Sea sickness medication

We use Sturgeon (not available in U.S. but likely is in Hong Kong). Most seasick medications make you sleepy. We try to avoid that by taking 1/4 of a pill if the seas seem to be a bit rocky (or if the Captain announces that the seas will be rough). Usually that is enough. We are not sleepy and can handle the seas. There are also electronic bands available that my husband uses (worn on the wrist) that are very effective and do not involve drugs.

Usually when we sail in the Med. the seas are so calm that no medications are necessary.

Have a great cruise and please report back when you return!

I get terribly seasick, but no more. I always get a prescription from my doctor for http://transdermscop.com/about-transderm-scop.htm and never get seasick now. You put it behind your ear and it looks like a small band-aid. One lasts for 3 days so I get the correct quantity for the number of days I will be on the cruise. It has enabled me to cruise, go in helicopters, float planes, and small boats which all used to make me very, very sick. I have heard that some have side-effects but I have never had any. I can't cruise without it but it has enabled me to cruise now so it solved my problem. I previously tried various over the counter medications and the wrist bands but nothing worked until this.

I do get side effects from the patch (the least of which is my eye dilates - the one on the side that I wear the patch) and makes me look really strange. Must admit that they work well - I just can't tolerate the side effects.

There is also a long term shot you can get to prevent sea sickness. A friend got one on a crossing, and it completely eliminated any form of sea sickness. Not drowsy either!

Dan, I tried to do research on the shot but was unable to find any reference. Do you know the name of the medication they are injecting?

Also, the "Reliefband for Motion & Morning Sickness"* has been around for a long time and is effective. It is electronic and is available many places including Amazon.com. The cost is close to $100. This bears no resemblance to the cheap wrist bands that may or may not be effective.

This product does require connectivity gel as well as extra batteries - also available at Amazon.

Note: Anyone with a nickel allergy may break out from the band. Although super effective, I am unable to wear it but do carry one in case of emergency.

I use meclizine (Bonine or Bonamine) when I need it, but it's no longer available here in Canada so who knows where it's available other than the States. It does not cause drowziness, although sometimes my dreams seem a bit vivid. I always stock up with I'm in the U.S.

Never worked for me unfortunately.

:(

My DH and I both get seasick, but it impacts him so much more than me. (Once on small boat in Hawaii, I got really scared as he was sicker than I had ever seen him.)

We have tried Bonine with a small positive effect for me and no effect on him.

On our Regent cruise last summer we tried the patch and it worked! I had a really dry mouth and most definitely was more tired after drinking which on Regent is hard to avoid, but other than that, it worked great.

Be advised though, my DH who is in th medical device field was adamant about taking the patch off right after we disembarked as he is against medication when not needed. He suffered severely as he did not have his land legs back, I experienced some "rocking" on land but I recovered much more quickly,. My advice is if you have a severe sea sickness proclivity keep the patch on the first day back on land.

Have a great trip!

Lynn

And, based on over a year on cruise ships, I still recommend non-medication remedies (or taking 1/4 of Bonine or . The side effects of the Transderm-Scop transdermal patch can ruin a cruise (obviously, results may vary). Why would anyone want to risk these side effects? I still recommend either the electronic bracelet or 1/4 of a Stugeron or Bonine pill. Obviously, the injection recommended by Host Dan would be the best solution. Transderm-Scop transdermal : Uses, Side Effects ...

www.webmd.com

.ipContainer .b_imagePair.reverse:after{content:'.'}

• Blurred vision and widened pupils may occur as your body adjusts to the medication. Dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased sweating, constipation, and mild itching/redness on application site may also occur. If any of these effects persist ...

Lucky for us we haven't had that problem of getting sick. But just in case we have are doctor write an RX. Once on the ship a friend of ours got sea sick, when to the Medical Center on the ship and got the shot---worked in 20 mins and was good for the rest of the cruise.

Lucky for us we haven't had that problem of getting sick. But just in case we have are doctor write an RX. Once on the ship a friend of ours got sea sick, when to the Medical Center on the ship and got the shot---worked in 20 mins and was good for the rest of the cruise.

Rick - this is very good information. My only concern is the cost of having a ship's doctor give the shot. Do you have any idea how much it cost?

i would think having full on sea sickness would ruin a cruise more. My DH has tried everything recommended (literally all of the methods. a 1/4 pill of Bonine would surely do no better than a full pill did (which was nothing). Bands. electric band, ginger, nothing worked.

The patch worked - with no side effects for him and mild (dry mouth) for me.

People take recommendations, but try them out in advance!

i would think having full on sea sickness would ruin a cruise more. My DH has tried everything recommended (literally all of the methods. a 1/4 pill of Bonine would surely do no better than a full pill did (which was nothing). Bands. electric band, ginger, nothing worked.

The patch worked - with no side effects for him and mild (dry mouth) for me.

People take recommendations, but try them out in advance!

Agree but the "patch" is a prescription remedy and is not for everyone. IMO, people should check with their physician before getting the "patch" (which, by the way, is available online outside of the U.S.). For some people, taking a pill (or part of a pill) that could make you sleepy is better than trying a prescription medication that may give severe side effects (as it did for both me and my DH). Better to be safe than sorry!!!

P.S. Assume that you tried taking 1/4 of a Sturgeon (or Bonine) and when it did not work, you upped the dose to a full pill. My recommendation is a starting point ...... not a tried and true cure. On the other hand, the injection sounds like a cure - without side effects. And, secondarily, the electronic wrist band has worked for many people and obviously has no side effects.

Host Dan, yes the shot is very effective and causes no drowsiness. Check with your physician. The wrist bands are laughable as they have no medical proof they really work. Maybe psychologically they will.

Miles

We also would appreciate it if you would post the name of the medication in the shot. Mahalo!

Valoid injection (cyclizine)

Valoid injection contains the active ingredient cyclizine, which is a type of medicine called an antihistamine. It is mainly used to prevent and treat nausea and vomiting following surgery or radiotherapy, or associated with middle ear disorders. Cyclizine injection is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.

This might be it.

I'm prone to seasickness but I like my wine and G&T on cruises, which doesn't play nice with most seasickness medications. I take two ginger tablets three times a day starting the day before I sail, and eat candied ginger throughout the day while onboard and it works like a charm. I haven't been seasick since starting this method.

Rick - this is very good information. My only concern is the cost of having a ship's doctor give the shot. Do you have any idea how much it cost?

I believe it was $89 USD