Opening Balcony Dividers in Connecting Cabins -- Yes, but Depends

soxfan2013

I've referenced this is previous posts, but I think it's a meaningful enough issue/benefit to warrant a thread of its own.

I had asked here about opening the balcony dividers on connecting cabins on Summit and was basically told this could only be done on S class ships. Then some people said it could be done on M class ships with the new AQ cabins on Deck 11.

The reality is that it can be done more broadly. We were in rooms 9071, 9073, and 9075.

Upon request, two guys arrived at our room on the afternoon of Day 2 and opened the divider between 9071 and 9073. They would have opened the divider between 9073 and 9075, but the way the ship is designed, that divider blocks the sliding balcony door no matter which way it opens...so opening that divider was declared a safety hazard.

Still, it was very nice that we were able to open one of the balcony dividers to create a jumbo balcony, and also nice that we were able to "connect" the kids room with our room (the kids loved it).

Last winter on Reflection, there was a group below us of three couples who opened their dividers, creating a triple balcony. They had a whooping wild time...although were a little too noisy for my tastes, but that's where I learned abt opening the balcony dividers. I think S class ships may be designed where more of the balconies can be opened without blocking the sliding balcony door (perhaps all of them).

BTW, I had been worried about noise from the crew door across from 9071 and the fact that these rooms are located below the pool bar area. The crew doors were a non issue. I was told the crew has been trained to be quiet and except for one instance where it seemed the cabin stewards were meeting around 8am one morning in the stairwell behind the doors which I could hear from bed, the rooms and the hallways were generally very quiet. Also, few kids in Aqua Class rooms means fewer kids running down the halls.

Edited by soxfan2013

That's news. You're the first one to report this. I know they opened up on the new A1's on Deck 11, and a couple down on Deck 6 near the two penthouses, but on Deck 9? How about Deck 8, 7, and 6??? Did you ask about that?

That's news. You're the first one to report this. I know they opened up on the new A1's on Deck 11, and a couple down on Deck 6 near the two penthouses, but on Deck 9? How about Deck 8, 7, and 6??? Did you ask about that?

I didn't ask abt it, but I think all the dividers technically can open, but you can't do it yourself: you need a heavy duty wrench...and, of course, it seems like this works design-wise with only 1/2 or 2/3rds of the adjacent rooms which have the balcony doors which open in a cooperative direction.

I doubt you will be able to figure this out in advance by calling Celebrity. I think the best way is to post your question here with your room numbers and ask someone on board to check for you...of course, we know you can select 9071 and 9073. ;)

If for some reason this isn't happening for you through your direct request upon boarding, go to the CruiseCritic party on Day 1 (ours was at 11am)...based on our experience, all the the top officers will be there from the Captain on down (we had both Captain Leo and in-coming Captain Kate in civilian clothes, plus abt 20 other senior officers) and make your request directly to the Captain or Staff Captain (#2)...I did this, only to learn that it had previously been approved and was moot, but special requests from the Captain, which he or she can approve on the spot, are a good reason to go to the CruiseCritic get together.

Edited by soxfan2013

I didn't ask abt it, but I think all the dividers technically can open, but you can't do it yourself: you need a heavy duty wrench...and, of course, it seems like this works design-wise with only 1/2 or 2/3rds of the adjacent rooms which have the balcony doors which open in a cooperative direction.

The last time I was on Deck 9 on Summit was a few years ago, and having sailed on the S-Class numerous times, I took note of the partitions on Summit. They were definitely permanently attached to the rail. Maybe they reconfigured them during their refit in 2012 when they Solsticized and added the staterooms on Deck 3 (OV) and Deck 11 (A1's).

I would be curious to hear from others, as your account was the first one I've read on the Celebrity Forum.

The last time I was on Deck 9 on Summit was a few years ago, and having sailed on the S-Class numerous times, I took note of the partitions on Summit. They were definitely permanently attached to the rail. Maybe they reconfigured them during their refit in 2012 when they Solsticized and added the staterooms on Deck 3 (OV) and Deck 11 (A1's).

