Question about Wheel Chair assistance in boarding

Vinlin06

I am curious......first of all, my first ever cruise will be in May. I broke my leg last year, and still am using a walker most of the time and cane part time. My DH and I have FTTF for the cruise. I contacted Carnival and they said that there would be wheelchair at embarkation to get on the ship. Will there be a designated area for me to wait for the wheelchair? Or will there be multiple wheel chairs available? So confusing. We are leaving out of Galveston if that helps answer my questions.

I am curious......first of all, my first ever cruise will be in May. I broke my leg last year, and still am using a walker most of the time and cane part time. My DH and I have FTTF for the cruise. I contacted Carnival and they said that there would be wheelchair at embarkation to get on the ship. Will there be a designated area for me to wait for the wheelchair? Or will there be multiple wheel chairs available? So confusing. We are leaving out of Galveston if that helps answer my questions.

Just grab the first person with a Carnival vest that you see and let them know that you need wheelchair assistance. They will be able to direct you to the area to wait for wheelchairs. Remember, if you arrive early, they are still assisting guests off of the ship :) If you wait patiently, they will come to you (yes, there are multiple wheelchairs with pushers). You'll be fine!

Don't forget, if you are flying in, you can get wheelchair assistance at the airports as well.

Hi Vinlin

If you are still having mobility problem, with any sort of associated pain, I would suggest that you consider renting a wheelchair (from home) for your trip.

You say this is your first cruise. The wheelchairs available are only for the first day going on the ship and the last day getting off the ship, otherwise their wheelchairs are not available except for emergency use.

One thing you will realize quickly is how much walking and standing is required on the ship and when you are at your ports of call. Bring your cane and bring a folding wheelchair (as long as your husband is able to push you). I believe you won't regret it.

something to consider

have a great cruise

I agree with Nic6318 that you need to think through what assistance you need in addition to embark/disembark.

I can walk but only short distances. For our first cruise, I rented a scooter for the cruise and my DH pushed me in my manual wheelchair through the airports and into the cruise terminal. Several cruise line employees volunteered to push me up the ramp to board the ship but Mr. Macho <g> refused. Boy was he sorry before we got onto the ship - he didn't make that mistake again!

The scooter was a lifesaver. There is a lot of to-and-froing on board and without the scooter, DH would have had time to do nothing but push me around. With the scooter, I was fairly independent, and we could even do different things when our interests parted. The scooter is not nearly as comfortable as the wheelchair for long sitting times (like shows) so he still had to push me occasionally but not very often. We both loved my independence so much that I bought a folding scooter for use both around town and on our upcoming cruise. We are both looking forwrd to him NOT having to push me through the airport!

Yes, you can get assistance from your airline (including a wheelchair) to and from the gate, as you can get assistance from the cruise line (including a wheelchair) for embarkation and disembarkation. BUT ... you are supposed to request it in advance, and if all the wheelchairs are in use when you need one, you may wind up waiting. If you have your own wheelchair, you only have to wait for someone to push you, which typically takes less time than waiting for a wheelchair. Plus you have a more comfortable place to sit while you wait. If you can afford it, renting (or buying) a folding wheelchair for the trip AND renting a scooter for the cruise will really free both of you up to focus on enjoying the cruise. Check your local charity resale shops, they often have wheelchairs in reasonably good condition for a small price.

I see a lot of people on here who don't want to use a wheelchair/scooter because they want to keep whatever mobility they have. And I totally understand - I don't use wheelchair OR scooter at my home, for the same reason - only when I got out somewhere that is too far for me to walk. But a vacation is a special situation. I'm guessing you don't walk very fast with the walker or cane. Even if you could walk, say, from your cabin to the MDR, would you rather spend your limited cruise time getting around, or eating a delicious meal or watching a show? It's a long way from your cabin to the excursion pick-up point; would you rather spend your limited port time getting yourself to an excursion, or shopping or sitting on the beach? These aren't trick questions, only you can decide what your priorities are. I still walk whenever possible, but on a cruise that is likely to be only around my cabin. Outside the cabin, I almost always ride - to and from meals/shows/games/hot tub, off and on the ship for excursions, embarking, disembarking. Lets me save my time and energy for fun stuff!

I can walk but only a short distance w/o either my back or my knees killing me. to get on and off the plane I request wheelchair assistance. give the guy $10 each time and im done. my husband doesn't have to try and push me and juggle any bag or carry on I may have. as far as the ship: I requested wheelchair assistance on/off. I also reserved a mobility scooter for the ship. this scooter will be in our room when we arrive. this ship is huge and I don't know about you but there is no way I can walk it. why inconvenience my husband and have him push me all around. as mamasylvia said there will be times when you want to do one thing and he wants to do something else. he needs a vacation also. I park myself in the scooter and off I go. I will also be able to take the scooter off the ship at port and get around. look into the scooter, its the best thing you can do for yourself and your husband.

