Flying with scooter and wheelchair

mamasylvia

DH and I just got back from a family wedding that I decided to use as a dry run for our cruise next month. To do that, I brought both my manual wheelchair and my new folding scooter. My plan was to use the wheelchair to get our luggage between shuttle lot and check-in, and ride my scooter to the gate. That worked out sort-of well.

The scooter started out by saving the day! I accidentally left half a sub sandwich in my car. You can imagine what rotten ham and cheese would have smelled like after 2 days in the heat! I realized I had left it before the shuttle bus actually left the big shuttle parking lot, but DH did not want to get off the shuttle bus with the suitcases and wheelchair to go get my sandwich. So I did! I scooted off the bus (the shuttle busses at Denver kneel) at the stop closest to ours (the shuttles go up one aisle and down the other), scooted across the parking lot, got my sandwich, and got onto the next shuttle bus. Nothing left to stink up the car! I would NOT have been able to do that without the scooter, it was way too far for me to push my wheelchair, and we would not have had time to go back to the shuttle lot after checking bags.

My plan was to put my big 29" wheelie and DH's big duffle on the wheelchair so DH only had to push one thing. DH didn't think the suitcase would stay on if he turned it sideways so there was room on the wc seat for his duffle (there was only about 6" sticking out the front of the wc). So he piled his duffle on top of the suitcase, which of course blocked his view and he didn't like that. We will have 2 carryons in addition to this luggage for the cruise, so I think I will bring a bungee cord along to anchor the luggage to the back of the wc. I brought a bungee along to hold the scooter together when it was folded up at the gate, which worked great. (It came with a soft case but wrestling it in and out is beyond me.) We checked bag, duffle, and wheelchair, and then DH only had to manage his "personal item" as I scooted myself through the airport to the gate. The scooter managed some fairly steep ramps (although slowly), which reassured me a lot about getting onto the ship. The independence was great, the seat not so much. I brought my "purple" folding seat cushion along, but it really didn't make enough of a difference to be tolerable, and getting on and off the scooter when there was a seat to wait in contributed to my leg fatigue. I'm going to look for something seat-sized that is 4-6" thick to use as a cushion, the scooter seat has always been uncomfortably low but it really is unpleasant for long periods of sitting. Maybe it's time to take it to an automobile upholstery shop.

I folded the scooter up and bungeed it at the gate, then walked onto the plane. Of course I had to wait for it to be brought back when we arrived in Houston, but I expected that. Then I unfolded it, hopped on, and scooted to baggage claim. DH REALLY liked not having to stay with me. He headed off to baggage claim while I waited for the scooter, and I headed to the car rental counter while he continued to wait for our luggage. Did I mention the independence was wonderful? ;)

We repeated this scenario on the trip home and it worked almost as well. I brought my charger but forgot to actually charge the scooter at the hotel, but still had 2/3 charge lights lit when we got back to the car. Only problem is that the airline lost my wheelchair on the return flight, so I had to continue sitting on the uncomfortable scooter while the agent filled out the missing luggage report and gave me my receipt. (They have now found it and it should be delivered back to me tomorrow.) But I'm really glad we did this practice run to find potential problems BEFORE we head out on the cruise. (And it was fun to see the airline employes' faces when they saw how small and light my folded scooter was!)

Great info! Thank you for sharing. How the heck did they lose your wheel chair?

May I ask you a couple of questions? This will be my first cruise taking a scooter. I purchased the one that comes apart (3 pieces).

1. Once we get out of the taxi, hubby will put it together so I am able to get thru the airport. Do I ride it thru the X-ray machine or do they scan it separately. In other words...is there a special procedure.

2. When we get to the gate, I am assuming I walk to my seat (I will have my cane) and they take it and store it? Should I put identification on it? Do they charge me $$$ for storing it? Do I have to take it apart for storage?

3. When we land...I stand at the exit gate and wait for them to bring it to me?

Thank you for any help you are able to provide. My first time and I have no idea what to expect. :o

Great info! Thank you for sharing. How the heck did they lose your wheel chair?

