Breakfast on the Fantasy

dixielandings

The options I know of are Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and room service. Am I missing any? And I'd like to know from you veterans what your preferences are. Have I seen people talking about a Character breakfast? What's the deal with that?

Thanks!

We always ate in cabanas. It's quick and easy to go through the line and get a nice hot breakfast. There's plenty of seating. MDR is pretty much the same food but slower because of the wait. Never used room service as we preferred the open air to the small cabin.

There is a character breakfast on the Magic on some cruises, currently featuring Disney, Jr. characters. This event requires a free ticket which can be reserved on line when you do your on board check in. You can typically obtain them on board as well. It isn't a hugely popular event any more. I've never seen it on the Fantasy--probably because the dining room is very crowded with tables too close together for the characters to have room to move.

We prefer the MDR breakfasts simply because I like to sit down and have beverages served. On the Magic and Wonder, it is a table service from a menu. While we've cruised the Fantasy, that was a while ago and I honestly can't remember whether it was a buffet or menu service. There are more options in Cabanas, but I certainly never went hungry!

Room service breakfast is "just ok." When we've wanted to eat on the balcony, I've made a run to Cabanas for the food and returned with it to the balcony!

We always ate in cabanas. It's quick and easy to go through the line and get a nice hot breakfast. There's plenty of seating. MDR is pretty much the same food but slower because of the wait. Never used room service as we preferred the open air to the small cabin.

Not sure if Triton's had breakfast on the last Wonder trip (never bothered to find out!), but Cabana's is just about psychologically the best way to get ready for the day, esp. before a port excursion.

Room service is okay if you've got a big enough view/balcony room and toddlers that are too much effort to clean up after in the restaurants and want to get ready quickly in the morning...But if you've got a teen or elementary crowd that's ready and can clean up after themselves, Cabana's beachside setting, the bright sunlit primary colors, the open indoor or outdoor view of the water/port, and being able to eat a big or small, heavy or light, buffet breakfast at your own pace without waiting for servers puts you into the mood to "get out there and have adventures" immediately, even if you've never been on a boat or island before.

Sort of like back in the college campuses, when getting a quick communal breakfast with other fellow half-prepared strangers on the exact same big schedule made you feel ready to get to class...

Been through it once, you'll see what I mean. :D

Sort of like back in the college campuses, when getting a quick communal breakfast with other fellow half-prepared strangers on the exact same big schedule made you feel ready to get to class...

Been through it once, you'll see what I mean. :D

This made me LOL!

Thanks for all the great info! When you board, where do you go to get those Character breakfast tickets? My DD is beside herself at the possibility of Disney JR characters. Ironic, since the only other time we did a Disney JR (at WDW) she FREAKED when they came to the table. Huge heads!! I guess she's gotten over that! :)

Thanks for all the great info! When you board, where do you go to get those Character breakfast tickets? My DD is beside herself at the possibility of Disney JR characters. Ironic, since the only other time we did a Disney JR (at WDW) she FREAKED when they came to the table. Huge heads!! I guess she's gotten over that! :)

Like the breakfasts at the parks, you'd probably want to reserve that online through your trip profile on the Disney Cruise website, about as soon as you can log in, ie. about six weeks ahead.

Events, esp. character events, sell out quickly with other online cruisers, and there's very little chance of getting anything except on standby if you go to GS on day one.

(And you can usually keep trying up to trip date, although not sure whether that's as true for cruises at it is for the parks.)

Like the breakfasts at the parks, you'd probably want to reserve that online through your trip profile on the Disney Cruise website, about as soon as you can log in, ie. about six weeks ahead.

Events, esp. character events, sell out quickly with other online cruisers, and there's very little chance of getting anything except on standby if you go to GS on day one.

(And you can usually keep trying up to trip date, although not sure whether that's as true for cruises at it is for the parks.)

You can check in on line based on your castaway club status. If this is your first cruise on DCL, that is 75 days before embarkation. Cruises 2-5 it is 90 days. 6-10, 105 days. 11 or more OR a concierge booking is at 120 days. So please do not wait until 6 weeks before your cruise. The tickets will be with the special character meet and greets under "onboard activities." They are not always offered in advance--if you can't find them, go to GS as soon as you board, but call DCL at your booking window to be sure they aren't "hiding" somewhere!

