Where do you keep your beach stuff?

jackchick

so I'm wondering while the family is playing in the water or strolling the beach in the Caribbean, whose watching our stuff. Camera's, id, $$, that kind of thing. Junkanoo is public, and the Day pass places don't list that there are lockers...so how do you handle enjoying yourself and not worrying about your stuff?:eek:

We went to Alaska, and frankly, this isn't a problem there!!:D

Honestly thats the one part I dislike about getting off in ports is having to worry about your stuff when you want to take a walk or a dip in the ocean. On my last cruise I traveled with my girlfriend and family, so there was 6 of us total so someone was always lounging around by the stuff which made it nice to be able to wander off worry free. But usually my girlfriend and I cruise alone which brings up the scenario you talked about. We're not big photography people and are suffice using our iPhone for photos, so we just bring one of our phones and minimal cash. I'll usually keep the cash/ids in my bathing suit pocket, and hold onto my phone while standing in the water for a bit. That way the only thing left behind me is towels, flips, and water bottles.

I mean are there bad people all over the world, yes of course. But I've been to Jukanoo beach 3 times now and never had a big reason to worry. Yeah it's a public beach but it's filled up with mostly other cruisers, sure there is "locals" but the locals run/work at/own the bars and shops at Junkanoo, the last thing they want is there business front getting a bad rap for robbery/thefts.

We had a kyss bag and it began to fall apart at the seams. One seam was part of the locking mechanism. We switched to a cool bag. They are now selling thier 2nd generation of the bag and the quality and function is much better than the kyss bag. We never had a problem or uneasiness when using our bag at the beach. We lock around 2 loungers most times but have also locked to palm trees and other stationary objects. If its just a phone and wallet items, I like to use my waterproof case that came with an arm band.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

As a solo cruiser, I have to confront this issue at every port... My "tried and true" method is to bring my stuff in a plastic shopping bag (Target, Walmart, ect) and just leave it on the beach. Anyone looking to make away with anything of value would just dismiss the item.

My "B" plan method is to find an honest looking older couple, and simply ask them to watch my stuff.

I zip tie the zipper on our bag shut, and then zip tie the bag itself to a beach chair within sight of where we're swimming. That's secure enough to stop someone from going through the bag or grabbing it before I could be on top of him.

We went to Dunns River Falls in Jamaica on one of our cruises and were transferred there from the ship via a catamaran. The employees on the catamaran advised everyone to leave their personal items on the catamaran which we did. We walked to the Falls and I was standing on the beach when I see our catamaran sail off into the distance. We didn't even have a towel with us. I was a little nervous that our "stuff" would still be intact when they returned for us. Our belongings were all there when we boarded but I was a wreck.

We had a kyss bag and it began to fall apart at the seams. One seam was part of the locking mechanism. We switched to a cool bag. They are now selling thier 2nd generation of the bag and the quality and function is much better than the kyss bag. We never had a problem or uneasiness when using our bag at the beach. We lock around 2 loungers most times but have also locked to palm trees and other stationary objects. If its just a phone and wallet items, I like to use my waterproof case that came with an arm band.

We got a Kyss bag for this exact issue and have been dragging it around for about 4 years without any trouble - that's too bad about yours. And definitely disappointing they didn't respond to you. The Cool Bag looks another great option, with some nice extra features. We'll have to look at that one, too. Gen 2 is definitely a bit more money, but it looks like a really well designed bag! Have you used Gen 2?

We never take anything of value off the ship if we are going to a beach. Have towels and a underwater throw-a-way camera that I take into the water for photos with me. Use it for other photos at the port. Only take less than$50 which goes in my husband's Velcro pocket bathing suit pocket. We have been on more than 100 cruises over 30 years and have never had a problem leaving our beach bag on the beach!

• 2 weeks later...
I zip tie the zipper on our bag shut, and then zip tie the bag itself to a beach chair within sight of where we're swimming. That's secure enough to stop someone from going through the bag or grabbing it before I could be on top of him.

How are you going to cut the zip ties when you are ready to leave? Are you going to carry scissors or a knife with you when you are swimming? Just curious.

It works out good for us because normally my husband doesn't swim. If he does, then I stay with our stuff.

That said, we try not to bring anything really valuable to the beach. Credit cards (if needed) and money can get wet, so if we were both going to be in the water at once I'd probably put them in a ziplock bag to go in my husband's trunks that have velcro pockets.

I did finally buy a waterproof camera which is great because I can take it in the water with me, so no worries there.

I bought a vacation vault but its not big enough for my camera and I think it would take up valuable weight in my luggage :rolleyes:. I usually carry a lightweight backpack to the beach and I like the idea of zip ties! But I'm trying to figure out how would I cut my bag off the lounger? Do pocket knives get confiscated at the security check points when getting back on the ship? Are fingernail clippers strong enough to work? If my belongings were secure, playing in the ocean would be so much more relaxing!

I use a wrist wallet. The ones i like are made of the same kind of material as a swimsuit and close with a zipper, and are large enough to carry a credit card or two and hotel room passkey or ship card. Sometimes I may carry a bit of money, but since its not waterproof that will get wet. However, i have never had a vendor at a beach refuse my wet dollar bill or euro bill.

With a towel, a waterproof camera, some sunblock and my wrist wallet I'm not only all set for a day at the beach but also my wallet is pickpocket proof in cities. No one has ever taken my towel or sunblock, which are the only things i leave back on the beach while i swim or snorkel.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the feedback and ideas. I was concerned about ID, and of course spending $ since you can't drink the water your playing in!! But we booked a Cabana on Princess Cays beach day, and the Nassau day we're doing the ATV adventure with some beach time with the smaller crowd so I think it will go OK.