I would be curious to hear from others, as your account was the first one I've read on the Celebrity Forum.

These dividers did not look new, but who knows?

It took two guys with a heavy duty wrench to undo the bolt that secured the divider -- not something you just flip a lever and do yourself -- but once open, it swung freely in either direction and rested gently along the windows for the duration of the cruise.

BTW, as an "apology" for not being able to open the divider to the other room, we were offered vouchers for lunch for 6 in Bistro on Five...

If you were to try to figure out which rooms will be OK for opening the balcony dividers...now knowing that at least AQ dividers on M Class ships on Deck 11 and Deck 9 can technically/physically be opened, here's the deal:

* YES: Rooms where the beds are back to back (where the beds share a common wall) can have the dividers opened, because the sliding doors are on opposite sides of the balcony, hence the divider can be swung in either direction and not obstruct the door.

* NO: Adjacent rooms where the beds face the same way have their balcony doors next to the dividers and would thus be blocked.

Check your bed configurations.

As for whether dividers in M Class on other decks or for other cabins can be opened...we'll have to hear from other guests in those rooms.

Edited by soxfan2013

If you were to try to figure out which rooms will be OK for opening the balcony dividers...now knowing that at least AQ dividers on M Class ships on Deck 11 and Deck 9 can technically/physically be opened, here's the deal:

* YES: Rooms where the beds are back to back (where the beds share a common wall) can have the dividers opened, because the sliding doors are on opposite sides of the balcony, hence the divider can be swung in either direction and not obstruct the door.

* NO: Adjacent rooms where the beds face the same way have their balcony doors next to the dividers and would thus be blocked.

Check your bed configurations.

As for whether dividers in M Class on other decks or for other cabins can be opened...we'll have to hear from other guests in those rooms.

How did you come up with that empirical data on bed configuration/balcony dividers for the entire AQ2 on Deck 9 on Summit when you only experienced 3 staterooms/balconies? We all know that the newer A1's on Deck 11 dividers have always been able to be opened from inception.

Just curious what others have experienced, as my recollection before Solsticzation is that the plexiglas portion of the balcony dividers was not hinged. :confused:

How did you come up with that empirical data on bed configuration/balcony dividers for the entire AQ2 on Deck 9 on Summit when you only experienced 3 staterooms/balconies? We all know that the newer A1's on Deck 11 dividers have always been able to be opened from inception.

Just curious what others have experienced, as my recollection before Solsticzation is that the plexiglas portion of the balcony dividers was not hinged. :confused:

I think I can comfortably extrapolate from my experience with the AQ dividers on Deck 9 in and around rooms 9071-9075, that all AQ dividers on Deck 9 can physically be opened. I didn't visually check the dividers on the other side of the ship, but I would be surprised if they were different. Also, when I made my request, the answer was "likely, let me check with the staff Captain." that person didn't need to look at a map of the ship or deckplan to make that statement.

As for whether this applies to the dividers on other decks, I don't know. The dividers appear fixed, but are bolted. My recollection of the dividers on Reflection was that they could more easily be opened by a latch, but that was 7+ months ago, and my recollection is somewhat foggy.

I don't understand this thread and am dubious about people taking their own heavy duty wrench to open the balcony divides. Those on the S-Class are designed in such a way that truly only half of the divider folds back on itself and is firmly secured by a metal catch. Do those on Summit secure properly? I doubt it. Would they flap and break if the ship was in windy conditions under sail? I'm sure they would.

Phil

I think I can comfortably extrapolate from my experience with the AQ dividers on Deck 9 in and around rooms 9071-9075, that all AQ dividers on Deck 9 can physically be opened. I didn't visually check the dividers on the other side of the ship, but I would be surprised if they were different. Also, when I made my request, the answer was "likely, let me check with the staff Captain." that person didn't need to look at a map of the ship or deckplan to make that statement.