Edited by 1threadshort

I can walk but only a short distance w/o either my back or my knees killing me. to get on and off the plane I request wheelchair assistance. give the guy $10 each time and im done. my husband doesn't have to try and push me and juggle any bag or carry on I may have. as far as the ship: I requested wheelchair assistance on/off. I also reserved a mobility scooter for the ship. this scooter will be in our room when we arrive. this ship is huge and I don't know about you but there is no way I can walk it. why inconvenience my husband and have him push me all around. as mamasylvia said there will be times when you want to do one thing and he wants to do something else. he needs a vacation also. I park myself in the scooter and off I go. I will also be able to take the scooter off the ship at port and get around. look into the scooter, its the best thing you can do for yourself and your husband.

I am in the same exact situation as you....and feel the same as you pertaining to my husband pushing me around....soooo as I posted on the:

Air Hawk Wheelchair

Thread......He just purchased one for me! HAPPY! I was going to rent one, but we figure we have many cruises ahead of us and it would be more advantageous to buy one. Plus....I can use it other places!:)

Thanks for all the feedback. My DH and I are driving to the port so airline assistance is not needed. I have a 4 wheel walker that also has a seat so if I do get too tired, I can sit on it. We are not planning any excursions due to the bad leg so I think we will be fine. I do have a wheelchair that I had to be in for 4 months last year that I could bring, but I really really don't want to. I have been using the walker and cane for about 2 months now and getting stronger everyday. Thanks for all your suggestions. I have 3 1/2 weeks to change my mind about the wheelchair, but for now, I think the walker and cane will work for us.

> but I really really don't want to.

I understand that feeling. You could look at the diagram of your ship and estimate how far you would have to walk from your cabin to the elevator and from there to the dining room. Try walking that distance at a local mall. That will give you a good idea if you can walk that far on the ship and how tired you will be when you arrive.

> he needs a vacation also

I think this is so important. My BIL and SIL are coming on our next cruise and I can NOT get her to rent a scooter. He pushes her everywhere at home, but home isn't a giant cruise ship! Plus he has back problems. But I only have control over one person's actions so there is nothing I can do.

Thanks for all the feedback. My DH and I are driving to the port so airline assistance is not needed. I have a 4 wheel walker that also has a seat so if I do get too tired, I can sit on it. We are not planning any excursions due to the bad leg so I think we will be fine. I do have a wheelchair that I had to be in for 4 months last year that I could bring, but I really really don't want to. I have been using the walker and cane for about 2 months now and getting stronger everyday. Thanks for all your suggestions. I have 3 1/2 weeks to change my mind about the wheelchair, but for now, I think the walker and cane will work for us.

Question: would you rather have the wheelchair and not need it, or not have it and need it.

If you don't need the chair it can be folded and stashed.

My daughter in her first cruise didn't want to bring her chair but was sure glad we had it on days 6 and 7

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

The other thing I'd add in favour of taking a chair with you - is that moving around on a ship isn't like moving around on dry land...even in very calm seas there is a little movement, and in higher swells you might find you struggle. I can walk a very short distance with crutches and use a chair for anything further - but on a ship I use my chair pretty well exclusively as with my balance issues, just one little roll or bump is potentially enough to cause me to fall. You should have room to shove a folding chair in your cabin - even if you have to pull bits off to do so - you might not use it, but better I think to have it and have no need of it, than to find yourself stuck in your cabin because it's too difficult to get around.

I would highly encourage you to change your mind. Take the chair. Since this is your first cruise, it is highly doubtful that you really understand the amount of walking involved, even just to get to dinner. If you couple that with the rocking of the ship, it could make for a very difficult time for you. Take the chair. If you don't use it, then you can fold it up in your stateroom. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I think you'll be glad you did.

I agree with everyone who is advising you to have the chair with you---just in case. Just walking around the ship, while trying to remain upright in rocking seas, can be exhausting.

All of this is cumulative over the course of the cruise, too, so by that last night it is extremely difficult to get around. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to have fun because you're concentrating on staying upright.

I agree with the others about bringing your own chair. On past cruises, I would take my own wheelchair & then rent a scooter. It is ready for you in your room and is a lifesaver. I have MS & can not walk without some major assistance. The scooter has been great for me.