Must admit -- disappointed in PG

SeaBunny

Maybe my expectations were too high -- influenced by the raves I received from fellow Regent passengers regarding PG -- but this ship experience underwhelmed us.

First, the exceptionally good: The crew was delightful. There was a friendlier, more relaxed vibe -- usually with no detriment to service quality. Plus, the "alternative" dining experience in La Veranda was truly fantastic and creative. Of course, the islands were delightful (what phenomenal views!), and it would be hard to beat the "private beach" of Motu Mahana -- what a perfect mix of sun and shade!

But it simply wasn't a comfortable ship. I'm not sure if it was the size or the configuration; but finding a place to relax out of the sun was really, really hard. Most days the best option was the 5th deck hallway. The ship swung in such an arc from its single anchor that an outdoor place would be shaded for a few minutes then in sun. And the South Pacific sun is fierce.

For staterooms awash in mirrors, none had decent lighting for makeup. The public bathrooms were no better. In fact, the only decent light/combo on the ship was in the elevators. LOL.

The PG standard of 21-23 C for AC was a bit warm for us, especially when bed covers are a duvet with no top sheet (we requested, and received, a top sheet). An engineer checked our AC and said that at 21.8, it was within their parameters. Oh, well.

The food was uneven. The bar service at La Palette was practically nonexistent. The flies in the 8th deck dining venue were aggressive.

Not that we didn't have a good time. We did. We've traveled enough to roll with whatever -- even the power going out for some time one night, the toilets not working for awhile, and the shower needing repairs didn't get our panties in a wad. It's an old ship. Those things happen.

But I would not recommend the PG to others without some caveats. Though, as I mentioned, my expectations may have been set too high.

Edited by SeaBunny
typos

Well, hopefully some of those downers will be repaired or changed with their up coming dry dock starting in May.

I agree that the 8th deck needs more sun shade. It's been improved somewhat over the years but still could be better. Maybe they should make portable shade that can be lowered and moved when the ship moves or the winds are too strong.

How was the entertainment? We try to make every show and enjoy chatting with the Gauguines. Did you take advantage of the lectures?

When were you in La Palette? That bar is not always open like the bar by the pool. I hope you let the ship's management know about the shower. I'm surprised about the a/c since I have had to put on a bathrobe while in bed to stay warm.

Again, the ship and its charms are not for everyone. It's an old ship and certainly doesn't have all the newer bells and whistles some come to expect.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more detail

Well, hopefully some of those downers will be repaired or changed with their up coming dry dock starting in May.

I agree that the 8th deck needs more sun shade. It's been improved somewhat over the years but still could be better. Maybe they should make portable shade that can be lowered and moved when the ship moves or the winds are too strong.

How was the entertainment? We try to make every show and enjoy chatting with the Gauguines. Did you take advantage of the lectures?

When were you in La Palette? That bar is not always open like the bar by the pool. I hope you let the ship's management know about the shower. I'm surprised about the a/c since I have had to put on a bathrobe while in bed to stay warm.

Again, the ship and its charms are not for everyone. It's an old ship and certainly doesn't have all the newer bells and whistles some come to expect.

The Gauguines were delightful. And, certainly very, very hard working; between classes, entertaining, greeting with music, etc.!

I only managed to hit part of one lecture. Wish I'd heard more as that bit was quite good. Times seemed odd for many activities -- like karaoke at around 4 PM! That's a late night activity if ever there was one. Maybe the odd activity times were due to a group on board that was having lots of its own gatherings -- some kind of self-actualization stuff.

We saw a couple of shows. After 20 or so cruises we have a "been there, done that" attitude about shows. Instead of show-watching we try to go star gazing. another PG plus -- it was easier to see the Milky Way on board this ship than any we've been on; usually ship lights are too strong (even on trans-Atlantic cruises). Enjoyed spotting the Southern Cross, etc.

La Palette would have been our first choice for pre-dinner drinks, except for a lack of drinks. LOL. We went to the piano bar, which had a good vibe even if no views. I was interested to see that the bar staff had no problem serving bevies to people in the pool. Good for them!

