 2015 I visited Halifax on QM2 and I can confirm that you can easily walk from the boat into the city/town. If you have a problem with hills then maybe get a taxi but like HockeyMom415 it is no more than 10/15 minutes and the walk along the front is nice as well.

If you take a tour, it will probably be to some out-of-town tourist trap. By the time you finish, you'll have burned up the day and will leave without ever actually seeing Halifax.

There are a lot of events going on in Halifax. What date are you there?

In Halifax we rented a car to drive four people to Peggy's Cove for the cost of one excursion ticket. The rental location (it Hertz or Avis, I forget which) was a short cab ride from the pier. Sure we missed the engaging commentary from a tour bus guide but we also arrived and returned on our schedule.

For those of you who have been on this short cruise I have a few questions. Can one walk from the QM2's berth to shops, etc. in Halifax? Is it worth it to pay for an excursion either by Cunard or someone else? What is the weather generally like in July in Halifax? Any other info/tips is also appreciated.

You can always use the Big Sightseeing buses. Depends what you wish to see or how you wish to spend your time in Halifax, Easy walk to shops etc if open. The Harbour Walk is a great walk anyway. Or hire a Segway

IMG_1503.jpg.f80f7b7cb318550bc17df8738c573e7d.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg.204058fa80e7729656020fff5fd68e95.jpg

We did the crossing on Queen Mary 2 in August 2015 on a sunny day. We did the Halifax Titanic Historical tour with Paul McNeil. A great tour of the city. Yes, there are shops and restaurants along the board walk and nice area to walk along the area where the ship is docked.

If the weather is warm and sunny it is wonderful to walk along the boardwalk in Halifax. Yes, there are shops and the Titanic museum. If you have never been there, I highly recommend the museum. However, the last two voyages we stopped in Halifax the weather was dreadful. Unless dressed for heavy rain with boots and an umbrella, which we were not, you had to be prepared to be drenched. Enjoy the trip no matter the weather.

S,

A pleasant walk along the harbor front will take you to downtown Halifax and to most of the city's sights. The city is built on a hill, so it's a bit of a climb to the Citadel and the Public Gardens. As for the weather, the average temperature in July is a very comfortable 65 Fahrenheit (18 Celsius). But we've been there when it was quite a bit warmer.

Maybe not the definitive answer but this link may well generate some ideas,..

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

Maybe not the definitive answer but this link may well generate some ideas,..

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

Richard,

Very nicely done indeed! Your blog brought back many happy memories. I would only add a recommendation for the Public Gardens and the provincial art gallery.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Thank you for all of your helpful information. Just what we needed to know. We love to walk so that is a plus. We look forward to visiting this lovely place.

Good to hear. The walk to the Titanic cemetery is a good one and takes in many interesting sites...

19752938069_cdc5f62a72_z.jpg

...and of course the old architecture you pass on the way is interesting, to say the least...

p><p>And keeping on

21038397841_1c409c5a15_z.jpg

I don't like to disagree with a Haligonian - or anyone else - but I doubt many people can walk from Pier 22 to the centre of Halifax in 10 to 15 minutes. I am a fast walker and it takes me longer than that, even from the Westin Nova Scotian hotel next to the railway station which is a bit closer than the pier. There is one restaurant on the boardwalk which is close to the piers.

There is a car hire office in the railway station across the street from the piers and also in the adjacent hotel. Although I visit Halifax once or twice a year I can't recall the names of the companies.

If you are a senior and in port on a Tuesday there is free public transit, including the ferries, outside of rush hours. (I know the cruise mentioned does not call on a Tuesday, but if anyone is on the QM2 crossing which calls on 13 June you might find this of interest).

Sadly, Cunard has little interest in Halifax next year. For the past few years there have been four calls of the QM2 - two on cruises and two on Atlantic crossings. In 2018 there is just one call.

Thanks to everyone for all of this great info. We will be on the QM2 crossing that stops in Halifax June 13, so all of this will be handy. Our only other time in Halifax was to fly into the airport and hop into a rental car headed north. So this will be a fun treat and diversion.

Assuming you're in port July 3, the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo will be taking place.The tattoo combines military bands from around the world with other performers in a spectacular show at the Metro Centre. Here's an idea of what it is:

There is a matinee on the third.

Whether or not you want to attend the show, there are free performances in various locations around town at noon daily. Check their website for details. www.nstattoo.ca

Thanks to everyone for all of this great info. We will be on the QM2 crossing that stops in Halifax June 13, so all of this will be handy. Our only other time in Halifax was to fly into the airport and hop into a rental car headed north. So this will be a fun treat and diversion.

Here's another link to a visit I did earlier than the 175th Anniversary crossing...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

We struck lucky with a particular taxi driver and had an outstanding 'Private' tour which included Peggy's Cove...

9740175604_2e01c870cb_z.jpg

Looking for something else to do while downtown ? There is a ferry terminal just beyond the Mariner Museum area .

We took a enjoyable round trip across the harbor . Not expensive at all .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you referring to the Ferry to Dartmouth? If so, it is a great idea if the weather is nice. There is seating outside on the upper deck, and you get a nice view of Halifax's huge harbor.

Ricki

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Ca. is one of tyhe nicest ice free ports ion the world. We usually rent a vehicle and plane where we are going .

If a walkable is wanted a woderful park and dog friendly is near the pier too .

Off the ship , turn left a brief walk is all and a wonderful location it is..

• 1 month later...

Dear Carolina-Cruiser

Just saw you thread on the tours related to Halfiax on the July 4th QM2 Independence Weekend cruise.

Would like to welcome you the Roll Call on the below link related to that cruise. Some of the others boarding and sailing on the same trip are signing in to open to discussions about the cruise, tours and any questions or comments...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2404891

We will be in Halifax.on 10th August and as there are 6 of us (16 to 77) and my mum has limited mobility we are going to hire a minivan and self deive. My mum's friend visits NC each year to visit relatives so she is giving us some tips. We've also looked at where the ship tours go. Any idea how long the ship is there for?

Assuming you're in port July 3, the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo will be taking place.The tattoo combines military bands from around the world with other performers in a spectacular show at the Metro Centre. Here's an idea of what it is:
There is a matinee on the third.

Whether or not you want to attend the show, there are free performances in various locations around town at noon daily. Check their website for details. www.nstattoo.ca

This is a great info!!!

We visited Halifax three times with Carnival, HAL and RCCL ... and while this will be our first cruise with Cunard (excited!) we are running of things to do. Halifax is almost like a home to us now and we visited Peggy's Cove and coast, Titanic cemetery.

This will be something new and interesting!