Hotel Recommendations

cruiser man

We will be cruising on the Celebrity Millenium in Feb. 2018 but will be spending time prior to the cruise in Singapore and afterwards in Hong Kong. We arrive in Singapore at 1 AM so thought that we should possibly book a hotel near the airport for the first night and then move after that. We are hoping that we could get recommendations on hotels in Singapore and Hong Kong that are well located/nice places. Your help is appreciated.

Steve

We will be cruising on the Celebrity Millenium in Feb. 2018 but will be spending time prior to the cruise in Singapore and afterwards in Hong Kong. We arrive in Singapore at 1 AM so thought that we should possibly book a hotel near the airport for the first night and then move after that. We are hoping that we could get recommendations on hotels in Singapore and Hong Kong that are well located/nice places. Your help is appreciated.

Steve

Absolutely not necessary to limit your first night (morning) in Singapore to near the airport.

We arrived at 2:30am and easily and quickly took a taxi to The Royal Plaza on Scott's Road. We loved this hotel and especially the convenient location.

Do book the hotel for the day before and let them know you will be an early morning next day arrival....well worth it to assure your room is ready at that early hour.

Even though you didn't ask...be sure to go to (via the MRT or taxi...easy to do) Lau Pa Sat (google this to see what not to miss) at approx. 6:00pm in the evening for the best street food (SATAY) ever !!! We actually went 2 nights it was so amazing !

Enjoy Singapore "It's A Fine City" ;)

I know it sounds strange but the Salisbury YMCA is a great place to stay in Hong Kong. It is above the YMCA and has great rooms overlooking the harbour and light show. It is also close to ferry terminal and HOHO buses.

Agree with all about Singapore as last time in 2015 we came in at midnight and this Dec the same. We stay at Ritz Millenium as it is a great location with beautiful view. This year they have a deal right now for airport return and as we were departing on cruise we asked if instead they could do pick up, they said yes.

We paid for this last time and it was great, the driver was waiting for us and checked us in from the car so when arriving at hotel all was done.

In Hong Kong most years we stay in Kowloon and stay at the Hyatt great price . This year as we are not on business we are trying the Shangri la.

We've stayed at the Fairmont in Singapore. Excellent hotel - over the road from Raffles and there is a metro in the Shopping Mall underneath. We've just booked to go back next January. We upgraded on arrival to an executive room which was amazing.

In Hong Kong we stayed at the Harbour Grand Kowloon. Fabulous hotel, again in an executive suite. The situation is a bit further from activities but the hotel runs a frequent shuttle to the Star Ferry area and taxis are very cheap.

We found a wonderful hotel in Singapore that was very reasonably priced. It is a 4.5 star hotel in my opinion in a great location. It is the Royal Plaza on Scotts. We spent about $175 per night. There are many restaurants nearby with a lot of variety and inexpensive.

It is near the public transportation, but taxis are so cheap, we used taxis a lot. Don't stay at the airport, it is not far into the city.

• 5 months later...
I am trying to decide between Salisbury YMCA Hotel or Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Kowloon. I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thank You

If you are planning on using the Airport Express shuttles, Holiday Inn Golden Mile maybe a little more convenient with a pick-up/drop-off right there. It's a bigger and busier hotel on Nathan Road.

YMCA Salisbury maybe quieter, smaller but nearer to Star Ferry.

I am trying to decide between Salisbury YMCA Hotel or Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Kowloon. I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thank You

There's not a lot to choose between them on location - but the Salisbury is just yards away from the Star cross-harbour ferry terminal. The ferry is the way to cross, I could go backwards & forwards all day.

Salisbury also offers harbour-view rooms - they're from the 11th (?) floor upwards due to the space museum opposite.

Salisbury is probably best value-for-money in HK.

JB :)

Thank you very much for your response. It appears that I coukd get a good rate at the Salisbury without breakfast, but it jumps to $40. More per night per person if I include breakfast. Can anyone tell me what the charge at the Salisbury is for the buffet breakfast if we should wait till we get there?

Thank You

... appears that I coukd get a good rate at the Salisbury without breakfast, but it jumps to $40. More per night per person if I include breakfast ...
Can't help you with the current charges at the Y for breakfast - is that USD $40 p/p or for 2 - as you can probably walk a block over next door to the "Pen" at that price.

Part of HK's attraction is that there's so much to do in so little time and in such close proximity that it's never enough. There's a dozen+ hotels with coffee shop for casual "western" breakfast and/or full breakfast nearby ... all within a 10 minutes walking distance, both in variety & prices.

I would probably walk across toward the harbor to the IC and do a cook-to-order breakfast inside its giant ceiling-to-floor lobby cafe, although it's been years since (better know as "The Regents" then) ... a great place for high afternoon tea.)

For price comparison, the business class Kowloon Hotel, known for its small rooms go back to the 1980's (had stayed there too, unknowingly) - AYCE buffet breakfast is less than $20 USD p/p with a 10% service charge added (no further tipping needed or expected) - short 2 to 3 blocks away.

http://www.harbour-plaza.com/kowloon/Dining-The-Window-Caf%C3%A9-en.htm

Or, for something different - I recommend a dim sum breakfast at the nearby Serenade Chinese on the waterfront, between the HK Cultural Centre & HK Space Musuem ... across busy Salisbury Road & check out the Railway Clock Tower and 1881 Heritage.

For a frugal meal - breakfast, lunch or supper, HK style - skip over the local McD's or Starbucks, look for the nearest Cafe de Coral, they are often upstairs or in the lower level (basement) & inside shopping malls - absolutely a best buy, as you can have eggs, toast, coffee & juice for just a few USD ... at 3 Salisbury Road (B7-B27) downstairs - all these places accept credit cards and the Octopus card for payment.

Thank you very much for your response. It appears that I coukd get a good rate at the Salisbury without breakfast, but it jumps to $40. More per night per person if I include breakfast. Can anyone tell me what the charge at the Salisbury is for the buffet breakfast if we should wait till we get there?

Thank You

looks like the charge is HK$185 or about US$25 for the buffet in the dinning room

http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/thesalisbury/en/restaurants/salisbury_dining_room/index.html

Check yelp for alternatives in the area for breakfast

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Breakfast+%26+Brunch&find_loc=Tsim+Sha+Tsui+Hong+Kong&ns=1