Inconsistency in cruise deposits.

Noticed recently a major cruise travel company advertising a large number of Princess Cruises for 2018 with booking secured for a $1 deposit. Am I missing something here, probably in "conditions apply". Princess requires a 20% deposit when booking direct with them!!

They probably have a block booking with the cruise line. They may also have a cancellation fee if you decide to pull out after booking. In order to ensure they get the cancellation fee (if any) they can take an imprint of your credit card when the booking is made

The $1 deposit normally works that you have to pay the remaining deposit by a certain time (normally 190 days out). We have booked several cruises through this Travel company using reduced deposits and never had an issue and we have not had to leave an imprint of our credit card to secure our booking.

Yep, some people can make it work for them, others can't take the risk.

Yep and it's turned into a real risk next payment in a couple of weeks. But have a five day job the week of the cruise.

Now I have to decide if I risk it.

You pay the $1 deposit to the travel company, the travel company still pays the full deposit to the cruiseline. You have to pay the remainder of the deposit 190 days or so out from sailing, so if you disappear the travel company can get their money back. Effectively they are out of pocket until you pay the rest of the deposit. There is no risk for us booking this way unless we decide not to go on the cruise and we lose the $1. The rest of the rules are all the same as far as deposit / cancellation fees. It's a pretty good deal

Yep and it's turned into a real risk next payment in a couple of weeks. But have a five day job the week of the cruise.

Now I have to decide if I risk it.

That is a hard decision, if I didn't have the leave, I would have to drop the cruise but I would be trying my best to get that leave approved.

These low deposit offers are somewhat a gimmick in my view - you still have to trump up the full fare at some point, and the TA will have conditions that may or may not suit, including an earlier date for final payment and their own cancellation fees, separate to the cruiselines fees. You will likely be subject to 'group booking' restrictions also in regards to modifying your booking or seeking a price drop match.

I see that some are thinking you only lose your $1 if you don't proceed. No personal experience but a do recall a sad tale I guess it was on FB, where some smarty didn't cancel by the nominated date - "they can keep my dollar" they thought, only to be charged the cancellation fee against their cc - they were screaming like a stuck pig. Don't know if that really happened, but food for thought I guess.

These low deposit offers are somewhat a gimmick in my view - you still have to trump up the full fare at some point, and the TA will have conditions that may or may not suit, including an earlier date for final payment and their own cancellation fees, separate to the cruiselines fees. You will likely be subject to 'group booking' restrictions also in regards to modifying your booking or seeking a price drop match.

I see that some are thinking you only lose your $1 if you don't proceed. No personal experience but a do recall a sad tale I guess it was on FB, where some smarty didn't cancel by the nominated date - "they can keep my dollar" they thought, only to be charged the cancellation fee against their cc - they were screaming like a stuck pig. Don't know if that really happened, but food for thought I guess.

I remember that too, we had a cruise to PNG booked for this year on the $1 deposits last year and cancelled fairly early when our friends wouldn't be able to make it anymore. It cost us the $2 but in the T&Cs if you let it ride up to a certain date, you either pay the remaining or pay a cancellation fee of $110 per person.

Many who complain after the event when the T & C's are enforced , when followed up are found not to have read the T & C's at all. As has already been mentioned many TA's especially on line TA's who offer cut price deals and extra OBC for booking with them often have some draconian cancellation provisions if one pulls out. Those who proceed however can get a good deal but at the end of the day irrespective of any upfront costs the piper has to be paid. If a deal looks too good to be true it generally is. If I was taking up a "good" with some severe back end penalties I would make sure that I had my travel insurances in place at the time of entering into the deal such that in event of some unforeseen event downstream where I had to cancel my travel insurance would kick in with a refund.

I am surprised at the number of cruises with large unrefundable cruise deposits.

I make mental deposits on cruises I am interested in, then pay in full after final payment. Helps to have plan a, b and c, if necessary. I don't see any advantage to me in paying deposits a long time in advance.

I am surprised at the number of cruises with large unrefundable cruise deposits.

I make mental deposits on cruises I am interested in, then pay in full after final payment. Helps to have plan a, b and c, if necessary. I don't see any advantage to me in paying deposits a long time in advance.

I see a huge advantage. Two actually

1. For us location of our cabin is crucial

2. Time off work can be very hard to secure, for me, my diary often has work in it nearly two years down the track, for her as teacher it's either school holidays, or Long Service Leave, that needs approval months in advance.

That is a problem Gut...if you want a cabin in a specific part of the ship or are time restricted they can hold a huge deposit, in the 1000's, for nearly 2 years. If you are not that concerned where you park yourself or are lucky enough to be able to "pack and go" refer to the old adage book a flight early and a cruise late.

I see a huge advantage. Two actually

1. For us location of our cabin is crucial

2. Time off work can be very hard to secure, for me, my diary often has work in it nearly two years down the track, for her as teacher it's either school holidays, or Long Service Leave, that needs approval months in advance.

I understand, as I organised a cruise with a friend once who must cruise in a middle cabin, low down, as she suffers extreme sea sickness. Me, I can cruise anywhere.

To travel like I do, you must be adaptable. I travelled with a family of four, and when we worked, we had holidays approved and planned a variety of travel possibilities, within the dates. I am now retired, but still plan the same way. This is the only way, I can afford to travel as much as I do.

That is a problem Gut...if you want a cabin in a specific part of the ship or are time restricted they can hold a huge deposit, in the 1000's, for nearly 2 years. If you are not that concerned where you park yourself or are lucky enough to be able to "pack and go" refer to the old adage book a flight early and a cruise late.

I hadn't heard that old adage, but that is exactly what I do, with regard to flights. We once got a late booking suite on Celebrity Century on a NZ cruise, for less than an inside cabin, which we had originally considered.

Many who complain after the event when the T & C's are enforced , when followed up are found not to have read the T & C's at all. As has already been mentioned many TA's especially on line TA's who offer cut price deals and extra OBC for booking with them often have some draconian cancellation provisions if one pulls out. Those who proceed however can get a good deal but at the end of the day irrespective of any upfront costs the piper has to be paid. If a deal looks too good to be true it generally is. If I was taking up a "good" with some severe back end penalties I would make sure that I had my travel insurances in place at the time of entering into the deal such that in event of some unforeseen event downstream where I had to cancel my travel insurance would kick in with a refund.

Insurance can sometimes wriggle out and exclude deposits as it will only deal with full amounts

I dabble in both worlds now, booking in early for some and picking up late ones as well.

Insurance can sometimes wriggle out and exclude deposits as it will only deal with full amounts

One needs to get insurance that meets one's needs. All quality companies publish their policies, costs, Term and Conditions on line so there is no logical excuse for no getting what meets ones needs. However if one wants to go the "cheap" route one should anticipate issues down stream. Travel insurance should not be based on price but on level of service. After spending thousands of dollars on a major holiday is it worth trying to skimp a few dollars on an insurance policy which may save you tens of thousands of dollars in downstream costs

One needs to get insurance that meets one's needs. All quality companies publish their policies, costs, Term and Conditions on line so there is no logical excuse for no getting what meets ones needs. However if one wants to go the "cheap" route one should anticipate issues down stream. Travel insurance should not be based on price but on level of service. After spending thousands of dollars on a major holiday is it worth trying to skimp a few dollars on an insurance policy which may save you tens of thousands of dollars in downstream costs

So many people don't bother to read the Ts&Cs, not just on their insurance, but even on their booking.

I agree with you but it really depends on the reason for cancellation.

Insurance companies do not pay up just because someone doesn't want to go anymore.