It was sad about the lack of shade. The breezes were so refreshing -- a little shade would have been awesome.

It's hard to compare the smaller cabins with the suites on Regent. As you said it is also an older ship.

You were unfortunately with a group that can influence the enjoyment somewhat.

Do not understand what you mean about lack of drinks in La Palette. Please do explain.

I believe some may have unrealistic expectations. This is French Polynesia, not a place where major cruises hang so it's easy to provision. Your on a small ship and though i wouldn't call her old she does lack some of the bells and whiles found on larger/newer vessels. Provisioning is very different for a year round ship in these waters. The larger/flasher ships who zip through FP are provisioned elsewhere.

Remember the charm of the PG is the crew and the incredible beauty of FP.

I've found the food to be just fine and as others have said not every bar is open all the time.

I've found the temperature fine most of the time though a few times I'd have like it a bit cooler.

Many larger vessels have tried to go year round, head to head with the PG, they've all failed. Some smaller/newer vessels are giving it a try ... some are wonderful ships but we've heard over and over what the PG has over every other ship is the wonderful/personal crew.

I would agree with another poster who commented on a large group on-board. On a smaller ship that can be an issue. Sort of like going to your spouse's class reunion .... she is having a great time but your a lost puppy as your not part of the group. A lesson to be learned, ask PG when booking if there is a large group booked for the same week.

Lastly I'd like to remind others that if you were to go on a 10 - 11 night cruise on the PG inclusive from LAX on deck 4 and then compare it to a garden bungalow at a nice FP resort, add your airfare, add your restaurant cost (at quality places), add your bar tab, add a few excursions, add the transfers/inner island airfare .... yup, it's a big price tag ... The PG delivers a great product for the price they charge, especially if you snag a promo price or other incentives.

The one thing mentioned that I totally agree is the need for more shade on the pool deck but frankly I'm there very rarely so it does not matter much but for sun worshipers I get it ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

... The bar service at La Palette was practically nonexistent. ...

Thanks for the balanced review. However, the quote about bar service in La Palette really surprised me: I've never experienced any such lapse on the PG with one exception.

That exception was many many years ago when half the ship was booked for a bunch of corporate high achievers. That was one of the worst cruises I've ever had, and poor to non-existent service everywhere was only part of the story.

But other than that one exception, the service at La Palette and everywhere else on the ship has been spectacular.

I note that SeaBunny's cruise also had a large group, but I don't know how large.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Regarding the food even in Regent days the PG was the stepsister. Part of the reason is the availability of produce in that zone. There is no question that some of the food choices in the menus are pedestrian when compared to Regent or Crystal.

I think it was Capt.Toni who said in a documentary on the PG that the real luxury is being in the relatively unspoilt islands in FP like those in the Tuamotus.

I personally believe what PG has is charm. It's the totality of the experience that makes us ignore the small cabins, the older ship and the less than gourmet food.

While perhaps not what many think about until they get there, this is hardly unusual or unexpected when dining al fresco in a tropical climate.

Actually we saw no flies in January and we were there for two weeks and Ate a few times in Le Grill.

One thing I noticed for the first time was the Bees that swarmed in Huahine. The staff told me that this happens there. Fortunately none of them decided to nest onboard and I didn't see them for the rest of the voyages other than our second Huahine visit..

While perhaps not what many think about until they get there, this is hardly unusual or unexpected when dining al fresco in a tropical climate.

Actually we saw no flies in January and we were there for two weeks and Ate a few times in Le Grill.

Interesting. Our observation came from actual experience on the PG at the same time of year.

Interesting. Our observation came from actual experience on the PG at the same time of year.

We were there from mid Jan to the end of Jan this year for two weeks.

Had lunch twice and dinner once stood Le Grill.

Did you see them around the buffet area?

When I said the food was uneven, it wasn't about what was available but how it was prepared. So not a provisioning issue, but a cooking issue. PG offered a lot of local, fresh fish. Sometimes it was good sometimes it wasn't. Believe me, I know enough not to order lobster in the South Pacific. ha ha.

