DUI embarking in Vancouver

My husband has an old DUI, will be a couple months shy of 10 years when we leave next month. I have called a lot of different numbers and no one can tell me if he will be denied entry. We embark in Vancouver, going in a day early. He will not be driving. He has been once or twice on a business trip to Toronto since then, but I noticed his passport was not stamped. Has anyone had any experience with this and does anyone know someone who has been denied entry? Our PVP from Carnival said he has never heard of anyone being denied, but to for sure don't lie about it...help/information please???

Your Carnival PVP may be telling the truth, but just because he's ignorant of something doesn't mean it's not true. People are frequently forbidden entry for DUIs and other Canadian criminal offences which may only be misdemeanours in the country the offence was committed.

If he's been to Toronto since the offence, there are two possible scenarios - first, his offence has been noticed and he's already been 'deemed rehabilitated' by a CBSA agent as he crossed the border (if it was 5+ years since the offence when he went to Toronto, this is quite possible). If this is the case, he should not face any additional issue this time around.

The second possibility that springs to mind is that his DUI is not linked to the ID he crossed the border with (i.e. he used something other than his driving license, like a passport, which you did mention he has). If he was never asked about a criminal record when entering Canada, and it wasn't linked to his passport, he could have entered with no difficulty.

The problem is that now Canada and the US actually share info properly, whereas we did not until 2-3 years ago. So if his Toronto trips were several years ago, and his record was already known to CBP, it will now have been shared with CBSA... and if you've called any Canadian authorities and given his name/passport/other ID it's also quite possibly in the system even if CBP records did not have it.

Personally, with him being almost at the 10 year mark (and I assume no other offences committed more recently?) and having successfully entered Canada twice, I'd say odds are very good that he'll be admitted again. But I would still take copies of all the relevant documents to prove he's 'served his time' for the offence, in case they are asked for.

Unfortunately it's entirely up to the discretion of the CBSA agent whether to admit someone with a DUI or similar offence so there are no guarantees. In short - the only way to find out if he'll get in - is to try to get in. The only other thing he could do is apply for a pardon - there's a $200 fee and a lengthy wait, so depending when your cruise is planned for this may not be feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I took a cruise last year to Canada. He has a DUI from 2002 (nearly 15 years old). The night before we arrived in Canada a letter was slipped under our door requesting for him to come to the theater the next morning. When he arrived, it seemed that everyone with a criminal record was there and so was Canada customs. They denied his entry and suspended his cruise card for getting off the ship at our Canada stops. Basically, he just had to stay on the ship for these days.

Edited by chembree
typos

No doubt that's what happened Chembree, but it's irrelevant to OP - they embark in Vancouver which means flying, driving, taking the train across the border to get to the ship. If the same treatment occurs as did to your DH, they'll be turned back rather than just having 'bonus sea days' instead of Canadian ports...

As you have learned, you will not ever get a straight "Yes/No" answer from CBSA. There are so many factors to be considered for different offenses and timelines.

That being said, I agree with others that the conviction being nearly 10 years ago, with no other offenses, should weigh heavily in your husband's favor of being allowed entry into Canada.

Of course as also stated, he should not lie about a previous conviction if questioned, and should have paper work to verify that his offense & case was officially resolved and all terms of probation, suspension, fines etc. were completed, resolved and closed.

In all likelihood, he will enter Canada without any problems or questions. There is another very long thread on this topic on Page 2, "Have DUI, can I get off ship in Victoria BC" if you care to read it.

Once back from the cruise, please come back and let the forum know how everything turned out.

Edited by Racer70

• 2 weeks later...

I was charged with a DUI in 2008. It was an ordinance violation where I live but still considered a felony in Canada. I applied for rehabilitation almost a year in advance of my cruise that will end in Vancouver. Much to my dismay, my application was denied as the Consulate stated that I had failed to prove that I was rehabilitated. I was able to get some assistance and although it did come with a price tag, I am now considered rehabilitated. If anyone would like details and a referral to the wonderful people who helped me, please email me at sun underscore lovin1 at yahoo. I really want to help because I was not able to find accurate information on this subject anywhere and didn't want to be turned away when we had hoped to spend a few days in Vancouver post cruise.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

I was charged with a DUI in 2008. It was an ordinance violation where I live but still considered a felony in Canada. I applied for rehabilitation almost a year in advance of my cruise that will end in Vancouver. Much to my dismay, my application was denied as the Consulate stated that I had failed to prove that I was rehabilitated. I was able to get some assistance and although it did come with a price tag, I am now considered rehabilitated. If anyone would like details and a referral to the wonderful people who helped me, please email me at sun underscore lovin1 at yahoo. I really want to help because I was not able to find accurate information on this subject anywhere and didn't want to be turned away when we had hoped to spend a few days in Vancouver post cruise.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Your story is exactly why people should NOT listen to other say "go ahead. they won't catch you!". It isn't their cruise or money that will be affected.