Alaska Dock/Tender Changes

Chairsin

This is a heads up to all of those headed to Alaska this season. Double check your itinerary when you receive your travel documents for changes with respect to docking versus tendering.

A couple of months ago I was looking at the Alaska Cruise line Association website (claalaska.com) to figure out where we would be docking in certain ports so I could make private tour arrangements. I was surprised to see that in three of the ports (Juneau, Haines and Ketchikan) where Seabourn showed us docking according to this website we were actually anchoring and tendering to shore. I called Seabourn and was told that the information was incorrect and that we were docking as shown on our original itinerary.

Yesterday I received my Travel Documents for the July cruise and it shows that in Juneau and Ketchikan we are anchoring. It still shows us docking in Haines. A quick check of the claalaska.com website and we are still listed as anchoring so I expect to hear from Seabourn eventually as to that change.

If you want to double check your cruise go to the website and click on the header Alaska cruise schedule. Then you will see the ports listed and click on one to see the cruise calendar. To decifer the code go back to the previous page and at the top click on berth codes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was thinking of booking an Alaska cruise this year - Regent had a decent offer for UK people - but then I looked up each port of call and discovered they each had five or six bigger ships in port each day. Obviously it's what we call a bun-fight and we quickly went off the idea.

Thanks for posting, Chairsin. Interesting information!

This is a heads up to all of those headed to Alaska this season. Double check your itinerary when you receive your travel documents for changes with respect to docking versus tendering.

A couple of months ago I was looking at the Alaska Cruise line Association website (claalaska.com) to figure out where we would be docking in certain ports so I could make private tour arrangements. I was surprised to see that in three of the ports (Juneau, Haines and Ketchikan) where Seabourn showed us docking according to this website we were actually anchoring and tendering to shore. I called Seabourn and was told that the information was incorrect and that we were docking as shown on our original itinerary.

Yesterday I received my Travel Documents for the July cruise and it shows that in Juneau and Ketchikan we are anchoring. It still shows us docking in Haines. A quick check of the claalaska.com website and we are still listed as anchoring so I expect to hear from Seabourn eventually as to that change.

If you want to double check your cruise go to the website and click on the header Alaska cruise schedule. Then you will see the ports listed and click on one to see the cruise calendar. To decifer the code go back to the previous page and at the top click on berth codes.

Unrelated question. Do you usually get your seabourn travel documents that far in advance? We tend to get them only a week or two before, via our TA.

This is the 8 1/2 by 11 inch booklet titled Exclusive Travel Planner that includes all of the tours -- not the final small booklet that comes about a month pre cruise. My TA is in the UK, I am in the US, and this is about when I usually receive this document.

Fletcher,

Yes I can see why that would be off putting. We will have two ports - Juneau and Ketchikan -- that we will be sharing with 8,000- 10,000 other cruise ship passengers. But we have a strategy to escape from them (private tours and renting a car) so we can minimize the chaos. Luckily the other ports are either ones that most big cruise ships don't go to or there is only one other ship in port with us.

Thanks! Have a wonderful trip!

This is the 8 1/2 by 11 inch booklet titled Exclusive Travel Planner that includes all of the tours -- not the final small booklet that comes about a month pre cruise. My TA is in the UK, I am in the US, and this is about when I usually receive this document.