Do you really need a watch on board?

cherryharley

I have seen many packing lists say to take a watch, but with cruise ships having internet access and cruise line apps, etc. is it really necessary? Won't I have the correct time showing on my smart phone?

Not necessarily. When you are in a port, your smart phone will show local time - which might not match ship's time. If the ship stayed on Tampa time and left Cozumel at 5:00 PM - while your phone showed 4:00 PM local time, you might get a great sailaway picture - from the wrong angle.

Certainly when ashore, you want to keep track of ship's time.

There's really no need to have a watch.

Use your iphone (or android equivalent).

Setting time zones on them or switching between auto and manual time settings is not rocket science. There's all sorts of ways to have quick access to your hometown time, local time, ship time (if different). In fact, by using a combination of "manual" time set before leaving home and the "world clock" feature, you can display as many time zones as you may usually cross on one screen. Then all you need to know is which time zone you're in (for local time) and which time zone (if different) the ship uses (debarkation port?). Those, along with what time it is at home (what you left with it set on manual), will all be displayed on the world clock screen.

Still amazes me that some folks will spend close to $1000 for a cell phone and not learn how to use its features.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely agree about ship's time versus shore time and not relying on cell phone which may change automatically to shore time.

I also wear a cheap watch on board. My phone doesn't go with me everywhere. Don't always have a pocket or need to carry a phone. Watch makes it easy to check time. I highlight things in the compass I might want to go to and need to know time. Also when just lazing the pool it is nice to have a watch. I usually put in my bag along with sunscreen, book, etc. If you need to meet friends/family it's nice to know time.

Setting time zones on them or switching between auto and manual time settings is not rocket science. There's all sorts of ways to have quick access to your hometown time, local time, ship time (if different). In fact, by using a combination of "manual" time set before leaving home and the "world clock" feature, you can display as many time zones as you may usually cross on one screen. Then all you need to know is which time zone you're in (for local time) and which time zone (if different) the ship uses (debarkation port?). Those, along with what time it is at home (what you left with it set on manual), will all be displayed on the world clock screen.

Still amazes me that some folks will spend close to $1000 for a cell phone and not learn how to use its features.

It's not about not learning how to use a cell phone's features. Not all of us are tethered 24/7 to our phones. I use mine when I need to, otherwise it sits on the charger pad or in the safe. I prefer a watch over a smartphone for touring. I wear a cheap watch that is strapped on my wrist, and I never have to worry about forgetting it somewhere after taking it out of my pocket to check the time. And, I don't have to worry about it being stolen since it isn't with me on tours. For photos I use a dedicated camera that is much easier to use and takes better photos. And, if THAT gets lost or stolen, I have only lost a couple of hundred dollars, not "close to $1000". Besides, not everyone spends that much for a cell phone. Many cost much less than that. I suspect that most people don't spend nearly that much on theirs, even if they use it all the time.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I could not have said this better myself. It amazes me the technology people have in their pockets yet haven't a clue how to use it.

I like wearing a watch

On vacation I try to avoid my smart phone. While you don't "need" a watch, it's an accessory I enjoying wearing

I want to get to dinner on time, get to an activity on time, and most importantly, not miss my return time to the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not have said this better myself. It amazes me the technology people have in their pockets yet haven't a clue how to use it.
What does wearing a watch have to do with someone knowing or not knowing how to use their smart phone? I wear a watch, because I only take my cabin card, a credit card and some cash when I go off the ship, so I wear a watch because I don't take my phone with me.

It's not about not learning how to use a cell phone's features. Not all of us are tethered 24/7 to our phones. I use mine when I need to, otherwise it sits on the charger pad or in the safe. I prefer a watch over a smartphone for touring. I wear a cheap watch that is strapped on my wrist, and I never have to worry about forgetting it somewhere after taking it out of my pocket to check the time. And, I don't have to worry about it being stolen since it isn't with me on tours. For photos I use a dedicated camera that is much easier to use and takes better photos. And, if THAT gets lost or stolen, I have only lost a couple of hundred dollars, not "close to $1000". Besides, not everyone spends that much for a cell phone. Many cost much less than that. I suspect that most people don't spend nearly that much on theirs, even if they use it all the time.

For touring (unless you are a photog diehard), nothing beats an "all-in-one" smartphone like an iPhone 7 plus: GPS, translator, phone, text, e-mail, flashlight, travel guide(s) and a host of other things not the least of which is a very easy to use killer camera* - and it all fits in your pocket.

*Both iPhone 7 and 7 Plus include optical image stabilization (OIS) and video stabilization, a Quad-LED True Tone flash and the ability to shoot 63-megapixel panorama photos. The iPhone 7 features 5x digital zoom. The iPhone 7 Plus has a dual camera 12-megapixel system allowing for 2x optical zoom and 10x software zoom.

