Based on these interests, suggest a Caribbean itinerary?

Bellerine

Hi Cruisers!

Thanks for clicking.

We've been on about 6 Caribbean cruises, but were always limited by young kids, elderly, etc. This time it's just me (standard middle-aged lady with a back that can't handle intense avtivity anymore) and my 17 y.o. son who's down for whatever.

Can you make some port suggestions based on these interests?

- We love experiencing real culture - chatting with and eating like locals

- Natural scenes and ruins that aren't too tough to get to - especially mountains, rainforests, waterfalls (basically just not any more beaches.)

-Animal interactions - done responsibly (not into contributing to inhumane capture or treatment.)

- Adventures like zip lining, ATVs etc - as long as they're not too intense/hard on the body

What we'd like to avoid:

- Lounging on a beach all day

- Crowds of people who've enjoyed a lot of happy juice

(Nothing wrong with either of those, just not what we're looking for this time.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :D

I have similar interests to you and my kids are 18 and 20 now, so similar ages to yours. We've found that the southern and western Caribbean itineraries tend to have more fun stuff to do like zip lining, ruins to explore, ATV's etc. While the eastern Caribbean is all about their stunning beaches and have much more beach related tours and activities. That being said, we really prefer the southern Caribbean. In Aruba we did ATV's that took us to a 100 year old church, ruins, and saw much of the island. In San Juan we got to explore ancient forts with real dungeons that wasn't a lot of walking or climbing. In Curacao we did a tour that took us to an ostrich farm, we saw a blowhole, and visited the Hato caves.

The western Caribbean is also good for adventures. Most of the Mexican ports have Mayan ruins to explore. And we love going to Roatan Honduras to the animal sanctuary where we can hold monkeys and other rescued animals. Belize has a cave tubing tour that is a really unique experience. And in Grand Cayman swimming with the stingrays is still up there as one of my fondest memories of cruising.

I hope this helps. Happy cruising. :D

I have similar interests to you and my kids are 18 and 20 now, so similar ages to yours. We've found that the southern and western Caribbean itineraries tend to have more fun stuff to do like zip lining, ruins to explore, ATV's etc. While the eastern Caribbean is all about their stunning beaches and have much more beach related tours and activities. That being said, we really prefer the southern Caribbean. In Aruba we did ATV's that took us to a 100 year old church, ruins, and saw much of the island. In San Juan we got to explore ancient forts with real dungeons that wasn't a lot of walking or climbing. In Curacao we did a tour that took us to an ostrich farm, we saw a blowhole, and visited the Hato caves.

The western Caribbean is also good for adventures. Most of the Mexican ports have Mayan ruins to explore. And we love going to Roatan Honduras to the animal sanctuary where we can hold monkeys and other rescued animals. Belize has a cave tubing tour that is a really unique experience. And in Grand Cayman swimming with the stingrays is still up there as one of my fondest memories of cruising.

I hope this helps. Happy cruising. :D

Thank you! Your response is super helpful!

I was really debating between a couple western (we also really love Roatan and would like to go again) and a couple southern, which we haven't done.

The one in our time frame that visits Aruba and Curacoa (which I wasn't at all sold on until your comment) also goes to Grand Turks and La Romana.

The one which goes to San Juan also goes to Grand Turks, Saint Kits, and Philipsburg.

I know I could read through a ton of port reviews but, since you seem to cruise so similarly, I'm wondering if you have any more great tips? :halo:

From a cultural standpoint, I liked the Mayan Lamanai ruins best in Belize. Closely followed by Old San Juan and Curacao.

Thank you!

My son does really "dig" Mayan ruins.

We've never been to Curacao or San Juan, and you're the second to recommend them.

Ahh! Decisions, decisions!

Wish there was a cruise in our time frame that combined even 2 of these suggestions.

Most of the islands on Southern Caribbean routes are good for meeting "locals". The most "untouristy" island we did was Dominica (Dahmah-nee-ka). Probably the poorest country too. We did a local cooking excursion to a house in the hills and made a wonderful fish stew and fried plantains lunch. Hands-on instruction. At St. Kitts we (six of us) hired a cab driver for the say and he was a wonderful guide - Pastor of a church and high school history teacher. At St. Maarten we did parasailing and then for a "different" sort of beach spent the afternoon at the Sunset Bar watching the planes come in low a Maho Beach. Too bad KLM no longer flies a 747 there. :(

maho-beach-photo_18771400-fit468x296.jpg

Those three destinations are probably on three different itineraries. Have your son look at photos online to narrow down the choices. The Mayan ruins are on a Western Caribbean itinerary. San Juan has two downtown forts and a restored and lively old town. Curacao's capital is pretty, but the rest of the islands so far south are more beach destinations. I haven't been to Dominica yet, would like to. I love the tropical islands.

Thank you! Your response is super helpful!

I was really debating between a couple western (we also really love Roatan and would like to go again) and a couple southern, which we haven't done.

The one in our time frame that visits Aruba and Curacoa (which I wasn't at all sold on until your comment) also goes to Grand Turks and La Romana.

The one which goes to San Juan also goes to Grand Turks, Saint Kits, and Philipsburg.

I know I could read through a ton of port reviews but, since you seem to cruise so similarly, I'm wondering if you have any more great tips? :halo:

We did the southern Caribbean with Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, and La Romana and loved it. One of my all time favorite itineraries. We used Zoom Zoom tours for a great ATV excursion in Grand Turk. They also have some fun kayak tours there too. In La Romana we loved Altos De Chavon. It's a 17th century rustic village with churches, amphitheaters, fountains, and restaurants. If you like history you'll love it. I would find a tour that takes you there. The Cueva De Las Maravillas caves there are super neat too. You can't go wrong with this itinerary.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the helpful and super cool suggestions.

I realized I was booking for June, which is when whale sharks are near Cancun. So I booked one that included Cozumel with an 8-hour excursion to swim with them - bucket list item!

It does mean I can take advantage of the cave tubing and some of the other ideas.

I've screen-shotted the awesome activities for southern trips - and will for sure head there next time.

Thanks again!

Thank you!

My son does really "dig" Mayan ruins.

We've never been to Curacao or San Juan, and you're the second to recommend them.

Ahh! Decisions, decisions!

Wish there was a cruise in our time frame that combined even 2 of these suggestions.

If it's ruins you want, head to the Greek Islands- particularly Rhodes where you can do an excursion to Delos or end up in Athens and then do a half day tour to ancient Corinth.

Better still, skip Greece and head to Sicily for what are inarguably the finest Greek ruins still standing.

Want the truly unique antiquities experience? Easter Island.IMG_1493390589.815359.jpg.355099338ddea6917fe0b854d7c4581d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums