Aqua Class Benefits - Where's the Beef?

soxfan2013

Ok, so back to the bubbly and swapping it out.....

We have 4 rooms. Can we "combine" 2 bottles toward something? Or are we only allowed one bottle per upgrade? It would be REALLY great if we could get two nice bottles!!!!

Combine away! We had three rooms/bottles...Once we combined two for a $70 credit and then the second night w used the third bottle for another credit...I sort of wish we had combined all three for a $105 credit then spent $150+ for really special bottle of while...maybe next time...

Thanks for the feedback on the tea request.

(Incidentally, my first cruise on Celeb will be in one of those "overhang" AQ staterooms, at least if I did my research right (in the 1650s range on Eclipse). "Roasting in the sun" is the exact phrasing I use ... For the thing I want to avoid.)

We would prefer some shade vs. no shade, but the overhang is a little much...looked out over the ocean and talked about it...it does interfere with the serenity and the view...certainly with sunset pics, etc...just would have preferred no overhang on deck 6, 7, 8...

I really don't think most people would select the overhang deck as their first choice...but perhaps if this tiny deck with no lounge chairs is your preferred place to hang out during daytime sea days and the sun is otherwise shining directly into you and you don't want sun...then I can see how the overhang would be a preference.

Has Celebrity taken the worst deck and turned it into a premium? If so, very smart for them and not so good for us.

Edited by soxfan2013

We thought that for us, aqua class was a great waste of money. The poor food in blu on Connie almost ruined our break. It was that bad!

We booked again whilst on board for Silhouette in one of our favourite SV cabins. I hesitate. Part of me wants to cancel and part of me thinks there may not be that many more cruises to take before ill health stops us in our tracks. The gallivanting days will be curtailed!

We thought that for us, aqua class was a great waste of money. The poor food in blu on Connie almost ruined our break. It was that bad!

We booked again whilst on board for Silhouette in one of our favourite SV cabins. I hesitate. Part of me wants to cancel and part of me thinks there may not be that many more cruises to take before ill health stops us in our tracks. The gallivanting days will be curtailed!

Just disembarked Connie this week.

The food and service in Blu was superb. I am not sure when you travelled?

With regards to the perks - we appreciated the free bottled water in the cabins, I wish one could have been sparkling.

We thought that the flavoured stuff in the big jug was horrid. They can dump that 'perk'.

Loved the shower.

In this case, we booked an adjoining room and they were able to open the balcony dividers, which was great.

We wouldn't have booked a separate room for the kids (8 and 9) if we didn't have to, but we were a last minute booking and this was the only option. We felt very fortunate to get three adjoining rooms together in Aqua for a reasonable price.

In retrospect, the cost for kids in the same room, in a Veranda or CC room, would have been $599/each. The difference in price for them to have their own room, which they greatly enjoyed as did we, turns out to have been a wise decision, although we didn't have an option: it was take these rooms or don't go...but in the end, I'm glad we didn't have a choice and I would book this way again...although I might look into putting the cost of including the kids in a suite, of that was available.

From what I can see Aqua Class was a marketing ploy to sell the least desirable rooms at a premium price. It seems as time goes on passengers are catching on to this and this post along with the price drops that I have been seeing for Aqua confirms it for me. Yes there are a few good rooms that probably book at the opening price but the fact that you were able to book three adjoining rooms last minute and it was your only option speaks volumes.

We will be traveling in Aqua for the first time and have a question about Blu. It seems some love it and some hate it. We are vegetarians. Has anyone had experience with Blu's vegetarian offerings? Could you give me an example of what they might be? (We do eat eggs and dairy, just no fish or meat.) Thanks.

We will be traveling in Aqua for the first time and have a question about Blu. It seems some love it and some hate it. We are vegetarians. Has anyone had experience with Blu's vegetarian offerings? Could you give me an example of what they might be? (We do eat eggs and dairy, just no fish or meat.) Thanks.

There is another CC member who is also a vegetarian and eats in Blu. I remember her mentioning a separate vegetarian menu in Blu but you may have to ask for it. If you don't get a reply here you may want to do a search or start a thread with the question. Personally I find the search engine useless and often brings up old information but maybe it just me.

Edited by Iamcruzin

There is another CC member who is also a vegetarian and eats in Blu. I remember her mentioning a separate vegetarian menu in Blu but you may have to ask for it. If you don't get a reply here you may want to do a search or start a thread with the question. Personally I find the search engine useless and often brings up old information but maybe it just me.