May I ask you a couple of questions? This will be my first cruise taking a scooter. I purchased the one that comes apart (3 pieces).

1. Once we get out of the taxi, hubby will put it together so I am able to get thru the airport. Do I ride it thru the X-ray machine or do they scan it separately. In other words...is there a special procedure.

2. When we get to the gate, I am assuming I walk to my seat (I will have my cane) and they take it and store it? Should I put identification on it? Do they charge me $$$ for storing it? Do I have to take it apart for storage?

3. When we land...I stand at the exit gate and wait for them to bring it to me?

Thank you for any help you are able to provide. My first time and I have no idea what to expect. :o

My husband and I just returned from a cruise where he took his scooter. On the way to San Juan, we had two stops (ugh...went from Bangor, Maine to DC to Miami to San Juan). I didn't want to mess with the scooter that much, plus we only had a hour in Miami, so we checked the scooter with his luggage and asked for wheelchair service. I had to remove the battery and bring it in my carry-on. (We did all this arranging ahead of time with AA's Assistance Department). His scooter folds, although it's heavier than the writer above's scooter...weighs 51 lbs after I remove the battery.

On the way home, we only had one stop so he kept the scooter and rode it to the gate. At the gate, he got off and with his cane walked onto the plane. I kept the carry-on, removed the lithium ion battery from the scooter, folder up the scooter, and left it by the door where they take such things to stow below. You have to be sure to speak to the airline ahead of time about what kind of scooter and battery you have so they can approve it.

For a scooter that comes apart, be sure all parts have your identification on it. I would also put a tag that says "part 1 of 3" "part 2 of 3" and "part 3 of 3" just to be safe. And each part should then get a gate-check tag. They will have you pre-board so they have time to get it stored, and you can comfortably get to your seat.

At the x-ray, you will either ride through the machine and set off alarms and then be manually screened (pat down and or wand), or they will open an area for you to ride through. Be prepared to wait...and you will be manually screened.

They will return the scooter to you as you get off...you should probably be the last off or else you will have to wait by the exit for the scooter. When it comes, your husband will put it together and you can ride up the jetway. Leave enough time if you're catching another flight.

There is no charge for storing or for checking any medical device. As for whether you have to take it apart, it will depend on its total weight. Someone will have to bring it down a flight of stairs to store it, and then bring it back up. They barely make it with our 51 lb folding scooter. Again, talk to the airlines department that handles special needs.

Good luck!

Jane

Oh my goodness! First, thank you Jane for all of the information. I am truly surprised and a little discouraged. So my hubby has to take it apart for it to be stored on the plane??? What do they do with the ones that "don't" come apart. This seems crazy to me. I also had no idea I had to notify the airline ahead of time, so thank you for that. Also had no idea the battery had to go in your carry on. Ugh.

I don't quite understand why I would need a "pat down". (not thrilled with that). I can walk thru the scanner. Also, what stairs are you talking about that the scooter has to be carried up and down? This will be impossible with all of our luggage. I know our airport has elevators.

Thank you again for all of the info you provided. I guess this is all a little overwhelming to me and perhaps I should have just rented a scooter to be delivered to the ship instead of purchasing one. :(

Oh my goodness! First, thank you Jane for all of the information. I am truly surprised and a little discouraged. So my hubby has to take it apart for it to be stored on the plane??? What do they do with the ones that "don't" come apart. This seems crazy to me. I also had no idea I had to notify the airline ahead of time, so thank you for that. Also had no idea the battery had to go in your carry on. Ugh.

I don't quite understand why I would need a "pat down". (not thrilled with that). I can walk thru the scanner. Also, what stairs are you talking about that the scooter has to be carried up and down? This will be impossible with all of our luggage. I know our airport has elevators.

Thank you again for all of the info you provided. I guess this is all a little overwhelming to me and perhaps I should have just rented a scooter to be delivered to the ship instead of purchasing one. :(

Rest assured, you will be fine. If you can walk through the scanner, they will allow you to do that and test your scooter separately.

