Power chairs and verandahs

angelbearmom

I think I read somewhere, maybe here about power chairs being too heavy to go on verandahs. From other cruises I believe access out to the verandah might be a problem. Can anyone confirm or deny this info-power chairs too heavy?

Since the balconies are structural to the ship, I've never seen a weight limitation, or a number of persons capacity. A typical power chair weighs not much more than the average American, so I don't see any reason that the weight would be an issue. I don't recall whether accessible balcony cabins have a ramp at the balcony door, and it may get a little crowded out there with the chair, and difficult to maneuver.

chengpk is our resident engineer, so you won't get any better info. ;)

We cruised on Royal with a balcony. I don't need a scooter or wheelchair for short distances, so I walked around our HC room, including onto the balcony, so I can't say anything about the combined weight. I can say the floor of the balcony did not feel any flimsier or less solid than the floor of the room. There was also a ramp (kind of like a little hump) from inside the room onto the balcony. I pushed my wheelchair onto the balcony to sit in and it went over the ramp without problems. I don't know how common that is but try looking for some YouTube videos.

P.S. I'm not stalking you, honest. lol

chengpk is our resident engineer, so you won't get any better info. ;)

We cruised on Royal with a balcony. I don't need a scooter or wheelchair for short distances, so I walked around our HC room, including onto the balcony, so I can't say anything about the combined weight. I can say the floor of the balcony did not feel any flimsier or less solid than the floor of the room. There was also a ramp (kind of like a little hump) from inside the room onto the balcony. I pushed my wheelchair onto the balcony to sit in and it went over the ramp without problems. I don't know how common that is but try looking for some YouTube videos.

P.S. I'm not stalking you, honest. lol

Of all the balcony cabins we've had they either had a sloping floor to go onto the balcony or, in Carnival Pride's case, a steeper wooden one. We weren't able to utilize the wooden ramp as it was too steep for the scooter but the Royal Balconies we had were all wonderful.

It depends on several factors which I have found vary between ships, even ships of the same line. First is the clearance on the chair. I have never had problems with a manual chair but in looking at others electric chairs them seem to have less clearance. Second is the steepness of the ramp to the balcony which again varies. Finally how high is the lip at the top of the ramp. This can catch the underside of the chair. I would hope the access office of any line you are considering would have this information (after you measure the clearance you need) but would not bet on it.