As for what smartphones cost, the cheapest new iPhone 7 is currently $650 and many purchasers go for the far more expensive models.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

What does wearing a watch have to do with someone knowing or not knowing how to use their smart phone? I wear a watch, because I only take my cabin card, a credit card and some cash when I go off the ship, so I wear a watch because I don't take my phone with me.

A voice of reason! I agree! I can operate my smart phone, but leave it in the safe when visiting Labadee, for example. Just don't need it! A watch works so well when sitting on the beach (most swim suits don't have pockets!) Nice to have an idea of the time especially if you only want to spend a couple of hours in the sun and then perhaps return to the ship, go to eat, etc.

While some people don't want to be "tied to technology", I find I don't want to be tied to the time......and that's what I feel like when I wear a watch. I hate always having that reminder of the time in view all the time (whereas my phone only shows the time when I pull it out and awaken it from sleep); I only wear a watch at work, and then only reluctantly.

I don't change the time on my iPhone to match the ship's time because most of the time I don't care what time it is -- I care how long it is until X (until I have to be back on board, until the bus comes, until I have to wake up from my nap, etc). So I use the "Timer" function on my phone rather than the actual clock to tell me what time it is. That's especially important for me on my favourite cruises - transoceanic. Then there isn't always a time zone to change to, and it's even more difficult when you cross the dateline (this cruise we had two Wednesdays in a row).

For touring (unless you are a photog diehard), nothing beats an "all-in-one" smartphone like an iPhone 7 plus: GPS, translator, phone, text, e-mail, flashlight, travel guide(s) and a host of other things not the least of which is a very easy to use killer camera* - and it all fits in your pocket.

*Both iPhone 7 and 7 Plus include optical image stabilization (OIS) and video stabilization, a Quad-LED True Tone flash and the ability to shoot 63-megapixel panorama photos. The iPhone 7 features 5x digital zoom. The iPhone 7 Plus has a dual camera 12-megapixel system allowing for 2x optical zoom and 10x software zoom.

As for what smartphones cost, the cheapest new iPhone 7 is currently $650 and many purchasers go for the far more expensive models.

Hmmmm. For all these years I have toured 38 countries over a span of 50 years and never once thought to myself, "Gee, if only I have a smartphone to make this experience worthwhile and enjoyable". ;p

Been doing just fine for decades without lugging a smartphone everywhere I go. I think I will be just fine leaving it in my safe on my future vacation outings. If you want to depend on your smartphone to explore, go right ahead. But, to suggest that those of us who prefer not to be dependent on our phones 24/7 are somehow missing out, you are sadly mistaken.

And the CC guidelines forbid advertising on these boards. Your post sure seems like an advertisement for iPhone (which I wouldn't be caught dead with, BTW. Android all the way for me! :cool:). Maybe I should post an advertisement for my brand new Samsung Galaxy S8 in rebuttal? Its an amazing phone. :evilsmile:

If its a sea day, then the smartphone stays in the safe. While I have international roaming through 40+countries included in my call plan, the phone is useless at sea ("cellular at sea" is too pricey for me to consider).

So its a watch. Although (sometimes) there are clocks around these aren't always visible. I take.my watch off my wrist and fasten it round the carryall - that way both I and DW can easily check the.time

I have seen many packing lists say to take a watch, but with cruise ships having internet access and cruise line apps, etc. is it really necessary? Won't I have the correct time showing on my smart phone?

I'd rather wear a watch than carry my phone.

I know how to use my phone's features - and I also know that on a ship, or in a foreign port, I have no real need for a cell phone - other than as a timepiece --- in which capacity it is nowhere near as convenient as a watch.

I take a watch with me (cheap water resistant) to travel. Phones have a nasty habit of updating and messing up the time. I get water resistant for water sports, under $20.00 at discount department stores. Great to have when swimming or snorkeling and time gets away from you.

Need a watch? No. Wear a watch? Yes. Carry a smartphone? No. It is easier to wear a watch than carry a phone. When we get on a ship and leave port...our phone gets turned off and locked in the same. For us, a cruise is about socialization with real people....face to face. No need to text, constantly browse the web, etc. SmartPhones have become the new Heroin of society....folks get totally addicted. So here is the challenge. Try turning off and locking away all your smart phones for a few days (do this at home). Most younger folks cannot survive 2 hours. Even a heroin addict can go 4 hours (or more) without another "fix."

Hank

Need a watch? No. Wear a watch? Yes. Carry a smartphone? No. It is easier to wear a watch than carry a phone. When we get on a ship and leave port...our phone gets turned off and locked in the same. For us, a cruise is about socialization with real people....face to face. No need to text, constantly browse the web, etc. SmartPhones have become the new Heroin of society....folks get totally addicted. So here is the challenge. Try turning off and locking away all your smart phones for a few days (do this at home). Most younger folks cannot survive 2 hours. Even a heroin addict can go 4 hours (or more) without another "fix."

Hank

Remember, all Carnival ships now have the Hub app so it's nice to have your phone to use the app. We don't use the Internet/call/text while on a cruise, but the Hub app is very nice.