Car Rentals Maui

olemissreb

I'm trying to put together an itinerary for our first full day on Maui and I have a couple of questions.

1 - I already know about discounthawaiicarrental.com and I plan on checking them as well as my local warehouse club and AAA. In looking at Google Maps, it appears that there is a Hertz near Maui Seaside. There also appears to be an Enterprise Rental in or near the Maui Mall. Does discounthawaii have pick ups in either of those places?

2 - If I have to pick up at the airport, what kind of timeline is typical to pick up the car (assume that I've joined the loyalty club to save time filling out paperwork because I do plan on that), then get back to the ship to pick up the rest of my family?

3 - Would I save time/money renting directly from either Hertz or Enterprise and designating pickup at either of the places mentioned above?

I'm currently thinking of heading to the lavender farm after picking up the car and would like to get there around 10am (it's about 30 minutes from the dock according to google maps) for a 10:30 cart tour.

Thank you for all your help.

I'm trying to put together an itinerary for our first full day on Maui and I have a couple of questions.

I already know about discounthawaiicarrental.com and I plan on checking them as well as my local warehouse club and AAA. In looking at Google Maps, it appears that there is a Hertz near Maui Seaside. There also appears to be an Enterprise Rental in or near the Maui Mall. Does discounthawaii have pick ups in either of those places?

I'm currently thinking of heading to the lavender farm after picking up the car and would like to get there around 10am (it's about 30 minutes from the dock according to google maps) for a 10:30 cart tour.

Unless things have changed, the Hertz location you are thinking about is in the Maui Beach Hotel, which is next door to the Maui Seaside. Both are about a mile walk from the POA in Kahului Harbor. Enterprise is just across the street and up about a block from the POA. No shuttle needed.

As to the lavender farm, do make sure your visit coincides with the plants being in bloom. Our opinion only, but there isn't a lot to look at elsewise. We live Upcountry, but not as far as the farm, and it takes us about 20 minutes on average to get from the port to our home. To go on up to the farm, we'd add another 15 minutes or so. Unless you have gone there before and know the route, 30 minutes is cutting it kind of close.

Unless things have changed, the Hertz location you are thinking about is in the Maui Beach Hotel, which is next door to the Maui Seaside. Both are about a mile walk from the POA in Kahului Harbor. Enterprise is just across the street and up about a block from the POA. No shuttle needed.

As to the lavender farm, do make sure your visit coincides with the plants being in bloom. Our opinion only, but there isn't a lot to look at elsewise. We live Upcountry, but not as far as the farm, and it takes us about 20 minutes on average to get from the port to our home. To go on up to the farm, we'd add another 15 minutes or so. Unless you have gone there before and know the route, 30 minutes is cutting it kind of close.

Thank you! I do have some extra time built in for the drive (an extra 30 minutes). I'll look into the 2 rental agencies closest to the dock. Sounds like it might be easier to walk to those places and then get back quicker than going to the airport to get a car. The only thing I'd be concerned about is turning the car back in as we are going to be going to the Feast at Lele and won't be back until 10:30-11pm.

We are going to be there the Sunday before Memorial Day in 2018. There is a lavender farm here in GA that has a lavender festival in June, so I'm hoping that that means Hawaii would be close to harvest at the time we are there. I will double check on that though - thank you for the reminder.

My plans for that day are:

Lavender Farm tour and lunch. Leaving about 12:15ish

Ocean Vodka Distillery tour @1pm Leaving there about 2ish

Maui Tropical Plantation - take the 3pm tram tour maybe look around a little afterwards Leaving between 4 & 4:30ish

Lahaina - See the Banyan Tree, eat at the Feast of Lele

Head back to Kahului - drop mom & 1 son at dock, then go turn in car and walk (maybe cab or Uber?) back to ship.

Does that sound reasonable? My travel times are based off of Google Maps and I have tried to build in a little extra time to stop and take pictures if we want. I also want to get the Gypsy Guide for Maui so we know of spots along the route.

Day 2 will be a Day Tour to Haleakala with my boys and I biking down while my mom rides in the van. Probably book through Mountain Riders or Adventure Maui. Then back to the ship to have a drink or 3 and relax until sailaway.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thank you! I do have some extra time built in for the drive (an extra 30 minutes). I'll look into the 2 rental agencies closest to the dock. Sounds like it might be easier to walk to those places and then get back quicker than going to the airport to get a car. The only thing I'd be concerned about is turning the car back in as we are going to be going to the Feast at Lele and won't be back until 10:30-11pm.

We are going to be there the Sunday before Memorial Day in 2018. There is a lavender farm here in GA that has a lavender festival in June, so I'm hoping that that means Hawaii would be close to harvest at the time we are there. I will double check on that though - thank you for the reminder.

Maui Tropical Plantation - take the 3pm tram tour maybe look around a little afterwards Leaving between 4 & 4:30ish

Head back to Kahului - drop mom & 1 son at dock, then go turn in car and walk (maybe cab or Uber?) back to ship.