As for whether this applies to the dividers on other decks, I don't know. The dividers appear fixed, but are bolted. My recollection of the dividers on Reflection was that they could more easily be opened by a latch, but that was 7+ months ago, and my recollection is somewhat foggy.

I still don't think there is enough data to come to your conclusions, especially with bed configuration. Maybe others can chime in and confirm???

I am very familiar with Reflection and the other S-Class ships. The Plexiglas portion of the divider is on hinges and attached to the rail, requiring the stateroom attendant to open it with a special tool -- then it folds back with a couple of brackets to hold it in place. Bed configuration/sliding balcony doors don't even come into play.

What you described requiring 2 people to open it, did they use a hacksaw? :D:D:D

I don't understand this thread and am dubious about people taking their own heavy duty wrench to open the balcony divides. Those on the S-Class are designed in such a way that truly only half of the divider folds back on itself and is firmly secured by a metal catch. Do those on Summit secure properly? I doubt it. Would they flap and break if the ship was in windy conditions under sail? I'm sure they would.

Phil

Where was it discussed that people should bring their own wrench? I read it to ship staff that opened it?

Where was it discussed that people should bring their own wrench? I read it to ship staff that opened it?

Sorry, I looked again and misread it. I stand by my other comments though. My experience of the dividers is they aren't meant to be generally opened, but can for maintenance.

Phil

I still don't think there is enough data to come to your conclusions, especially with bed configuration. Maybe others can chime in and confirm???

I am very familiar with Reflection and the other S-Class ships. The Plexiglas portion of the divider is on hinges and attached to the rail, requiring the stateroom attendant to open it with a special tool -- then it folds back with a couple of brackets to hold it in place. Bed configuration/sliding balcony doors don't even come into play.

What you described requiring 2 people to open it, did they use a hacksaw? :D:D:D

Wine-O,

Given all the "extrapolation" going on here, I would feel comfortable in saying (based on my 3 cruises on M-Class ships) that the OP is making this all up and dreaming about wanting the dividers to open. :D

I have stayed on Deck 9 of the Constellation and the dividers most certainly did not open. Maybe the Summit is an exception to all other M-Class ships, but I have a hard time believing that. :rolleyes:

Phil

I don't think you read my comments: I didn't bring an industrial sized wrench on board and I didn't do this myself. I simply put in a request...et voila...it was done (took abt 24 hours)...although the Captain and Staff Captain also said at the CruiseCritic party that it was fine too -- but it had already been approved.

Otherwise, I just got off the ship a few days ago...so this is not speculation, this is reality.

I can comfortably say that the Aqua balconies on the port side of Deck 9 open, because my balcony dividers were opened and the others that I observed left and right were similarly bolted. I can't comment on the AQ balconies on Deck 11, but others have reported that those open too. I can't comment on other balconies and other decks, although I wouldn't be surprised if those functioned similarly (these dividers didn't appear "new")...I can't comment on other ships.

I can also comfortably say that even if your balcony divider can open, they will not do it for you if, by doing so, the divider blocks either balcony door when it is swung to its full position parallel to and alongside the window left or right.

I can further comfortably say that this scenario (being unable to open the dividers) occurs when the beds for two adjacent rooms are not back to back, sharing a wall, but basically when the feet are facing each other.

For our rooms: 9071 and 9073 were back to back (heads shared a common wall). This meant that the balcony doors were at opposite ends, so when the balcony dividers are opened and slid against the glass, they block the glass panel and not the door.

Whereas with 9073 and 9075, the beds were on opposite walls (feet facing each other) and the patio doors are on either side of the divider, so whether you opened the divider left or right, either way, a door was blocked, and even though the divider could be swung open and you could exit from the room to balcony by pushing the divider out of the way...this was deemed a safety risk and not allowed.

On a related note, while I they did say that sent two engineering types in green overalls to do this...it really only took one guy...but as the saying goes: "how many engineers does it take to open a balcony door? One to open the bolt and the other to watch the guy open the bolt."

