Formal nights

bemardc

We are taking an 18 night cruise on the Mariner. I understand they still have formal nights on cruises of 16 days plus. How many will there be? Packing for a 10 day Explorer cruise was so easy.

Did an 18-day on Mariner in January-February (Miami - Lima) and there was not a formal night per se, and I didn't have a jacket or tie. On the night of the Captain's reception, many folks like to dress up a bit, but even on that night the dress code was the same as every night: county club casual.

There well likely be two "formal optional" night's on your cruise. As mentioned above, it is not required that you dress formally. You will likely see everything from polo shirts to tuxedos. Generally, at least 75% of men wear a dress shirt - usually with a jacket.

The FAQ's on the Regent website are very useful:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard/

On the question of Formal Optional nights it advises:

"On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen"

So it sounds like it's up you on how you'll dress.

Within some limits. Collared shirt for men, no flip flops for anybody, no denim for anybody. Note this is only after 6 PM. Before then anything that wouldn't get you arrested on land is OK.

In some sense the "Formal Optional" nights are a fake. If one wants to dress formally every evening nobody will stop you. But on the "Formal Optional" nights, many people will choose to do that, while on other nights it is a bit unusual but not unknown.

We do the occasional 'black tie' events at home so I get the opportunity to dust off the tuxes every now and again. Sorry, I don't feel the need to do that on vacation. :p

Although we did do a 15-night Christmas sailing on Cunard and they had five Formal Nights (notice the definite lack of the word 'optional') and although it was kind of fun being all cleaned up with 2,500 of my closest friends, it's not something I want to do all the time. I much prefer Regent where if I toss on a sport coat, I'm dressed up.

Within some limits. Collared shirt for men, no flip flops for anybody, no denim for anybody. Note this is only after 6 PM. Before then anything that wouldn't get you arrested on land is OK.

In some sense the "Formal Optional" nights are a fake. If one wants to dress formally every evening nobody will stop you. But on the "Formal Optional" nights, many people will choose to do that, while on other nights it is a bit unusual but not unknown.

Well, that's a given!

We do the occasional 'black tie' events at home so I get the opportunity to dust off the tuxes every now and again. Sorry, I don't feel the need to do that on vacation. :p

Me too..I retired and I'm not about to over dress when on vacation. In fact I gave up my Tux a few years ago........Rick

Me too..I retired and I'm not about to over dress when on vacation. In fact I gave up my Tux a few years ago........Rick

I'm not quite there yet - still have a few hanging in the closet; small town community bank, gotta go meet the peeps on occasion. :D

So, we have a 20 night cruise booked for 2019, how many 'formal' nights can we expect?

I was planning on taking some long dresses, that can be dressed up or down, but would hubby be ok in his DJ and normal suit trousers?

Thanks in advance, Sans

On our recent cruise, Hong Kong to Beijing, there were two voluntary formal nights. I saw men in tuxes and women wearing nice long dresses, men in suits, and some with jacket bu no tie. I love to dress up (whether it's a formal night or not) so I wore nice long dresses and my husband jacket and tie. You can simply follow the usual dress code if you don't want to dress up. To me, it's nice to see people dressed up. It does not have to be a tux and gown. My husband wears a jacket many a times to dinner. Sometimes with a tie and sometimes without it. We like that. That said, as long as you follow the dress code there is no reason to wear a tux. Enjoy the cruise.

On our recent cruise, Hong Kong to Beijing, there were two voluntary formal nights. I saw men in tuxes and women wearing nice long dresses, men in suits, and some with jacket bu no tie. I love to dress up (whether it's a formal night or not) so I wore nice long dresses and my husband jacket and tie. You can simply follow the usual dress code if you don't want to dress up. To me, it's nice to see people dressed up. It does not have to be a tux and gown. My husband wears a jacket many a times to dinner. Sometimes with a tie and sometimes without it. We like that. That said, as long as you follow the dress code there is no reason to wear a tux. Enjoy the cruise.

Thank you. I too like to dress for dinner, and hubby would automatically take his suit with shirts for the evenings, so, yes we will make it formal on the voluntary formal nights :D

We are taking an 18 night cruise on the Mariner. I understand they still have formal nights on cruises of 16 days plus. How many will there be? Packing for a 10 day Explorer cruise was so easy.

In our documents for the upcoming Mariner 18 day cruise they have Formal nights optional. Two nights. April 26th and May 10th. Enjoy Sandy

Just back from the Voyager.

Let's say normal nights 5% dressed up, 45% jacket with or without a tie, 49,5% no jackets (with or without a tie) and for the first time I saw 0,5% with sneakers and/or jeans or something like that.

Then the 2 semi offical nights 50% dressed up, 25% jacket with or without a tie and 25% no jacket (with or without a tie).

Must say it differs in which restaurant they eat.So do what you want/like.