Does that sound reasonable? My travel times are based off of Google Maps and I have tried to build in a little extra time to stop and take pictures if we want. I also want to get the Gypsy Guide for Maui so we know of spots along the route.

Day 2 will be a Day Tour to Haleakala with my boys and I biking down while my mom rides in the van. Probably book through Mountain Riders or Adventure Maui. Then back to the ship to have a drink or 3 and relax until sailaway.

Both car rental places near the harbor appear to close at 5 p.m., and the places at the airport at about 11 p.m. If you do decide to drop the car at the airport at night, do not attempt to walk back to the ship. It is too far and not that safe at night. If you can't get a shuttle back to the ship, you can get a taxi at the airport.

The lavender farm here should be in full bloom more in the summer, so you might want to keep tabs on that to see if it will be worth your effort. There are many interesting places for lunch Upcountry, so don't limit yourself to the lavender farm. Lavender smells nice, but it is an acquired taste in food and may not appeal to your children. If you go to Ocean Vodka, Surfing Goat Dairy is almost next door in case you and the family are into goats (they are cute). Heck, you can spend all day Upcountry if you want to. Have you thought about Ulupalakua Ranch and the winery? They have some different burger selections {such as lamb and elk raised right there). Haliimaile has a brewery, a blown glass shop we believe and a pineapple tour. These things draw less crowds than stuff down in the touristy areas, but to our mind they are closer to what is more real.

Both car rental places near the harbor appear to close at 5 p.m., and the places at the airport at about 11 p.m. If you do decide to drop the car at the airport at night, do not attempt to walk back to the ship. It is too far and not that safe at night. If you can't get a shuttle back to the ship, you can get a taxi at the airport.

The lavender farm here should be in full bloom more in the summer, so you might want to keep tabs on that to see if it will be worth your effort. There are many interesting places for lunch Upcountry, so don't limit yourself to the lavender farm. Lavender smells nice, but it is an acquired taste in food and may not appeal to your children. If you go to Ocean Vodka, Surfing Goat Dairy is almost next door in case you and the family are into goats (they are cute). Heck, you can spend all day Upcountry if you want to. Have you thought about Ulupalakua Ranch and the winery? They have some different burger selections {such as lamb and elk raised right there). Haliimaile has a brewery, a blown glass shop we believe and a pineapple tour. These things draw less crowds than stuff down in the touristy areas, but to our mind they are closer to what is more real.

I had thought of the winery, but was concerned that it would be too much "backtracking" since our eventual goal is to get to Lahaina for the luau. It's going to be a full day as it is, so I kind of wanted things to be a little laid back. We do want to kind of stay away from the cruise crowds and so I thought Lavender and Vodka might be good choices to start the day. The Tropical Plantation I'm anticipating being the one with the biggest crowds (unless we happen to get there between tours). The luau is limited in seating so the crowds won't be as bad, I hope.

Do you have suggestions for lunch between the Lavender Farm and Vodka tour? I agree with you about lavender being an acquired taste, but wasn't sure if there were any stops along the way to eat. We'd love to try places that the locals love but the tourists avoid.

I googled the rental agencies and realized they closed early. I did a dummy booking and realized that I could rent a car cheaper from Enterprise at the mall and turn it in at the airport - yep, even cheaper than just renting from the airport straight out. Thanks for the info on walking back to the ship. I had thought we'd be able to do that if we didn't have to turn the car in at the airport, but looks like we'll be taking a cab back to port.

Thank you for all your help. I may be hitting you up quite frequently in the coming months as I try to get our excursions planned especially if I'm renting a car.

We did the downhill bike ride this past Feb and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did the 8am tour and they picked us up at 7 am across from the pier at the mall. We booked with Adventure Maui who use Mountain Riders as their bike company. Very safe with a guide biking up front and the van in behind. It took about 2 hours to bike down the mountain. It was one of the highlights of our POA cruise.

Do you have suggestions for lunch between the Lavender Farm and Vodka tour? I agree with you about lavender being an acquired taste, but wasn't sure if there were any stops along the way to eat. We'd love to try places that the locals love but the tourists avoid.

Thank you for all your help. I may be hitting you up quite frequently in the coming months as I try to get our excursions planned especially if I'm renting a car.

Happy to help, olemissreb. We have been tossing ideas around on places locals love but tourists avoid, and can narrow the list down by getting an idea of what type of food you are looking for (thinking you might want to skip Hawaiian food since that will be part of The Feast At Lele) and how formal (being served) or informal/casual you want to be? Would you want to stay Upcountry? All the questions may seem silly, but if you are like us you want to make every meal special whether it is a luau or a lunch.

