Atlanta to Heathrow

cruisinlawn

I turn to you air experts for advice. Currently ATL to LHR nonstop is around $1500pp. However, MCO (Orlando) to LHR with a layover in ATL is under $1000pp.

I live in Atlanta, could I book the Orlando to Heathrow, skip the first leg (MCO-ATL) and board in Atlanta. On the return we would obviously drop the last leg and remain in Atlanta. Is this possible? Would they consider us no show for not boarding in Orlando and drop of from the remainder of flight (ATL-LHR)? Thanks for any advice.:)

If booked on one record, dropping the MCO-ATL segment would cause the entire itinerary to be dropped. Not making your first flight cancels all the rest.

Kinda what I thought might be the case. Got it.

On the return, if we dropped out in Atlanta and failed to board for the final ATL-MCO leg, any consequence?

Thanks Bruce, your always a great help.

edit..probably bad idea as bags would be checked through to MCO

Kinda what I thought might be the case. Got it.

On the return, if we dropped out in Atlanta and failed to board for the final ATL-MCO leg, any consequence?

Thanks Bruce, your always a great help.

edit..probably bad idea as bags would be checked through to MCO

Dropping the leg from ATL to MCO is not a problem, as long as you don't make a habit of it, and the airline notices.

No, your bags wouldn't be a problem as you have to claim your bags at your first US stop, and go through Immigration and Customs, then re-check them to MCO. The only hitch here would be if your arrived in the US from an airport that has US pre-clearance (like Toronto, or Ireland, for example). If so, you would got through Immigrations and Customs at that foreign airport, and your bags would be checked through to MCO.

ah, gotcha. So this might work for us. We could pick up a $100-150 flight to MCO. Then take the MCO-ATL-LHR outbound. On the return LHR-ATL-MCO collect our bags in Atl and drop out. That is if Heathrow doesn't do the pre-clearance drill.

I realize we'll add flying time but could possibly trim over $800 in airfare...crazy. Strange we can't get similar fares direct from ATL, that's the way it is. Thanks for the input.:)

There is also the possibility that on the return, if you have a mechanical, you might get rerouted onto a non-stop from LHR (assuming that's the start for your return) to MCO. Both you and your bags go to Florida.

There is another option, depending on your time constraints. Purchase two tickets - one R/T ATL-MCO-ATL and the other R/T MCO-LHR-MCO. Nest the LHR ticket in the middle. So you would fly:

ATL-MCO (outbound on 1st ticket)

MCO-LHR (outbound on 2nd ticket)

LHR-MCO (return on 2nd ticket)

MCO-ATL (return on 2nd ticket)

Now the caveats.

You need to be sure that you get to MCO for your outbound. So you need plenty of "cushion" to cover potential issues. It doesn't matter why you don't show; since they are separate tickets, you are just a no-show. Ditto on the return.

Your bags will NOT be through checked from ATL to LHR. Separate tickets, separate check-in for each ticket and any baggage fees are for each ticket, not the whole ATL-MCO-ATL-LHR. Same on the return. So you will have to collect bags, re-check, and re-screen at security.

For a couple hundred bucks, the hassle and extra fares and fees would likely eat up any "savings" on the international ticket. For a lot more (as in some cases), it might be worth it.

exactly what we looked at doing on two separate tickets, However, no direct flights from MCO to LHR. Appreciate you mentioning the bag fees, hadn't thought about that and it will certainly add cost. That along with the added travel time to make this work may not justify the savings as previously mentioned. Guess it was worth inquiring about, least I learned couple new things. Thanks to you both. Enjoy :)

exactly what we looked at doing on two separate tickets, However, no direct flights from MCO to LHR.

Sorry...forgot that the MCO flights from London are from Gatwick. But the principle is the same. You could be rerouted via JFK or DTW and never see ATL.

On the return LHR-ATL-MCO collect our bags in Atl and drop out. That is if Heathrow doesn't do the pre-clearance drill.

They do not. But as Flyertalker has pointed out, there are other potential snafus that could get in your way. If they occurred, you'd have no recourse and no way to insist that they get you to Atlanta, because the ticket you bought would only promise to get you to MCO.

They do not. But as Flyertalker has pointed out, there are other potential snafus that could get in your way. If they occurred, you'd have no recourse and no way to insist that they get you to Atlanta, because the ticket you bought would only promise to get you to MCO.

Thanks for the info. Diversions are a real possibility, recently, ATL had a ground stop totaling 5 hrs between two days (or may have been one day) due to severe storms. Many flights turned upside down. Thanks again:)

Dropping the leg from ATL to MCO is not a problem, as long as you don't make a habit of it, and the airline notices.

No, your bags wouldn't be a problem as you have to claim your bags at your first US stop, and go through Immigration and Customs, then re-check them to MCO. The only hitch here would be if your arrived in the US from an airport that has US pre-clearance (like Toronto, or Ireland, for example). If so, you would got through Immigrations and Customs at that foreign airport, and your bags would be checked through to MCO.

I haven't thought about this before but what happens if the luggage for some reason miss the flight? Does the passenger have to wait near the first airport and wait for the luggage or will they get their luggage at their final destination? If the luggage is delivered to the final destination, how about customs?

I haven't thought about this before but what happens if the luggage for some reason miss the flight? Does the passenger have to wait near the first airport and wait for the luggage or will they get their luggage at their final destination? If the luggage is delivered to the final destination, how about customs?

Your luggage will go on to wherever it was ticketed. BUT, you can generally ask that it be delivered to wherever ele, just accept that that may take longer.

Ex. Last year I flew round trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Africa. Returning home, my bag took a vacation in the Paris airport and was delayed about 10 days IIRC. Meanwhile, FLL is not my home airport; I had flown on a separate ticket from CHS to FLL prior to the start of the trip and home again (to CHS) the day after returning to FLL. People do this all the time.... fly to one city then immediately fly somewhere else on a different (or the same) airline, or continue by car to wherever, etc. Delta had no problem ultimately delivering my bag to CHS once it was back in the US.