Recent Grills Experiences

wolfie789

There was a lot of discussion on the forum this time last year and during the summer of changes to the menus in both the Princess and Queens Grill on the Elizabeth (and later the QM2 I believe).

Would anybody be prepared to report on recent experiences in terms of the new menus and off-menu ordering? We're particularly interested in the QE which we're booked on for November but are also keen to hear from those recently off QV which were the last to get the "enhancements".

For what it's worth our experience in QG with Beniamino Acler on the QV in September was outstanding. No request was too much trouble and the old a la carte was still operative.

In PG on QE last November dinner menu was limited but quality of the food was excellent except for some over cooked pork one night which was quickly replaced with a delicious fillet steak.

Lunch was a whole different matter.

The food tasted like it had been cooked in the Britannia restaurant kitchen and just brought up to the Grills kitchen and reheated. Service was also slow occasionally as a lot of the waiters were covering in the Lido buffet.

Breakfast was good.

Overall I felt my previous experience in PG with the old menus was better but I still enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, Pepper, but our experience in QG on the QM2 in December and October '16 was somewhat different. We were solicited by the Maitre'd at lunch time on selected days to order off menu from the "off menu menu" for QG, in other words an alternative menu for QG. Otherwise, any dishes invented by us were not supported or encouraged, and in fact we got the definite impression that the Maitre'd was put out by our pushiness of bringing the subject up. We gave up. Hopefully for the OP the experience on the Elizabeth or Victoria will be more flexible. We will be in PG on the QM2 in June and will probably not push the envelope to order off menu then because we were instructed last year that off-menu ordering in PG on the QM2 is just not allowed. I'm sure we will have a great crossing anyway, because off-menu is not the main reason why we travel in Grills...we just love the extra space in our stateroom!

Sorry, Pepper, but our experience in QG on the QM2 in December and October '16 was somewhat different. We were solicited by the Maitre'd at lunch time on selected days to order off menu from the "off menu menu" for QG, in other words an alternative menu for QG. Otherwise, any dishes invented by us were not supported or encouraged, and in fact we got the definite impression that the Maitre'd was put out by our pushiness of bringing the subject up. We gave up. Hopefully for the OP the experience on the Elizabeth or Victoria will be more flexible. We will be in PG on the QM2 in June and will probably not push the envelope to order off menu then because we were instructed last year that off-menu ordering in PG on the QM2 is just not allowed. I'm sure we will have a great crossing anyway, because off-menu is not the main reason why we travel in Grills...we just love the extra space in our stateroom!

I have no idea what the "off menu menu" is. For us - In QG this year it was the daily menu, a la carte, or whatever we asked for.

QG on both QM2 and QE as recently as the end of last year were both displaying the now shortened a la carte menu alongside the daily menu but the Maître D' or head waiters were proactive in offering off menu requests. Any off menu requests were simply acknowledged with "when would you like it".

All very satisfactory.

M-AR

Sorry, Pepper, but our experience in QG on the QM2 in December and October '16 was somewhat different...
I'm sincerely very sorry to read that your experience was so different to my own, tv24 :( .

The QG maitre d' Osman, and the stewards who attended my table, reminded me almost daily that I could order anything "off menu" if there was nothing I liked in the daily or a la carte selections.

I found the choices available each day on both the daily and a la carte menus to be very extensive, and again I am sorry that that this wasn't your experience; that isn't fair at all.

I should point out that as this was my first time in QG (and I've not yet tried PG) I have no basis for comparison of how things have been in the past, and I believe you have far greater experience than me?

I really hope that on your next trip everything is as it should be, as it was for me.

Sincere best wishes to you tv24 :) .

I have no idea what the "off menu menu" is. For us - In QG this year it was the daily menu, a la carte, or whatever we asked for.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I was referring to the "a la carte" menu that contains such things as Dover sole and which have to be ordered at lunch time from the maitre 'd for the evening's dinner. Sorry for my choice of words.

I'm sincerely very sorry to read that your experience was so different to my own, tv24 :( .

The QG maitre d' Osman, and the stewards who attended my table, reminded me almost daily that I could order anything "off menu" if there was nothing I liked in the daily or a la carte selections.

I found the choices available each day on both the daily and a la carte menus to be very extensive, and again I am sorry that that this wasn't your experience; that isn't fair at all.

I should point out that as this was my first time in QG (and I've not yet tried PG) I have no basis for comparison of how things have been in the past, and I believe you have far greater experience than me?

I really hope that on your next trip everything is as it should be, as it was for me.

Sincere best wishes to you tv24 :) .

Thanks for your good wishes Pepper! We will be on board June 7 and traveling PG. Very much looking forward to the way beautiful ship and our favorite areas like the Chart Room, the Commodore Club, and the Grills Lounge. For us, the lovely interior design of the ship makes the entire experience pleasurable.

QG on both QM2 and QE as recently as the end of last year were both displaying the now shortened a la carte menu

This thread prompted me to take a look at the sample menus on Cunard's web site (I've been taking a look every few weeks anyway to maintain the sense of expectation for my first Cunard experience). QE and QM2 now show what I presume are the new shorter menus, while the older ones are still showing on QV for anyone wanting to download copies for reference.

We are travelling in OG in October on QE it is not our first cruise with Cunard but will be our first time in OG. We are using OG sample menus on Cunard's website as a guide and do not know if they have changed recently. What appears to be on the menus seems good enough for me and do not know what I would ask for "off menu".

We are travelling in OG in October on QE it is not our first cruise with Cunard but will be our first time in OG. We are using OG sample menus on Cunard's website as a guide and do not know if they have changed recently. What appears to be on the menus seems good enough for me and do not know what I would ask for "off menu".

I always request an Indian Banquet a couple of times. It comes with ALL the trimmings and is always delicious. Sometimes I just fancy a simple stirfry so I'll ask for that. Sometimes the chefs just surprise me (I'm a veggie)

majortom

We have had wonderful experiences in Grill's in the past when we booked that class.

One dish the we always look forward to and have prepped at tableside is Dover Sole Meuniere with Brown Butter Caper Sauce made to your liking. It was also boned tableside in front of you.

Also we use to see items coming onboard while in port and ask even the day before or that day what fresh was coming onboard.

Also when in Florida knowing it came onboard, Shrimp Scampi Pernod,

I always request an Indian Banquet a couple of times. It comes with ALL the trimmings and is always delicious. Sometimes I just fancy a simple stirfry so I'll ask for that. Sometimes the chefs just surprise me (I'm a veggie)

Now Indian is one meal we would love it is our favourite food what actually was in the Banquet.

Well I'm a veggie so I get slightly different from my husband. It very much depends on the chef, but typically a spiced vegetable curry, some dhal, rice, naan bread, popadoms, mango chutney, raita, shredded onion, tomato and cucumber. Each and every one has been different, but all equally delicious as they are normally Indian chefs.

Give it a go next time.

By the way, my husband would normally choose a chicken curry.

I was very disappointed by the reduced menu in PG on the xmas cruise. I was not offered any other choices and frankly the food was not up to normal satandards for the first few days. It did improve.

I'm goingQG in May, September and Xmas so will be interested to compare. The last few cruises have been on QV but all my future ones are on QE which I prefer.

I felt QV was waiting for and needing her refit. The electricity supply was very iffy!