Yep, here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254126&page=2

Edited by flames9
adding info

1 has to keep in mind, very few cruisers are on Cruise Critic.....When we have sailed Aqua class twice, and talk with others (which is not a lot as we enjoy each others company) most really enjoy it! No stress about sitting with others (unless u want to), eat when u want to eat (you do find that many eat at the same time each night and like to sit in the same general area---especially if they like the wait staff) We have no issues with the food, not near as good as my moms or grandmothers, but have yet to find any place that lives up to that,lol

Thanks for your feedback, flames9 -- I'm glad to hear most of the people you talked to really enjoyed Aqua class, and that you didn't have any issues with the food. I'm fairly easy to please (as long as there are vegetarian options), some I'm pretty optimistic that we'll enjoy Aqua class. :)

~ Shay

Thanks for your feedback, flames9 -- I'm glad to hear most of the people you talked to really enjoyed Aqua class, and that you didn't have any issues with the food. I'm fairly easy to please (as long as there are vegetarian options), some I'm pretty optimistic that we'll enjoy Aqua class. :)

~ Shay

I'm not a picky eater, and I'm not a person that takes to many chances when it comes to trying new food,lol Thus, there was always the steak option,lol And if you don't like something, one can send it back and try something else. Or mix and match! 1 just has to ASK...they truly do try to make you happy

I that was me. :)

we sailed in Blu probably 5 times before a really good dining room manager mentioned that there was a separate vegetarian menu. Up until then I just made modifications to the regular menu.

The choices on the vegetarian menu were really tasty. I like spicy food so enjoyed the curries and Indonesian offerings. There were also pastas (not so great - I'm spoiled by the fabulous pasta on Princess) and bean and lentil dishes.

Also, if you find a good waiter to connect with and you give the kitchen 24 hours notice, they will try to make you almost anything.

I that was me. :)

we sailed in Blu probably 5 times before a really good dining room manager mentioned that there was a separate vegetarian menu. Up until then I just made modifications to the regular menu.

The choices on the vegetarian menu were really tasty. I like spicy food so enjoyed the curries and Indonesian offerings. There were also pastas (not so great - I'm spoiled by the fabulous pasta on Princess) and bean and lentil dishes.

Also, if you find a good waiter to connect with and you give the kitchen 24 hours notice, they will try to make you almost anything.

I guess you heard me calling.:D I'm happy you heard me;)

I was on last week. I have posted some of the menus here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2255038

Question that's probably been asked many times but am looking for an update: Does Blu still let you select items from the MDR menu?

I'll be on the Summit next month and can't wait to be dining in Blu again.

It has been asked but like anything else there's never definitive answer. It seems to depend on the ship and or staff.

Question that's probably been asked many times but am looking for an update: Does Blu still let you select items from the MDR menu?

You can select appetizers, salads, etc from Mdr

Just not entrees we were told

Happy sailing

The two cruises with Celebrity have been in AquaSpa. First was on the Connie and I loved Blu and our waiter JP. He was the best waiter on any cruise I have been on. I hope he is still with Celebrity. The sommelier - didn't remember his name - was awesome! He was interested in paring the wine with dinner in Blu. The glass of wine was refilled before the glass was empty.

The second cruise on the reflection March 2015 was ok. I missed the sommelier attention. The 2 on staff were too busy to care what wine we ordered with dinner. Our bartender at the sunset bar was Nik - who really made the cruise better for us. Talk about great service and knowledge. Just a great guy.

We are booked again Aqua spa - reflection - western caribbean this time. We don't believe Nik will be on the ship as his contract will end right before we cruise.

While I have nothing to compare with, I do like AquaSpa. nice location on the ship. Canapes were kind of odd but at times were nice to have when taking a break. I did have acupunture on the ship and will say the gentleman was the most knowledgeable and combined massage with treatment. It worked for what I needed. Even though a bit pricey, it was worth every penny. What I didn't realize is that the tip is included in the price. So this guy got a really generous tip because I tipped 20%. Oh well , live and learn.

We would echo the other comment that it seems to depend on the ship and staff. In fact, we even ran into two different policies on the same ship (Silhouette) about 1 year apart. And then last year, while in Aqua on the Eclipse we found out about the "secret menu" in Blu. While they would not allow ordering off the MDR menu, they had a limited number of MDR items available....if you knew to ask. Some of those items were the French Onion Soup, Escargot, Shrimp Cocktail and Cheesecake. I do not think there were any main course items. So this is one of those questions we usually ask the first night we go to Blu so we know the current policy on that ship at that time :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We would echo the other comment that it seems to depend on the ship and staff. In fact, we even ran into two different policies on the same ship (Silhouette) about 1 year apart. And then last year, while in Aqua on the Eclipse we found out about the "secret menu" in Blu. While they would not allow ordering off the MDR menu, they had a limited number of MDR items available....if you knew to ask. Some of those items were the French Onion Soup, Escargot, Shrimp Cocktail and Cheesecake. I do not think there were any main course items. So this is one of those questions we usually ask the first night we go to Blu so we know the current policy on that ship at that time :).

Hank

On the Reflection, we were given a card which listed items that could be ordered from the MDR. They included those listed above plus a Caesar salad I believe. They really did not come from the MDR as we received them promptly. ;) The French onion soup was superb! But very filling.

They usually have a vegetarian option but more importantly with celebrity overall I have found they will bend over backwards to make your meals to your liking. Our first ever cruise was on Celebrity with the whole family. My sister has some pretty sever allergies. Every night she was given the menu for the next night so they could accommodate her needs. On another celebrity cruise we had a special meal prepared by the staff at their insistence because we got to talking with our server about favourite meals - so he did it for us. And on another my DH wanted someone off the main dining room menu while we were eating in Blu....no problem. I think it comes down to if you treat the staff with respect and kindness they will attempt to do everything they can to help!