I don't understand why people are challenging this when I just came off the ship and am reporting this for others as it may influence your cabin selections or otherwise is something you might want to check out for future voyages.

If other people on other decks report back their experience, we will know whether this is limited to AQ on Deck 9 and 11, just on Summit, etc...but there's not doubt that it applies to the AQ balcony dividers on Deck 9 on Summit in general (maybe there are some exceptions, but all dividers looking left and right seemed the same to me)...although it seems some people are questioning this fact. Don't know why.

Edited by soxfan2013

I'm still not buying it. If these partitions were meant to be opened on a routine basis, your stateroom attendant should be able to do it within minutes -- not having to wait 24 hours for someone from the engineering dept to come up and wrench it open on a special request from the Captain to do so. I'm not saying they can't be opened. I'm just saying this is not the norm. Maybe you just got a special dispensation. :rolleyes:

Additionally, not buying the bed position or the balcony door theory. Shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm surprised that others haven't chimed in on this. Trust but verify. :)

I'm still not buying it. If these partitions were meant to be opened on a routine basis, your stateroom attendant should be able to do it within minutes -- not having to wait 24 hours for someone from the engineering dept to come up and wrench it open on a special request from the Captain to do so. I'm not saying they can't be opened. I'm just saying this is not the norm. Maybe you just got a special dispensation. :rolleyes:

Additionally, not buying the bed position or the balcony door theory. Shouldn't have anything to do with it.

There's nothing to buy or not buy: just facts. You can choose to believe the earth is flat, too.

Given that one's practical ability to do this is based on the "cooperative" placement of the balcony doors for two adjoining rooms, if you understood the ships better, it would become clear to you that this can only work for rooms where the beds are back to back. But some people evidently need more illustration and explanation than others:

(1) There are two glass panels at the balcony: one is a solid/fixed glass window and the other is a glass door;

(2) The balcony door is positioned opposite the foot of the bed: i.e., diagonally from the head of the bed (say at 10-11:00 from the head of the bed), while the window panel next to the small sofa (fixed window and not balcony door) is positioned alongside the head of the bed, not opposite the foot.

(3) Therefore, the only types of adjacent rooms where the balcony doors are on opposite sides of the balcony -- one more forward and one more aft, leaving the two fixed windows from each room in the middle (either of which can thus be "blocked" by swinging the balcony divider in either direction) -- are the rooms where the beds share a common wall and are hence "back to back."

Now, if you still want to believe the earth is flat or otherwise find this too hard to understand, that's your choice.

As for whether they will do this for everyone, I don't know. They may not want to make this an advertised benefit seeing that it takes at least one crew member to implement, although I can't imagine it would present a major problem to do it for anyone upon request. That's why I also suggested making this a personal request to the Captain or Staff Captain at the CruiseCritic party where the officers seem to be making a big effort to be friendly and accommodating, if you run into a problem from getting approval through guest services. My experience with Celebrity is that they aim to please, where reasonably possible. But it could be a hit or miss thing.

The point is that it's something that's physically possible and is done aboard Summit (this wasn't a novelty to the staff I discussed it with) and doable safety-wise as long as your balcony door positions cooperate (probably about half of the rooms which have these type of balcony dividers qualify).

Edited by soxfan2013

There's nothing to buy or not buy: just facts. You can choose to believe the earth is flat, too.

Now, if you still want to believe the earth is flat or otherwise find this too hard to understand, that's your choice.

What a bunch of phony baloney BS. That's just another talking point from a left-wing liberal to shut down debate. That dog won't hunt!!!

I don't buy all your theory and all your so-called facts based on 3 staterooms, bed positions, and balcony door positions. I'm not saying you didn't get your partition open -- I'm just saying that it is the exception rather than the rule for the M-Class ships because you got a special dispensation from the Captain to send up an engineering maintenance man to unlatch it. You make it sound like this is commonplace like on the S-Class.

