British Airways

dickinson

I booked my flights through Princess EZ Air. My return flights are from Rome to London Heathrow via British Airways and then American Airways being operated as British Airways to Baltimore. I did this many months ago. I was able to pick my seats for all flights except the last one which is the code share of American Airlines with British Airways. Not sure why I was able to pick seats and not pay extra (not complaining!) for the British Airways flight but unfortunately I can't seem to pick seats on the AA one which is actually on British Airways.

Seems it is rather expensive to purchase seat assignments in advance on BA but free if you do it within 24 hours of flying. Because we will be touring Rome at T-24 hours I won't be able to log in right then but will be able to many hours later when back at the hotel. If you have flown BA before what is your experience on getting two seats together with one being an aisle if you do the seat assignment a few hours after the 24 hour mark?

Not sure why I was able to pick seats and not pay extra (not complaining!) for the British Airways flight but unfortunately I can't seem to pick seats on the AA one which is actually on British Airways.
Are you able to pull up the reservation on the BA website? If so, for each flight in your itinerary, click the link that says "More flight information". A pop-up should appear with a table, the last or penultimate line of which says "Selling class". What is the selling class for each of your flights?

In addition, does the BA website give you the AA flight number for the London-Baltimore flight? If so, do you have a separate booking reference (all letters) that allows you to see that flight on the AA website? If so, does the AA website give you a further booking reference for that flight? If so, what happens when you take that booking reference to the BA website to call up that booking?

If you don't yet have a separate booking reference giving you access to that last flight on the AA website, then go to www.checkmytrip.com, click Login, and then on the next page put in the booking reference that works on the BA website. In the flight details for that flight, you may find the booking reference you need to get into the AA website.

BA have an app which you can use to check-in online. Can be done very quickly if you're out and about.

It will cost me $10 to use my phone for 24 hours while out of the country. I planned to do so only for emergencies. This may be an emergency ;)

Are you able to pull up the reservation on the BA website? If so, for each flight in your itinerary, click the link that says "More flight information". A pop-up should appear with a table, the last or penultimate line of which says "Selling class". What is the selling class for each of your flights?

In addition, does the BA website give you the AA flight number for the London-Baltimore flight? If so, do you have a separate booking reference (all letters) that allows you to see that flight on the AA website? If so, does the AA website give you a further booking reference for that flight? If so, what happens when you take that booking reference to the BA website to call up that booking?

If you don't yet have a separate booking reference giving you access to that last flight on the AA website, then go to www.checkmytrip.com, click Login, and then on the next page put in the booking reference that works on the BA website. In the flight details for that flight, you may find the booking reference you need to get into the AA website.

I don't have my info with me at the moment but I was able to put things into the AA website however it automatically transferred me to BA website. If I tried to pick it seats it said I could not do it and would have to call. I called them, AA and Princess (got wrong info from BA at first because they said I was not ticketed but I was). Ultimately BA (on the second call) told me I have to pay if I want to pick my seats.

I have a feeling that Princess allowed seat picking on the BA flight for no charge but not on my seat that was on flight that was AA operated by BA (a code share flight).

Later today I can try some of the things you suggested and see what happens. Can't hurt!

Has anyone else been able to pick seats on BA with no charge? Is that a perk with Princess or was it just a fluke?

Your posts are very confusing. If your flight is on BA metal (they are the operating carrier), it's not an "AA flight."

Unless you have a certain level of status, you have to pay to choose seats on a BA flight.

I have always been able to get the seats I want for free at the 24 hour mark. Having said that LHR is often a connection airport with flights from India etc and the 24 hours check in on their original flight may be earlier than yours.

My guess is that you have a separate locator code for the "AA" flight. If you phone BA they should be able to provide it for you. I would also ask them to confirm your seat requests.... or at least look at them on the BA website.

Do you have any special status with AA or BA that would allow for "free" seating request? We are flying Business class using AA points ELP-DFW-LHR. On the AA ELP-DFW flights there was no fee for seat requests; on the BA DFW-LHR flight we paid for seat selection.

My guess is that you have a separate locator code for the "AA" flight. If you phone BA they should be able to provide it for you. I would also ask them to confirm your seat requests.... or at least look at them on the BA website.

