Do you book with a TA or with the cruiseline?

Jacqueline

i was wondering if there is any advantage of one over the other. I spoke to the PG booking agent on the phone and didn't find her very helpful. By contrast, I found that the agent I used recently at Silversea was able to do so much for me, including a post cruise night, an upgrade and his influence in procuring good flight times.

I don't see any advantage to booking direct. Whatever offers including on board credit (OBC) the cruise line is offering should be offered by the agent as well. We have found that many travel agents will include additional perks, which it appears you have found. We commonly receive anything the cruise line is offering plus about $900 in a rebate (for a lower end cabin) when we book privately.

Flightmedic555 gave you a good take.

The plus side to booking direct is knowing if there is a problem while in FP PG is right there to help, sometimes a TA is no where to be found.

On the flight thing ..... very limited flights to Tahiti in general, not like you have a ton of choices to pick from.

Take today .....

One flight from LAX to PPT on ATN 10:20 pm

One flight today from LAX to PPT on AF 11:25 pm

If this is your first trip I recommend booking direct. I've gone to FP 18 times, and even now there are times I wished I had just booked direct and not worry about anything.

Specials are usually available booking direct or with a TA, the TA at times is merely passing along the special offering from PG. However, there are some TA's who discount and give money in OBC. I personally never booked with a TA who does that, not making a judgement, this is a 'me' thing. If I had a brain tumor I could care less about a cheaper doctor, I just want to have the best available. Same is true of a TA ..... nice to save some money but equally important is their skill level. Have they been to FP several times and when was the last time. To me recent experience is more important than saving a few bucks. There are some good TA's who work on less of a margin, you just need to feel confident that they know what they are doing and that they truly know FP.

I to am debating whether to book directly with the cruise line. Tahitianbigkahuna, thank you so much for your insight. I really enjoy reading all of your posts. Such continuous and accurate advice. Again thanks so much

Glad to help. I've used TA before but found one who frequents FP. But to be honest and I'm talking for my self ... the times I've been most at ease are when everything was handled with PG directly, just felt if there were any issues I would feel better knowing there were local PG representatives right at my finger tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I see your points. So far, I am not seeing the added value. I am looking at the best cabins, for example and not being offered them as an incentive to book early by the TA.

It looks like July 18, 2018. Just settled on this this morning, this included the Tuamotus. Since I am a water bug and want more than a week, it seems like the best fit. I have done the sailing to Cooks Islands previous, on another cruiseline

I do not seem to be able to see what cabins are available myself, at this time.

Yes, I see your points. So far, I am not seeing the added value. I am looking at the best cabins, for example and not being offered them as an incentive to book early by the TA.

It looks like July 18, 2018. Just settled on this this morning, this included the Tuamotus. Since I am a water bug and want more than a week, it seems like the best fit. I have done the sailing to Cooks Islands previous, on another cruiseline

I do not seem to be able to see what cabins are available myself, at this time.

Good choice seeing you've already seen the Cooks. The Atolls are wonderful. We always love something new on a cruise as well as the familiar. This cruise does exactly that for you. Call PG, they will tell you which cabins are available.

We booked a 2018 PG revisit thru the same travel we used before for our first Paul Gauguin cruise. We saved substantially more by using the TA vs what PG would offer us directly. Plus we got TRIPLE what PG would offer us on on board credit.

The only thing we have found our TA could not help us with was the chartered Flower Power cruise we are taking next year also. So we had no choice but use the assigned reservation process.