Like Ronald Reagan said -- Trust but verify. I haven't seen any collaboration of your "theory" for the M-Class partitions.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the glass partition would latch if there were wind/sea issues. Did you happen to take pictures so we can better understand how this would work?

Thanks! :)

That's a good question, and the answer is it doesn't latch. The divider swings with a little resistance, it's sort of heavy and is movable but not prone to swaying to and fro. I suspect in heavy seas, they may have wanted to re-attach the divider (we had very calm seas), but once swung into place alongside the window, the divider never moved on our cruise, and it would take heavy sideways movement at a seemingly sharp angle to get the divider to swing away from its resting position alongside the fixed window.

Also, it doesn't take 24 hours to open the dividers: the act itself takes more like 45 seconds...in my case, it took 24 hours from submitting my request at about 4pm on departure day to the time the guys showed up at our rooms to open the dividers.

I attribute this to the fact that embarkation day is a busy day and they didn't get approval until the following morning...when I had returned from the CruiseCritic party by noon the next day to say the Capital told me it was OK to open the dividers, I was told that the request had already been approved. It still wasn't until mid afternoon that the guys came to my room. Coincidentally, I was there when they showed up. So, while they were accommodating this request, it's obv not a high priority, rush item.

Lastly, these were probably maintenance people, not engineers, although they may report in to the Engineering Dept...I am not sure about the ship's organizational structure...they seem to be in the same dept. with the guys you see painting and touching up/repairing the ship.

I can see this as a Captain/ship-specific thing and not a Celebrity-wide M Class thing...I can see Capt. Leo being fine with this, assuming the seas are relatively calm as well, and another Capt. may determine it's all too much of a hassle.

As we all know, many times there are shipboard determinations that occur...some people say they were unable to exchange their in room champagne or wine for a credit towards a different bottle of champers or wine...others, like me, had no problem. I tend to think the official policy supports this, but who knows.

Phil

I did just answer this above, but sorry if I missed it previously.

The partitions do not latch. They are heavy duty/sturdy though, and they would not break, even in heavy seas, even if they banged. They conceivably could sway, but it would take a heavy sideways thrust to move the divider away from the window, and then, I'm not sure what would happen...I guess they'd bang back. I presume the ship has dealt with this previously, as this wasn't a novelty, and knows that either it's no big deal or knows to re-attach the dividers in the case of heavy seas.

I wanted to "chime in" but decided it wasn't worth it. This is definitely a one-of-a-kind circumstance and not a regular occurrence. I can see this being nipped in the bud very quickly if everyone from CC starts asking for this service. The maintenance people have better things to do.

You have been "spot on" with your comments. Thank you.

I wanted to "chime in" but decided it wasn't worth it. This is definitely a one-of-a-kind circumstance and not a regular occurrence. I can see this being nipped in the bud very quickly if everyone from CC starts asking for this service. The maintenance people have better things to do.

You have been "spot on" with your comments. Thank you.

Everybody from CC...hmm, let's see, I think on our whole ship we had 30-40 people respond to the roll call...now, how many of them have adjoining rooms, and then how many have the beds/doors in the right position...not very much...

At the heart of great hospitality is the eagerness to accommodate reasonable requests...under proper management, this is seen as an opportunity not a burden. I think Celebrity embraces this philosophy.

The partitions do not latch. They are heavy duty/sturdy though, and they would not break, even in heavy seas, even if they banged. They conceivably could sway, but it would take a heavy sideways thrust to move the divider away from the window, and then, I'm not sure what would happen...I guess they'd bang back. I presume the ship has dealt with this previously, as this wasn't a novelty, and knows that either it's no big deal or knows to re-attach the dividers in the case of heavy seas.

I've been thru heavy seas on the S-Class where the waves have shattered the partitions on several balconies. The fact that there are no clips to hold it the partition open certainly reinforces the fact that they were not designed to be opened. Letting the partition out there to swing willy nilly without attachment would be a safety hazard.

That confirms what I thought. They shouldn't be opened for passenger use.

Phil