I believe Jane was talking about the stairs that the luggage handlers have to take the gate-checked pieces down to put onto the plane. DH rides his scooter down the jetbridge and then walks onto the plane. We have never taken his scooter apart. If the jetbridge we are on does not have a luggage elevator, they simply take it to one that does, take it down to the tarmac and then load it on the plane. They return it to us the same way at the end of the trip. Airport personnel are very accustomed to working with scooters and will take care of it for you.

You do have to notify the airline prior to your trip. We use Southwest and there is a place to note it on our reservation when I make it online. You could simply call your TA or the airline and have it added to your reservation. Honestly, I think that if you forget, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Don't stress about it! You will love having the independence that having your own scooter with you through the airport gives you. DH always felt a little tied-down by having the rely on the wheelchair service.

Hi Champagne! Welcome to scooter life. ;)

My experience with TSA was similar to what has already been shared. I can walk short distances but I have a hip replacement so I set off the scanners and I have flown 4 times since that surgery. The first 2 times, I was in a wheelchair, stood up, walked through the scanner, set it off (of course), and they wanded the areas that set it off. They checked the wheelchair separately, I don't know exactly what they looked for. DH pushed me in the wc to the gate, I walked onto the plane, they gate-checked the wc. I sit on the plane until they tell me the wc or scooter has arrived, there is no way I could stand waiting for it.

This time, I checked my wheelchair with our luggage and scooted to the gate. Security had changed slightly. The first time, the TSA officer asked me if I wanted to walk through the scanner. I said (of course) I would rather not. I missed the part of his conversation that the alternative was a full pat-down. But it wasn't too bad; the TSA agent was very nice, explained exactly what she would be doing, and offered to take me to a private room - I said if anyone got a kick out of watching me get a pat-down, they had more problems than I do. ;) They also checked the scooter, again I don't know exactly what they did because I was sitting on it. I had to stand up a couple of times but I explained that I couldn't stand long and they accommodated that.

On the trip back, I said I would walk through the scanner, but more than my hip set off the scanner (NO idea why!) so I had to get patted down again. Not fun but the agents were respectful, not obnoxious at all (except they apparently don't rely on the non-invasive wand any more). They had checked my scooter while I was in the scanner. As others have said, they are very used to dealing with flyers with various handicaps and take it all in stride.

My scooter does not come apart but I had a luggage tag attached to the handlebars, which is also where they attached the gate check ticket. I stood outside the plane door and folded it up, then walked into the plane and to my seat. I always book seats very close to the front so I don't have far to walk. Then I wait on the plane until they bring my scooter up, walk out, set it up, and scoot off.

How much hassle you will have to go through depends on what type of battery powers your scooter, but AFAIK, all the light travel-types use a lithium ion battery. The FAA regs on them are quite complicated and I'm not sure I understand them completely even after several readings, plus the airlines are free to impose greater restrictions if they choose. They are supposed to be under 300 watt-hours to even be allowed on a plane, but people here have reported being able to fly with higher-capacity batteries. (I didn't want to risk it so I bought my scooter with the "travel" battery instead of the high-capacity battery it normally comes with.) When I told the airline I was flying with my scooter, they told me I would have to remove the battery for the flight and keep it in the cabin with me, but I didn't actually have to for either flight. (You should be prepared to, though. Mine is fairly simple to remove.) The regs sound (to me) like a battery can stay in the scooter as long as it is part of the scooter and there is some mechanism to keep it from discharging in flight (such as a key to turn it on/off, which mine has). But yes, you should always adivse the airline ahead of time that you are travelling with a scooter, and be prepared to supply make/model, type of battery, and battery capacity if asked. In my experience, sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't. I have never been charged for my wheelchair, and this last flight, I had BOTH wheelchair and scooter and was not charged for either of them. I don't believe you will be required to take your scooter apart IF it has a freewheel mode so the baggage person can push it down a ramp somewhere rather than having to carry it down and up steps. A lot of people have regular (not lightweight) scooters that they fly with, they just put them in freewheel mode and the gate attendants whisk them away. I could probably have done that with mine but (rightly or wrongly) I felt that it would be harder for my scooter to get damaged once it was folded up, as the different parts would brace each other, plus it takes up less space that way. Definitely talk to the airline - they are legally required to accommodate passengers with disabilities but in my experience, they really try to accommodate you, they aren't just trying to squeak by with the minimal effort possible. But knowing what their requirements are will help you be prepared. If you run into a requirement that you need help meeting, be sure to post about it here - there are many experienced scooter travellers and some really creative members! And by all means, ask anything here that occurs to you. As you can see, there are plenty of people to respond!