Do you have any special status with AA or BA that would allow for "free" seating request? We are flying Business class using AA points ELP-DFW-LHR. On the AA ELP-DFW flights there was no fee for seat requests; on the BA DFW-LHR flight we paid for seat selection.

I do have a separate locator code for that second flight. Customer Service at BA could see the seats I picked out for the flight from Rome to LHR so they are there. The issue is the second flight from LHR to BWI where I am unable to pick seats. I have no special status with the airline. Never have flown them before and probably will not again if I can help it. I don't like this seat thing.

Because I have a change of planes in London and have different confirmation numbers (I assume that is what a locator code it) I assume when I check in online it is within 24 hours of the SECOND flight or is it the first?

If it is all one ticket, check in is within 24 hours of the first flight. It is normal to have different locator numbers/confirmation numbers for the different airlines within your itinerary. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to check in for the flights separately, although sometimes you might.

I do have a separate locator code for that second flight.
I think you probably have at least one more locator, which is what I've been trying to get you to look for.

You're booked on something like this:

FCO-LHR BA553

LHR-BWI AA6174 operated by BA229

From what you say, there is a prime PNR (booking record) that you can see on the BA website and which shows the flights as BA553 (or whatever) and AA6174.

There is another locator which works on the AA website and pulls up a booking that shows AA6174, possibly with BA553 (or whatever) as an information segment ahead of it.

There will be a third locator which work on the BA website and pull up a booking that shows BA229, possibly with BA553 (or whatever) as an information segment ahead of it. This is a separate booking record from the first one. And this one may have some further clues as to whether or not you may be able to get your seats pre-allocated for free, as you have done on BA553 (or whichever FCO-LHR flight you are booked on).

There are several possibilities as to why you have been able to get free pre-allocation on the FCO-LHR flight. All we seem to have managed to do is to exclude the possibility that it's to do with your frequent flyer membership tier. If we knew the booking classes into which each flight is booked, that might provide more clues.

In addition, you don't say anything explicitly about what's happened with your flights going over. Your posts give the impression that there is an outbound half to this ticket, that all the flights on the outbound half are BA flights, and that you have got free seat pre-allocation for them (so that the LHR-BWI flight is the only problem flight). But, again, at the moment we can only guess because you have given so little information about what you have booked and what is happening with the various bits of your travel.

And so long as we can only guess, it's difficult to give any advice as to whether your problem can be solved more efficiently than waiting for OLCI to open.

I think you probably have at least one more locator, which is what I've been trying to get you to look for.

You're booked on something like this:

FCO-LHR BA553

LHR-BWI AA6174 operated by BA229

From what you say, there is a prime PNR (booking record) that you can see on the BA website and which shows the flights as BA553 (or whatever) and AA6174.

There is another locator which works on the AA website and pulls up a booking that shows AA6174, possibly with BA553 (or whatever) as an information segment ahead of it.

There will be a third locator which work on the BA website and pull up a booking that shows BA229, possibly with BA553 (or whatever) as an information segment ahead of it. This is a separate booking record from the first one. And this one may have some further clues as to whether or not you may be able to get your seats pre-allocated for free, as you have done on BA553 (or whichever FCO-LHR flight you are booked on).

There are several possibilities as to why you have been able to get free pre-allocation on the FCO-LHR flight. All we seem to have managed to do is to exclude the possibility that it's to do with your frequent flyer membership tier. If we knew the booking classes into which each flight is booked, that might provide more clues.

In addition, you don't say anything explicitly about what's happened with your flights going over. Your posts give the impression that there is an outbound half to this ticket, that all the flights on the outbound half are BA flights, and that you have got free seat pre-allocation for them (so that the LHR-BWI flight is the only problem flight). But, again, at the moment we can only guess because you have given so little information about what you have booked and what is happening with the various bits of your travel.

And so long as we can only guess, it's difficult to give any advice as to whether your problem can be solved more efficiently than waiting for OLCI to open.

