Clothes tip for the ladies

mamasylvia

I use a scooter or wheelchair and dread, not so much cruising as getting to the port and back home. I have always had a problem keeping my clothes, especially pants, from dripping into the nameless but unpleasant-looking fluids that always seem to collect on public restroom floors. And pants are either long enough to cover my legs (in which case they also may drag on the floor) or so short I feel like I'm wearing capris (which I dislike and I think look ridiculous on an older woman).

I found cufffed pants on my favorite clothes website and decided to try them. The ones I bought, the cuff is loose enough to be comfortable but snug enough that I could order "talls" but they don't drag on the floor or fall to the bathroom floor. Both pair are coming to Alaska with me next month, I think they will be wonderful on excursions to keep my legs warm without getting in the way.

Here is a link to the ones I found (which are sold out) but it's worth looking wherever you normally shop for something with cuffs if you have the same problems I do.

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/heather-navy-pants.aspx?qoid=0025-37114-1194

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting the pants on the floor. On many trips I have found a midi length skirt to be my friend. You can just pull them up. Shorter skirts tend to ride up when I'm in my chair and longer skirts can get tripped on. Flowie skirts don't work at all.

My other big issue in the restrooms is that I can not "hover" over the seat. I've got to sit (as I suspect most of the woman on this forum do). I hope this topic doesn't offend anyone but I almost always have to clean up someone else's mess before I can pee. If you can't be neat, lift the seat! In any case, I carry a small bottle of purel with me and use that to wipe it down.

Clothing tips is a great topic.

When I was traveling in Asia, etc. where toilets were iffy, and sometimes non-existent, I put elastic around the bottoms of my pant legs. I actually had a couple pair pants from LLBean that came that way, and they were so practical...That I adapted the practice to what I already had. EM

Purel is a great idea. Little packages of disinfecting wipes are helpful too, but they are one more thing to cram into my travel bag. <sigh>

<makes a mental note not to travel in Asia - these days my idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service lol>

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these posts on clothing - helpful to many. I find also that washrooms in planes are nasty. My pants drag on the floor and get wet and then I am stuck with them because the bathroom is too small to be able to change clothing. They seem to be making them smaller every trip I take (and I seem to be expanding also)!!