Well, it's about 5 weeks out right now. Hope it works out. I just went to DCL's website as soon as I read your most recent responses and am having trouble getting anything but the home page to load. I wish this were unusual! Disney's web presence is surprisingly problematic...:rolleyes:

Well, it's about 5 weeks out right now. Hope it works out. I just went to DCL's website as soon as I read your most recent responses and am having trouble getting anything but the home page to load. I wish this were unusual! Disney's web presence is surprisingly problematic...:rolleyes:

There should be a "My Disney Cruise" pull-down menu at the top from which you can choose "My Cruise Activities", after signing in your trip reservation.

Assuming it's let you log in under My Reservations, of course.

Call DCL. THey have a prompt for web site difficulties. The person who answers at that prompt will either talk you thru it or make the reservations for you.

I did call. Here's what I found out: Cody at DCL's Castaway Club member number told me that those reservations cannot be made over the phone; they can only be made ahead of time or on embarkation day at the PORT ADVENTURES DESK. He looked at his call screen and saw that the wait time to speak to the Web Team was quite backed up at the moment. I told him I could understand that! :o

Then DH suggested I try a different browser, which I did and I got through. We got a reservation for Day 3 at 10:00. Whew...:D

Many things seem to be moving from GS to Port Adventures...perhaps to spread out the number of people working on things. This is particularly true on the Dream and Fantasy where internet issues are handled at GS as there is no internet cafe on those vessels.....

The bottom line is to always check the Welcome Aboard Navigator for the locations of various things on your ship. Things like "Dining Changes" also move around sometimes. I've never figured out why, but we've had it in multiple locations on the same ship.

Many things seem to be moving from GS to Port Adventures...perhaps to spread out the number of people working on things. This is particularly true on the Dream and Fantasy where internet issues are handled at GS as there is no internet cafe on those vessels.....

The bottom line is to always check the Welcome Aboard Navigator for the locations of various things on your ship. Things like "Dining Changes" also move around sometimes. I've never figured out why' date=' but we've had it in multiple locations on the same ship.[/quote']

Yes he said that they're trying to take some pressure off of GS, so that everything is not happening at that one location.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a June 3rd sailing. There was always a dining room that served. Limited menu and even though the service was good it took all most an hour in all. We were very impressed with the variety of the buffet. Top Notch! Only negative to cabanas is it's hard to find tables for large families :(

• 2 weeks later...
Breakfast on the Fantasy is not served in the Enchanted Garden. It has been served in the Royal Court from 8:30 - 10:00 for years. Cabanas is open for full breakfast 7:30- 11:30.

Not entirely correct. We just got off the Fantasy and breakfast was served in Enchanted Garden several days (though not every day). Enchanted Garden offered a combination of table service with buffet that had fewer options. We only ate here once as we ended up preferring the larger buffet spread of Cabanas.

My bad, It looks like they are using the Enchanted Garden now once during a 7 day Caribbean cruise, but the Royal Court is still open too. I should have stated most of the time and the breakfast times do shift daily according to Port of call schedules. Always check your Navigators for the most accurate information.

I should have stated most of the time and the breakfast times do shift daily according to Port of call schedules. Always check your Navigators for the most accurate information.

This is the key. You'll never go hungry as there are always places with food available, but what is open and the hours they are serving which meal will vary. Your dinner server will help to make you aware of the schedule for the next day, but ALL the info will be available in the Navigator.

If your daughter likes Disney Jr characters, make sure she checks out "wake up with Disney jr". It's an early morning dance party with all the songs from the shows. There's also a character that comes in and dances with them. Usually Pluto from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your daughter likes Disney Jr characters, make sure she checks out "wake up with Disney jr". It's an early morning dance party with all the songs from the shows. There's also a character that comes in and dances with them. Usually Pluto from my experience.

Did you post this on the wrong thread? I already mentioned this on the "what is there to do with a 2 year old" thread. not sure how this relates to breakfast options.....

Did you post this on the wrong thread? I already mentioned this on the "what is there to do with a 2 year old" thread. not sure how this relates to breakfast options.....

No. Dixielandings mentioned how her daughter freaked out excitedly at the thought of having breakfast with the Disney Jr characters. I was just mentioning if she likes that' date=' to also check out the dance party. It seems to be the only two things that cater to that younger crowd. She's gonna love it! :) (I forgot to quote her statement)

No. Dixielandings mentioned how her daughter freaked out excitedly at the thought of having breakfast with the Disney Jr characters. I was just mentioning if she likes that, to also check out the dance party. It seems to be the only two things that cater to that younger crowd. She's gonna love it! :) (I forgot to quote her statement)

Got it...sorry.