If you look at my signature you will see that next month I am going on a TA so I am flying to FLL (Delta) and cruising to Europe. My issue is on my flights home only. You have the right BA and AA flight numbers. I do have record locator numbers for both flights plus the AA number for the BA flight (along with the BA number). I will not post those numbers on the internet. We do have economy class tickets. Today when I went to AA website to pick seats and input their number it transfers me to BA. It shows the flight from FCO-LHR (and for seats says to call them although the other day when I called they said they saw the seats I picked). For the flight from LHR to BWI it now shows that I can pick seats for a fee. I clicked and saw how much each seat cost.

What are some of the possibilities as to why I was able to pick seats on the FCO-LHR flight? Even though the rep at BA said they could see what I picked why is it not showing up on the BA website?

Edited by dickinson

I fly BA all the time and never had a trouble getting the seats I want. The only time it has been bother is when I have forgotten to book seats and booked seats at the airport. But even so we haven't been separated that far. We also really don't care if we are sat next to each other or not. As we are sleeping or watching movies, reading, etc.

At a guess I would say pairs is the most common travelling companions. So as the four seats in the middle of the aisle it would probably be most likely to get seats there.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I am flying BA from London to PHL booked thru Princess and had no trouble picking my seat 2 months out for free. And that was long before the flight was paid.

Princess keeps telling me it is not a guarantee you will get those seats (I too have seats on one flight).

Princess keeps telling me it is not a guarantee you will get those seats (I too have seats on one flight).

If you read most airlines info they phrase seat selection as "seating request", or similar phrase , and that the airline has the right to change them.

If you look at my signature you will see that next month I am going on a TA so I am flying to FLL (Delta) and cruising to Europe. My issue is on my flights home only. You have the right BA and AA flight numbers. I do have record locator numbers for both flights plus the AA number for the BA flight (along with the BA number). I will not post those numbers on the internet.
You're absolutely right not to post the actual information. But I am still confused by what locators you have for which airlines. And I would still be interested in whether you have now found three different booking references, because I still think that there may be three for your situation, and if so the three references may pull up booking records that may show different flight numbers and/or combinations of flight numbers.

I don't see signatures, so I had no idea what your cruise was, nor that your first flight has nothing to do with the flights at the end of the cruise.

But in that event, it is possible that the AA booking record that you can see through the AA website is the prime booking record. That will have BA553 --> AA6174 - is that right?

When you click through to the BA website, what flight numbers do you see? Is it BA553 --> AA6174 or is it BA553 --> BA229? Is it this booking record that does not record the seats which you say you have already picked?

if it is the latter, do you also have a different locator that works on the BA website and pulls up a booking that has BA553 --> AA6174?

What are some of the possibilities as to why I was able to pick seats on the FCO-LHR flight? Even though the rep at BA said they could see what I picked why is it not showing up on the BA website?
Some of the theoretical possibilities (assuming that any frequent flyer number that you have put into the booking does not have higher-tier status):-

1. Princess' contract with BA involves booking the short-haul into Y class (the highest economy booking class), which comes with free seat pre-allocation.
  2. Princess' contract with AA involves booking a fare that requires the short-haul to be booked into Y class.
  3. Princess has chosen to book you a fare for which the short-haul is booked into Y class.
  4. The contract fare includes free seat pre-allocation.
  5. The contract fare includes free seat pre-allocation on the short-haul flight only.
  6. Princess' agency or route deal includes free seat pre-allocation.
  7. Princess' agency or route deal includes free seat pre-allocation on the short-haul flight only.
  8. Princess has tried to pre-allocate you seats on the short-haul and thinks that it has, but they are only request notes and not proper pre-allocation.
  9. Princess has pre-allocated you seats and they show in one of the booking records, but a different one from the record that you have been able to access.

If you can't see any booking record that shows those pre-allocated seats, then I'd be inclined to go to www.expertflyer.com and check whether the seats you think you have are showing "occupied" as they ought to.

Globaliser is asking for the selling class designated for your flight.

On the BA website pull up your flight info. There will be an individual table with basic information for each leg of the journey. One of mine looks like this:

Flight

Depart

Arrive

0 stops, 01 hrs 42 mins, Business, Information only

This flight is operated by American Airlines

More flight information

Click “More flight information” for each leg of the journey.