Just back from the Voyager.

Let's say normal nights 5% dressed up, 45% jacket with or without a tie, 49,5% no jackets (with or without a tie) and for the first time I saw 0,5% with sneakers and/or jeans or something like that.

Then the 2 semi offical nights 50% dressed up, 25% jacket with or without a tie and 25% no jacket (with or without a tie).

Must say it differs in which restaurant they eat.So do what you want/like.

That 0.5% with sneakers and/or jeans should not have happened. Enforcement of rules/policies was quite strict on the Explorer on the last sailing. It was really nice to see everyone following the dress code.

On our cruise, I'd say that 50% of the men wore jackets (with or without a tie), 40% of men wore dress shirts and 10% wore polo's or short sleeved shirts. I was a bit surprised by how few dressed at the lowest acceptable level. It seems that passengers are dressing up more than in the past. I'm wondering if some men felt out of place in the past when attending the Captain's Reception or Seven Seas Society cocktail nights when almost everyone is dressed very nicely.

Our next cruise has formal optional nights (2) but due to the heat in the area, I doubt that my DH will pack a tux but will wear a lightweight suit and tie on Formal Optional nights and his normal dress shirt and slacks in the evening.

Our TA just got off the Explorer and she did say the ship was beautiful but a bit over the top in her opinion glitzy. She also mentioned they do have some service issues as it was not consistent and the food was either great or mediocre. Our agent sells a lot of Regent and Crystal and Seabourn.

We sailed with her and her assistant last month and she has been on the SS Muse which she thought the decor was a little bland but the food was phenomenal. Also she was on the Crystal Mozart and thought it was very high end for a river cruise. The owner of the agency went on the Encore and thought it was fabulous.

I did ask her about dress code and she said everyone was dressed nicely and she indeed see a few dress jeans in CR but with a nice shirt or jacket.

On Crystal we have similar party's and we always are invited to the Captains quarters. In the last several years we have declined these social events because it is always the same thing. We are not one to question the officers about every little thing. Some people including on Crystal love to dine with officers at the Captains table and take pictures being seen with him. Well, he is not the Pope and I would love a picture with him given the chance.

These dress code threads on the luxury lines are quite contentious and the reality is that it will continue to change with the younger generation and nobody will be able to stop it. The luxury lines will never become a Carnival but fashion and modern society will evolve in fashion.

The back in the day cruisers won't be happy but eventually they/we will all be gone. These lines are not your private club and all of them will see dress codes change a bit more.

I remember when Crystal was very formal and they adopted the Regent dress code. Well, many people were outraged but they still sail Crystal and the other luxury lines. The was true with included alcohol the old timers were having a fit saying that the ship would be full of drunks. Of course that did not happen. Now,people,are complaining about Crystal going to open dining next year. You can't please everyone.

Miles

I have not sailed SS in awhile but from what I hear they still have formal nights and some venues are always formal at least on the Muse such as Le Dame and one other I can't think of at the moment. But your question may be better answered on the SS board.

Thanks,

I did check out the SS board a few months ago, and they still had formal nights, in all public areas, after 6:00 PM. Just wondered if there had been a recent change, so I'll check again. Ten years ago, we took a couple of SS cruises and then really enjoyed dressing up for them then. But we (and the times) have changed.

SS still has formal nights on their traditional ships (not the expedition ships), except the new ship, the Muse where dress code depends on the restaurant. Some are formal every night, some informal every night, and some casual every night. No real formal night per se. Not sure how this will work out as the ship is just now on the maiden voyage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am sailing on the Explorer over Christmas and New Year. Understand the dress code, but just want to check if anyone can advise me on on formal nights over that particular period. I expect a lot of people do dress formally at that time - correct or not? Most? Don't want to feel under-dressed if the majority are formal. Thanks in advance. Husband likes to wear his kilt. Should I stop him? :)

Hi, I am sailing on the Explorer over Christmas and New Year. Understand the dress code, but just want to check if anyone can advise me on on formal nights over that particular period. I expect a lot of people do dress formally at that time - correct or not? Most? Don't want to feel under-dressed if the majority are formal. Thanks in advance. Husband likes to wear his kilt. Should I stop him? :)

Please do not stop your husband from wearing his kilt. It is proper attire for the occasion! In terms of dressing up, yes, people do dress up - particularly on New Year's Eve and Christmas Eve. Women will likely wear dresses or slacks and a sparkly top and men will wear suits (or a kilt of tuxedo). The majority will not be in tuxedos. Hope that this helps!

Enjoy your cruise and the beautiful Explorer!

You can not be overdressed. The only difference with normal/formal evening is the percentage of people dressing up. Just back from a Voyager cruise and there was a kilt (even it was not the "formal" evening). We find it very relaxing that you can ware what you like (Of course not to "underdressed" :))