America's Cup Village opening times announced

Charles4515

I wish it was open while we are there> June 14,15,16. I know they are not racing those days but I would like to check out the vendors. I'm sure there will be things to buy other places at the dockyard.

Laura

I wish it was open while we are there> June 14,15,16. I know they are not racing those days but I would like to check out the vendors. I'm sure there will be things to buy other places at the dockyard.

Laura

Yes, there are plenty. I just returned from Bermuda.

AC official store at dockyard and in Hamilton. A.S. Cooper also has some stuff. Other places also sell AC merchandise....don't know if that is official merchandise or not.

You can see the boats practicing and the crew. Wherever you turn there is "AC";)

We were thinking of cruising to Bermuda right before the AC starts ( we would depart Bermuda on the first day of racing). How busy will it be in Bermuda? We were w3ondering how large the crowds will be and the impact on the island. Thanks for any info

Safe sailing

We were thinking of cruising to Bermuda right before the AC starts ( we would depart Bermuda on the first day of racing). How busy will it be in Bermuda? We were w3ondering how large the crowds will be and the impact on the island. Thanks for any info

Safe sailing

This is at least the third place you've posted your question. I've already answered it twice.

• 3 weeks later...
So with no racing,the village will not be open at all?? I think that is kinda strange..

The America's Cup racing teams are going to be rather busy preparing their boats on non-racing days, so the last thing they need is thousands of people wandering around in what is a relatively small area.

Soooooooorrryy............I had no clue.......I figured it was shops and such there as well.....

I would liken it to a stadium. There will be food and drink vendors to serve the spectators who will be watching the races from the village at the finish line but there won't be any reason to be in the Village when there are no races.

I would liken it to a stadium. There will be food and drink vendors to serve the spectators who will be watching the races from the village at the finish line but there won't be any reason to be in the Village when there are no races.

Thank you for your help.:)

Bernews article: Video: 'First Look' at America's Cup Village - http://bernews.com/2017/05/americas-cup-village-numbers/

SBtS

The video showing the village makes it look like they put a big stage on top of a coral reef. Is this a floating platform? I assumed it was on land but it doesn't look like it. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The video showing the village makes it look like they put a big stage on top of a coral reef. Is this a floating platform? I assumed it was on land but it doesn't look like it. Anyone know?

It is built on a landfill. The landfill was created to build the village.

Oh, that's interesting. What are the plans for when it's over? Is it a temporary structure or is it permanent?

The latest "plan" is in this article. You should be skeptical of what is written in the article.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170519/business-hub-to-replace-ac-village

The latest "plan" is in this article. You should be skeptical of what is written in the article.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170519/business-hub-to-replace-ac-village

Sounds like it's possible it will end up much like the Olympic City in Rio (abandoned blight). I find it interesting they are proposing sustainable farming, who would want to eat food grown over a landfill? I think the most likely scenario is that all of their well intentioned ideas get scrapped and it becomes a big touristy strip mall full of souvenir shops or something.

Sounds like it's possible it will end up much like the Olympic City in Rio (abandoned blight). I find it interesting they are proposing sustainable farming, who would want to eat food grown over a landfill? I think the most likely scenario is that all of their well intentioned ideas get scrapped and it becomes a big touristy strip mall full of souvenir shops or something.

This isn't a landfill in the same sense as landfills in the US, which are often municipal garbage dumps. This was constructed from material dredged from the floor of Bermuda's North and South ship channels. Also the article talks about indoor agriculture and aquaculture, not planting crops in the ground...and even if something is planted in the ground agriculture isn't just growing food. You could grow trees, flowers or other ornamental plants.

The America's Cup Village is only 9 acres in area, not a self contained good sized city like the Rio Olympic village. We're not talking about high rise housing units that held thousands of athletes and officials. This something more like a modestly sized municipal park. It's only a little more than one one hundreth of the size of Central Park in NY City. To make a comparison to a local Bermuda attraction, the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo is seven acres in size, so this is only about 25% larger.

The America's Cup racing teams are going to be rather busy preparing their boats on non-racing days, so the last thing they need is thousands of people wandering around in what is a relatively small area.

the teams don't work on the boats in public view.

the teams don't work on the boats in public view.

The America's Cup Village is what I would call the "stadium". It is for viewing the race, the finish line in particular. The team locations are on the other side of the basin. That is where they work on the boats. Like you say they don't work on the boats in public view. Between races they make changes they don't want the other teams to know about.

The America's Cup Village is what I would call the "stadium". It is for viewing the race, the finish line in particular. The team locations are on the other side of the basin. That is where they work on the boats. Like you say they don't work on the boats in public view. Between races they make changes they don't want the other teams to know about.

Not all team locations are on the other side of the basin. This map clearly shows that two of the team locations are located on the landfill area created for the main village:

https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m3406_ac-village-may-2017.jpg

Getting to the village from the Dockyard requires going right by the other team facilities that are on the other side of the basin.

I fully understand that work on the boats goes on behind closed doors, but having thousands of people on the village grounds has the potential to compromise the teams' access to their facilities.

Not all team locations are on the other side of the basin. This map clearly shows that two of the team locations are located on the landfill area created for the main village:

https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m3406_ac-village-may-2017.jpg

Getting to the village from the Dockyard requires going right by the other team facilities that are on the other side of the basin.

I fully understand that work on the boats goes on behind closed doors, but having thousands of people on the village grounds has the potential to compromise the teams' access to their facilities.

The way I read the map the team locations are the other side of the America's Cup Village entrance. Outside the main village. Not inside the village. But it is true that getting to the village would require going by the team locations.

The way I read the map the team locations are the other side of the America's Cup Village entrance. Outside the main village. Not inside the village. But it is true that getting to the village would require going by the team locations.

Look at the tops of the buildings. In the main village two of them have flags, one New Zealand and one Sweden. Those are team head quarters, and they're adjacent to public areas, New Zealand is close to the food hall and Sweden is immediately adjacent to the Gosling's-sponsored bar. Great Britain, France, Japan and USA are located across the basin.

Look at the tops of the buildings. In the main village two of them have flags, one New Zealand and one Sweden. Those are team head quarters, and they're adjacent to public areas, New Zealand is close to the food hall and Sweden is immediately adjacent to the Gosling's-sponsored bar. Great Britain, France, Japan and USA are located across the basin.

Okay. I see those now. You are right.

maybe i am missing it on the boards, but is there an admission price to go into the village? we will be in Bermuda on June 17th & 18th.... I looked on the official website & couldn't find any mention,.. any idea?

maybe i am missing it on the boards, but is there an admission price to go into the village? we will be in Bermuda on June 17th & 18th.... I looked on the official website & couldn't find any mention,.. any idea?

Yes, there is an entry fee to ACV, read here: http://www.americascup.com/en/news/2389_Tickets-on-sale-now-for-the-2017-America-s-Cup.html

SBtS