And that one spectacular dinner in LaVeranda proved what they were capable of (the escargot parfait thingy with the egg tucked in it blew away everyone at our table).

As to La Palette, we could hardly flag down a waiter when it was open. Then it took a long time for drinks to appear. I think they understaffed that bar. There was no problem getting served in the piano bar, whatever it's called.

The flies were all over the buffet in LeGrill. We've gone on a lot of tropical cruises (Caribbean) and never had flies like that. But the solution was easy: eat in LaVeranda -- the food choices are the same.

The lobster actually may have been a good choice...frozen Canadian tails perfectly cooked.

I agree that the food can be uneven. Actually found this chef better than the last one but didn't appreciate him substituting canned French chestnuts for water chestnuts. I specifically asked for them as they were part of the listed ingredients. He tried to insult my intelligence!!!

I do agree about the temperature on the ship and it does look like you are a victim of too high expectations. For the money paid, we should be able to make our cabins an icebox if we want.

I have never experienced the fly issue you mention on deck 8. That's rare and I guess you were in port.

If you are concerned with shade and make up you are on the wrong ship! It's the South Pacific on a casual ship!

I find it very hard to believe what you say about service in La Palette but I wasn't there so I will leave it at that.

The food is better than the mainstream cruise lines. However I certainly understand people having different tastes.

Just my 2 cents. There are so many of us here that have taken multiple cruises on the PG and are sorry the ship didn't live up to your expectations.

This coming from one that was once on an infamous PG cruise from hell and still managed to have a fabulous time and take three more cruises after that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've said this a few times in the past and it's probably a good time to say it again. When you want a good take on a ship one thing you do is you read numerous reviews. I advise you to toss out the 10% on each side of the spectrum. The 80% in the middle is a good indicator of what to expect.

In addition you look at the returnees. Is it a high percentage? If it is that generally means the ship has done a good job. The Paul Gauguin has a very high returnee percentage.

You also look at current awards held by the ship. The Paul Gauguin is rated 4th overall as the best small cruise ship in the world. When you narrow the parameters to 'service' which is what we returnees make a big deal about the Paul Gauguin is ranked #1 in the world for small ships. AS this thread has much to do about the food the Paul Gauguin is ranked #3 in the world for small ships. The above is based on Cruisers Choice / Cruise Critic with thousands of people voting.

What ship itinerary is considered the most romantic in the world? Yup, the Paul Gauguin.

Which ship is the 'world's best small-ship cruise line'? According to the readers of Travel and Leisure it's the Paul Gauguin.

I could go on and on but I think my point has been made. The overwhelming majority of people love the Paul Gauguin.

So again, toss out the 10% on the fringes, not to discount what one's personal experience was but to try and figure out what is the 'norm' when cruising on the Paul Gauguin.

There is no point in comparing the PG to mainstream and neither is the poster doing so. The OP compared it to Regent.

From my experience the food on a Regent or Crystal is miles away from the PG. though even on Regent I have had meals prepared poorly.

Talking about temperatures I like my cabin really warm. Even the warmest setting on Crystal doesn't work for me. The first thing I do is have the engineer recalibrate the ac settings. So PG temps are just great for me! I can appreciate that the OP likes it real cold though I am the reverse.

Tahitibigkahuna all these awards and accolades are nice but meaningless ultimately what is important is ones own experience and if it was less than stellar it is good the OP said so.

I am not oblivious to the PG's faults but I am still it's biggest cheerleader because for me great food can be eaten at more than a few restaurants but the warmth of its staff is irreplaceable. To be fair at one time Regent ship's staff had a similar warmth but with Oceanization of that company I don't feel the love any more.

• 1 month later...
When I said the food was uneven, it wasn't about what was available but how it was prepared. So not a provisioning issue, but a cooking issue. PG offered a lot of local, fresh fish. Sometimes it was good sometimes it wasn't. Believe me, I know enough not to order lobster in the South Pacific. ha ha.

And that one spectacular dinner in LaVeranda proved what they were capable of (the escargot parfait thingy with the egg tucked in it blew away everyone at our table).