Happy to help, olemissreb. We have been tossing ideas around on places locals love but tourists avoid, and can narrow the list down by getting an idea of what type of food you are looking for (thinking you might want to skip Hawaiian food since that will be part of The Feast At Lele) and how formal (being served) or informal/casual you want to be? Would you want to stay Upcountry? All the questions may seem silly, but if you are like us you want to make every meal special whether it is a luau or a lunch.

I did some searching and found Kula Bistro - the menu looked pretty good and it appears to be between the Lavender Farm and Ocean Vodka. Is it any good? For the most part, we'll want informal/casual - think along the lines of an Applebees for sit down restaurant casual. My mom doesn't like sushi, but the boys and I do. My youngest doesn't like seafood (except for fried shrimp and tuna sushi - go figure!;p). We'd probably be looking at places that have a nice variety on the menu. Not sure that we'd be staying Upcountry since we are going from the Vodka factory over to Maui Tropical Plantation and then to Lahaina. Maybe something light to eat in Lahaina if we want it before the luau? Or maybe a shaved ice place along the route somewhere?

Day 2 we won't have a car, so we'll probably just end up eating near (walking distance) the ship or even on the ship after our bike ride down the volcano.

We did the downhill bike ride this past Feb and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did the 8am tour and they picked us up at 7 am across from the pier at the mall. We booked with Adventure Maui who use Mountain Riders as their bike company. Very safe with a guide biking up front and the van in behind. It took about 2 hours to bike down the mountain. It was one of the highlights of our POA cruise.

I can't wait to do this! 26 miles sounds like a long distance and I may end up walking funny, but it also sounds easier than biking UP the mountain!!:D I wanted to do the Sunrise one, but getting back so late from the luau and having to wake up at 2am just wasn't a good idea - not to mention biking while tired! Plus they would charge the same amount as the boys and I for my mom to simply ride in the van. So I'll miss the Sunrise and save enough money by going later that it pays for my mom to ride in the van!(y)

Does discounthawaii have pick ups in either of those places?

Discounthawaii is a broker and does not rent cars or offer any type of shuttle service. It is the same as if you arranged a rental from Costco.

I did some searching and found Kula Bistro - the menu looked pretty good and it appears to be between the Lavender Farm and Ocean Vodka. Is it any good? For the most part, we'll want informal/casual - think along the lines of an Applebees for sit down restaurant casual. My mom doesn't like sushi, but the boys and I do. My youngest doesn't like seafood (except for fried shrimp and tuna sushi - go figure!;p). We'd probably be looking at places that have a nice variety on the menu. Not sure that we'd be staying Upcountry since we are going from the Vodka factory over to Maui Tropical Plantation and then to Lahaina. Maybe something light to eat in Lahaina if we want it before the luau? Or maybe a shaved ice place along the route somewhere?

Day 2 we won't have a car, so we'll probably just end up eating near (walking distance) the ship or even on the ship after our bike ride down the volcano.

If you don't mind leaving Upcountry after the Lavender Farm and Ocean Vodka, you might google menus for Cafe Ole'i at the Dunes (Country Club) and/or the restaurant at the Kahili Golf Course. Both are close to the Plantation. We have been to both places. The food and prices were decent for here, and the views from their respective lanais spectacular on a clear day (the lanai at Cafe Ole'i looks out at their golf course and the West Maui Mountains, while the lanai at Kahili looks across the valley to Haleakala).

As to Monday, Da Kitchen (in Kahului very close to the ship in "Triangle Square") is the place to go for local food. Google all of these, as we said, and see if anything appeals. These are just suggestions, so no problem if no interest if any of them.

If you don't mind leaving Upcountry after the Lavender Farm and Ocean Vodka, you might google menus for Cafe Ole'i at the Dunes (Country Club) and/or the restaurant at the Kahili Golf Course. Both are close to the Plantation. We have been to both places. The food and prices were decent for here, and the views from their respective lanais spectacular on a clear day (the lanai at Cafe Ole'i looks out at their golf course and the West Maui Mountains, while the lanai at Kahili looks across the valley to Haleakala).

As to Monday, Da Kitchen (in Kahului very close to the ship in "Triangle Square") is the place to go for local food. Google all of these, as we said, and see if anything appeals. These are just suggestions, so no problem if no interest if any of them.

Thank you for these suggestions. I guess we should plan on eating a big breakfast so that we don't feel any affects from the Vodka tasting! :eek: Then we can get to one of these places. They sound amazing. I'll google the menus and check them out. Sounds like we'll get some great local food too before we reboard the ship. I think the tour company offers some lunch (have to verify), but if we can hold out until we get back to Kahului, Da Kitchen will probably be better.

Does discounthawaii have pick ups in either of those places?

Discounthawaii is a broker and does not rent cars or offer any type of shuttle service. It is the same as if you arranged a rental from Costco.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my meaning. I was referring to whether discounthawaii would use off airport rental places in their pricing. In other words, they would price a car at Hertz in the Maui Beach Hotel in addition to the Hertz at the airport.