Grand Suite Explorer - Deck 12 ??

Hambagahle

We are considering a Grand Suite on deck 12 on the Explorer for a Panama canal cruise... if anyone has been in this suite what are the pros and cons? For example: can you use the terrace during sea days or is there too much wind??

We were in Grand Suite 1200 for a crossing in November. Nice suite (not as nice as the Vista Suite as the Riviera) and has a lovely balcony. While we were not able to utilize the huge balcony on our cruise due to wind, I can see no reason why you and perhaps 20+ of your friends could not be on the balcony while transiting the Panama Canal.

We did have a noise issue in that suite which is suppose to have been fixed (noise from the Constellation Theater below). Also, the dining room table doesn't really fit the size of the suite (minor issue unless you want to have 4 people at the table for dinner).

P.S. While 20+ people could be entertained on the balcony, we had difficulty entertaining 8 people inside of the suite due to the furniture layout and suite size.

Thanks Jackie!

You have answered my question... i think this suite (1201) will be perfect for the "transit" through the canal. And I am not planning on entertaining. So no worries

Just curious when you will be doing your Canal cruise? We did the LA-MIA cruise on the Explorer in January and enjoyed the ship enough to book 1201 for about three weeks early next year. We don't entertain either, but the itinerary is port-intensive and we should have a front row seat for arrivals and departures with the large deck.

The Grand Suite was PERFECT going through the Canal. Do NOT invite anyone in, and in the living room, the sofa is so uncomfortable, you can't sit there long, the springs just kill you. We spent a lot of time in the bedroom watching TV. The chairs in the living room are so not practical.

Let us know what you think.

Whenever there was an activity in the Observation Lounge we could clearly hear it (music at night, trivia in the afternoon, etc.). I don't know how it lasted because we weren't always in our suite for when the noise started. Trivia seemed to end at 5:00 p.m. but, again, we left for cocktails and dinner before 6:00 p.m. and there was likely music starting at 6:00 p.m. Also, kitty-corner to our door was the door to the laundry room that slammed but obviously only during the day.

More insulation was already onboard ready to go into suites where noise was an issue. Is all of the sound gone? You'll have to either wait and find out or maybe someone in 1200 or 1201 can answer the question (not sure if people in 1201 could hear the Observation Lounge or not but it is likely that they could).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again Jackie, Carolldoll and Silversweethearts - I am very very pleased with my decision to book the Grand Suite. (Our Panama canal cruise is March 2019 BTW). Last PC cruise we did we had a PH on Deck 11 on the Mariner and spent a lot of time outside during the transit. Hopefully we can do the same this time. And also hopefully the noise issue will have been resolved. Though the Trivia part of it won't bother us as we will be playing!

Gerry

Thank you again Jackie, Carolldoll and Silversweethearts - I am very very pleased with my decision to book the Grand Suite. (Our Panama canal cruise is March 2019 BTW). Last PC cruise we did we had a PH on Deck 11 on the Mariner and spent a lot of time outside during the transit. Hopefully we can do the same this time. And also hopefully the noise issue will have been resolved. Though the Trivia part of it won't bother us as we will be playing!

Gerry

Gerry - loved our trivia together. Nice to see you are doing well

Lovely to see you on the boards too Tina. Hope all is well with you and that we might meet up again on a future cruise!! My e mail (which I think you have) hasn't changed... let me know your cruise plans. Hope your mother is doing well too!!

Gerry