As to La Palette, we could hardly flag down a waiter when it was open. Then it took a long time for drinks to appear. I think they understaffed that bar. There was no problem getting served in the piano bar, whatever it's called.

The flies were all over the buffet in LeGrill. We've gone on a lot of tropical cruises (Caribbean) and never had flies like that. But the solution was easy: eat in LaVeranda -- the food choices are the same.

I tend to agree with your assessment. Went two years ago and I have unusual food allergies. As someone who cooked professionally for 15 years, I figured it would be no problem to get my meals "a la minute" when there are less than 350 passengers onboard. I was able to do it on the Diamond Princess in Australia! But, NO! I had to pre-order my dinner for the next night before leaving the MDR. HATED THAT!!! Who KNOWS what they will want for dinner when they've just finished dinner? LOL And many times I would be a little tipsy, and wonder what I had ordered the night before, and WHY.

This time around I'll just have things with no sauce, or the fresh fish. Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard to grill some fish for me, right??? I find there was far too much lime, ginger, strawberries, and melons in all the meals. YES, those are my allergies. :( And I would find out lime or ginger were in things that should NEVER have those ingredients. Like, who puts ginger in Ranch dressing??? I know it's good for settling the stomach, but let's not put it in EVERYTHING, okay? And if you get sea sick on the Gauguin, you are far too easily sickened IMHO.

Rant over. :)

...There are so many of us here that have taken multiple cruises on the PG and are sorry the ship didn't live up to your expectations.

This coming from one that was once on an infamous PG cruise from hell and still managed to have a fabulous time and take three more cruises after that one.

Me too! Ours was a b2b during the phase when Radisson and Grand Circle were fighting over food budget. And yes, we've been back twice since then, and will be back again this fall.

And yes, I'm sorry you were disappointed. Not going to make excuses. It is what it is. We love it. I am officially "over" gourmet food--don't need it. I want something fresh and wholesome, preferably from the sea on that ship, and I usually get excellent fish, so I'm happy.

Me too! Ours was a b2b during the phase when Radisson and Grand Circle were fighting over food budget. And yes, we've been back twice since then, and will be back again this fall.

And yes, I'm sorry you were disappointed. Not going to make excuses. It is what it is. We love it. I am officially "over" gourmet food--don't need it. I want something fresh and wholesome, preferably from the sea on that ship, and I usually get excellent fish, so I'm happy.

I too was on one of those low budget cruises was our third with a few more after that. I remember i had just OK food once on the Navigator but great on the Mariner and Explorer so regardless of the ship and company cruise food is uneven at best.

Hear the new chef Stephane has great food. Will comment after July.

I too was on one of those low budget cruises was our third with a few more after that. I remember i had just OK food once on the Navigator but great on the Mariner and Explorer so regardless of the ship and company cruise food is uneven at best.

Hear the new chef Stephan has great food. Will comment after July.

On the July 26th cruise Chef Vigato will personally prepare gourmet dishes for some guests. I believe this will take place in La Veranda. Who will be blessed with his creations ... ???

I assume as Chef Vigato will be on-board that Chef Stephan will take on the challenge and the food should be exceptional :)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I've had mediocre food on RSSC Voyager a few times. And Navigator. And even in Prime 7 on Mariner. It's a bit of a crapshoot, no matter whether the line calls itself luxury or premium.

It seems to me that it may also come down to actual experience versus expectations. This happens a lot to me with movies. I hear such amazing reviews that my expectations are high and then the movie often does not deliver on those expectations. We have been on PG three times and cannot wait to go back. Is the ship the most glamorous on the seven seas (sort of a pun given that they used to operate the ship)? Absolutely not. We were fortunate to travel with good friends who had been aboard twice before (and they have been on all three that we have been on, too). They gave us an honest review and so we were prepared. We also prefer smaller ships, relaxed dress code, and a high level of service. In our option, PG scores very high on these areas. The people, culture, and scenery of French Polynesia is exactly what we love, but I can get that it may not be all that to everyone. All said, appreciate the review and hope that your next cruise is better. For me, I hope be sitting on deck 8 of the PG sooner than later.