Airlines can lose anything. I'm just grateful that they lost it on the return flight rather than the flight there - it would have been a very uncomfortable couple of days if I had had to scoot everywhere. The wheelchair was much more comfortable for sitting in at the hotel, at restaurants, and especially at the wedding and reception. Once we were back home, it was less of a concern - my car is reasonably comfortable to sit in and I never use wheelchair or scooter at home anyway. The wheelchair did turn up and it was delivered to my home today, so I have it next time I need it.

How deeply I thank you for all of this wonderful information. I am a newbie to the scooter and this is very valuable info for me....and hopefully others that are flying for the first time with a scooter or wheel chair. Sorry to the OP....I did not mean to hijack your thread. :hearteyes: I now have a clearer picture of what to expect. THANK YOU!!!!

Hmmm, I was reporting on my experience flying with a wheelchair and scooter and you asked about flying with a scooter - doesn't sound like thread hijacking to me. :* Hope you have picked up some good info and have a wonderful trip. I simply cannot overstate the feeling of FREEDOM to not have to wait on anyone to push me around the airport!

• 1 month later...
Hmmm, I was reporting on my experience flying with a wheelchair and scooter and you asked about flying with a scooter - doesn't sound like thread hijacking to me. :* Hope you have picked up some good info and have a wonderful trip. I simply cannot overstate the feeling of FREEDOM to not have to wait on anyone to push me around the airport!

Hi,

I will be renting a scooter for our cruise this summer.

I am trying to decided if I should bring a manual wheelchair too?

We will be cruising out of Southampton. Last year we went out of Rome.

I remember a long walk from where we were dropped off and no wheel chair available until ready to board ship. It also too a long time for wheel chair to take me onto ship.

Would it be worth bringing a wheelchair from USA to Southampton?

Scooter is suppose to be deliver to our cabin on ship. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I remember a long walk from where we were dropped off and no wheel chair available until ready to board ship. It also too a long time for wheel chair to take me onto ship.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get an answer right away. These wonderful ladies, that have helped me immensely, usually post in the evening. :)

Hi,

I would say that if you are at all concerned, bring your wheelchair. Flying with a wheelchair is really not a big burden for anyone.

Will scooter and wheelchair fit in regular cabin? Thanks

That depends on a variety of factors:

• specific ship
  • specific cabin type
  • size of scooter/wheelchair
  • amount of space necessary for the user (mobility of user)

Hello there, DH & I have been traveling/cruising with our scooters for the last 5 years. We are so grateful of our freedom with these scooters!! We both have a "Luggie" scooter, it's extremely light weight and folds up like a small luggage, hence, the name "Luggie". We both use canes to walk short distances but cannot walk long distances or stand for very long. The TSA at all the airports we've been to have been extremely accommodating. We usually don't have to remove our battery from the scooter when we fly but it wouldn't be a problem if we had to. Onboard ships, it is excellent for long hallways and around the decks. We have finally found our freedom of traveling and will never travel without our little scooters again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

This is a very interesting thread. Mamasylvia always has such interesting things to share. What do you need to know about scooters at the airport?

1) You need to know how to break it down (at least to a point where the gate workers can get it to storage)

2) You should get a small carry on bag for your battery and bungee cords etc.

3) You can ride right to the gate. Put your gate check chit on the scooter. The gate worker will store it in the hold.

4) When you land wait for most to deplane and you should see your scooter there.

5) uncompress it (put it back together). Put the battery in/on, connect and your off.