One of mine looks like this:

Flight: Operated by: British Airways

Departing from:

Arriving at:

Number of stops: 0

Flying duration:

Aircraft type: Boeing 747 jet

Selling class: U

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 13.0px}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}

The selling class and who is operating the flight, for each leg of the journey, may help Globaliser answer your questions.

The selling class for both those flights is "S". I did a free 5 day trial to expert flyer.com. It shows that the seats I picked are unavailable (or whatever the term they used). When I go to the BA website it will only allow me to pay for seats for the LHR-BWI flight . The flight I "picked" seats for says: online seat selection unavailable but I can call to change seats.

That is the flight that expert flyer shows as unavailable so either me or someone else has picked them. It also shows both flights as British Airways.

The booking numbers I used were BA. On the BA site there is no mention of AA.

When I do the online check in do I have to check in for each or will the earlier flight do it for both?

When I do the online check in do I have to check in for each or will the earlier flight do it for both?
The ability to pick seats for that first flight is clearly not to do with the booking class, then. So between what you and go sea have said, I suspect that Princess has some kind of deal with BA that allows pre-allocation on BA flights that Princess has booked. What may have happened here is that because Princess technically did not book a BA flight but an AA "flight", that deal has not carried across to your LHR-BWI sector even though the AA "flight" that you're booked on is actually operated by BA. If Princess had booked the BA codes on both sectors, you might be in a better position. I suspect that this may be one of the oddities that comes with using cruise line air, over which you sometimes have less than full control. But at least you have free pre-allocation on one flight.

Given that the BA website's booking record has BA flight numbers for both flights, my guess is that checking-in 24 hours before the departure of the first flight will allow you to check-in for both flights at the same time, as this is the operating booking record which BA will primarily be working off and the chances are that it will be coded as a connection.

I have noticed one thing, though: the flight is on a 787-8. If you are sitting in economy, then do have a careful think about where you would ideally like to sit. If you have a chance to upgrade to World Traveller Plus (premium economy), this may well be worth it. Even if you don't, if you have a chance to pre-allocate seats that are less uncomfortable, it may be worth the money. On BA's long-haul economy aircraft, at the present time the 787-8 cabin is the least comfortable in economy; some people struggle on this aircraft even though they find other BA long-haul economy seats acceptable.

The ability to pick seats for that first flight is clearly not to do with the booking class, then. So between what you and go sea have said, I suspect that Princess has some kind of deal with BA that allows pre-allocation on BA flights that Princess has booked. What may have happened here is that because Princess technically did not book a BA flight but an AA "flight", that deal has not carried across to your LHR-BWI sector even though the AA "flight" that you're booked on is actually operated by BA. If Princess had booked the BA codes on both sectors, you might be in a better position. I suspect that this may be one of the oddities that comes with using cruise line air, over which you sometimes have less than full control. But at least you have free pre-allocation on one flight.

Given that the BA website's booking record has BA flight numbers for both flights, my guess is that checking-in 24 hours before the departure of the first flight will allow you to check-in for both flights at the same time, as this is the operating booking record which BA will primarily be working off and the chances are that it will be coded as a connection.

I have noticed one thing, though: the flight is on a 787-8. If you are sitting in economy, then do have a careful think about where you would ideally like to sit. If you have a chance to upgrade to World Traveller Plus (premium economy), this may well be worth it. Even if you don't, if you have a chance to pre-allocate seats that are less uncomfortable, it may be worth the money. On BA's long-haul economy aircraft, at the present time the 787-8 cabin is the least comfortable in economy; some people struggle on this aircraft even though they find other BA long-haul economy seats acceptable.

Thanks for your information on this! I appreciate it. Even though I have called Princess several times no one could explain why I could not book seats for the second flight. I always had a feeling it had something to do with the code sharing.

Why is the 787-8 the least comfortable in economy? This is an almost 8 hour flight for us. My dh is 6' with long legs and never very comfortable on most aircraft as his knees just barely hit the seat in front of him. He likes aisle seats. I would want to sit next to him but I am short and have no problem. Is it the pitch of the seat that is the issue or are they hard seats so therefore uncomfortable? Where should we pick our seats?