The problem is which of the billions of scooters out there do you have? I have a Smart Scoot it breaks down to 2 different levels. Airplane Mode (for want of a better name) . The steering column folds down to the seat and a Velcro strap holds it to the seat. Then the seat-back folds over the steering column. It's not a huge deal you mostly will not have to break it down to its smallest, pack-able size.

champagne123,

Good question What do they do with the ones that "don't" come apart? I think they just run them down the ramp to the storage area. BUT consider this. IF your scooter is really heavy, I would guess they would not be so gentle hustling that bad boy around.

Regarding your hubby putting it together and taking it apart .... what kind of scooter do you have?

Seashoregal,

You can rent a scooter here Scoot Anywhere. They have a huge selection. They ship the scooter to your house. You take it on your cruise. So you can ride it to the gate, ride it from the gate, put it in a cab, go to the port and ride it on the ship. When you get home you ship it back to them. They have both the TravelScoot and SmartScoot rentals and you can rent to own plus many other mobility devices. I have heard that you sometimes can pick up a rental scooter from both Care Vacations and Special Needs @ Sea. I understand they have some kiosks at some ports where you can pick up the scooter before you board and save the hassle of waiting for someone to schlepp you to your stateroom to get your scooter. I don't have personal experience with this (the Kiosk thing). I have rented from Care Vacations and they had the scooter in my stateroom when I arrived. So this long winded response was to say If you can wait for your husband to go to your stateroom and then come back and get you riding the scooter that would preclude your need for a wheelchair (assuming I understood your need correctly).

Renting scooter for my first time.

Should I bring a wheelchair too?

Ask yourself what the wheelchair can do for you that the scooter can't. Now ask if bringing the wheelchair is worth the effort to accomplish what it can add to the devices collection. Can you cruise easily without it?

That should give you an answer.

I've been renting a scooter for my last several cruises, and it's done everything I need it to do. However, your needs may be different, so having both could be a real convenience.

champagne123,

Good question What do they do with the ones that "don't" come apart? I think they just run them down the ramp to the storage area. BUT consider this. IF your scooter is really heavy, I would guess they would not be so gentle hustling that bad boy around.

Regarding your hubby putting it together and taking it apart .... what kind of scooter do you have?

After much research, I just purchased a scooter that seems to meet my needs. My circumstances are not as critical as some other people. I just cannot walk long distances anymore. My last cruise proved extremely challenging and was unable to leave the ship. With my up coming cruise to the ABC Islands for the first time, I refuse to miss it!!! This seems like the perfect solution. I did not want to invest thousands of dollars, since I only need the scooter for certain circumstances. I saw another post about the Echo 3. Pretty good reviews on Ebay and the company website. I saw it was advertised at Walgreens for $499 plus free shipping. I then found a coupon for Walgreens for $75 on retailmenot!!!! Yipeeeee. Here is a pic....it weighs 58lbs. and comes apart in 3 pieces. Hopefully it will not be a problem for the airlines.

155_zpsrs7hqwuz.jpg

Edited by champagne123

Renting the scooter and it is suppose to be in cabin by 2 PM sail day in Southampton.

Thought of buying one, but none in my area to try before buying.

Also worried if I bought and it got damage on overseas flight.

C

Will be in port are 3 days before trip. Was thinking wheel chair could help there.

Renting the scooter and it is suppose to be in cabin by 2 PM sail day in Southampton.

Thought of buying one, but none in my area to try before buying.

Also worried if I bought and it got damage on overseas flight.

C

Will be in port are 3 days before trip. Was thinking wheel chair could help there.

CONGRATS!!!! I contemplated doing the same, but after much thought, hubby and I will be retiring in a year or two and have plans for many cruises ahead of us. Just thought it would be smarter for MY situation to invest a few dollars and get my own. (plus I can use it for non-cruises also, when needed). :cool:

Edited by champagne123

Could you rent the wheelchair for the pre-cruise only, and the scooter for the cruise only?

Will there be cobblestones where your pre-cruise is? Wheelchairs and cobblestones do not play well together.