Return flight time pushed back

ERIN123

The good news is this is for our return flight post-cruise, not pres-cruise.

Just got an email from AA that my flight number for Dec flight changed. When I pulled up the reservation I see not only did the flight number change but the time too. Instead of departing FLL at noon we don't leave until 1:50 which isn't too bad but there really isn't much to do at FLL. I was looking forward to the early flught. Our connecting flight in Dallas will be cutting it a little close now, just under an hour apart instead of a longer layover in Dallas but should be ok.

Any ideas how to kill a couple of hours the last day? How long can we stay in our room or at the restaurants? The earliest I want to get to the airport is 2 hours before the flight.

Just got an email from AA that my flight number for Dec flight changed. When I pulled up the reservation I see not only did the flight number change but the time too. Instead of departing FLL at noon we don't leave until 1:50 which isn't too bad but there really isn't much to do at FLL. I was looking forward to the early flught. Our connecting flight in Dallas will be cutting it a little close now, just under an hour apart instead of a longer layover in Dallas but should be ok.

Any ideas how to kill a couple of hours the last day? How long can we stay in our room or at the restaurants? The earliest I want to get to the airport is 2 hours before the flight.

2 hours is really not that much longer (in my opinion). As for how long

you can stay on the ship? They normally want everyone off before 10.

(and that is on the late side). As for staying in your room? They want

you out of your room by 8.

You can request being in the "last group off the ship". But in all

honesty, there is not much you can do for the extra couple of hours.

Just go to the airport, read a book, read the paper, and chill. 2 hours

goes by pretty quickly.

Go to brunch! Hop in a cab with your luggage and head over to either American Social, The Riverside Hotel, Sweet Nectar, or Louie Bossi for live music, brunch, and all you can drink mimosas, bellinis, or bloody marys.

If it was me I would be the last off the ship and then make my way over to the airport or as has been mentioned I would go to an area hotel for lunch. But give yourself extra time to check in at the airport as Fort Lauderdale can be very busy.

Keith

2 hours is really not that much longer (in my opinion). As for how long

you can stay on the ship? They normally want everyone off before 10.

(and that is on the late side). As for staying in your room? They want

you out of your room by 8.

I think it depends on which cruiseline you are on. We departed our Holland America ship around 9:30 am last May and we stayed in the cabin until then, without a problem or question from the crew. In fact, Holland encourages you to stay in the cabin so as to not crowd up the departure deck.

Edited by DaveOKC

Go to brunch! Hop in a cab with your luggage and head over to either American Social, The Riverside Hotel, Sweet Nectar, or Louie Bossi for live music, brunch, and all you can drink mimosas, bellinis, or bloody marys.

This sounds like a great idea to me! :D

I think it depends on which cruiseline you are on. We departed our Holland America ship around 9:30 am last May and we stayed in the cabin until then, without a problem or question from the crew. In fact, Holland encourages you to stay in the cabin so as to not crowd up the departure deck.

Hi Dave, I think the OP asked this over on the Celebrity forum and the mods moved the thread over here to the FL Forum;)......I know on Celebrity they want folks out of their cabins by 8 and in the areas that are on their paperwork.

(Lounges, theater, etc.) Pax have specific public areas they wait in before disembarking the ship.

Edited by Lois R

Hi Dave, I think the OP asked this over on the Celebrity forum and the mods moved the thread over here to the FL Forum;)......I know on Celebrity they want folks out of their cabins by 8 and in the areas that are on their paperwork.

(Lounges, theater, etc.) Pax have specific public areas they wait in before disembarking the ship.

Wow - that is early to have to be out of your cabin. One more reason to like Holland America.

You might look online at the airline's website to see if there is an earlier flight that would fit your needs better, maybe with a different connecting city. If so, call the airline and ask them to change you. I have done this a few times recently, and they have been surprisingly pleasant and accommodating!

Edited by Viv0828

You might look online at the airline's website to see if there is an earlier flight that would fit your needs better, maybe with a different connecting city. If so, call the airline and ask them to change you. I have done this a few times recently, and they have been surprisingly pleasant and accommodating!

Good idea! If the airline changes your schedule, they will not charge you the normal fee for changing your flight. Normally they are quite willing to work with you.

Wow - that is early to have to be out of your cabin. One more reason to like Holland America.

We all have the cruiselines we like:)....I am normally out by 8 anyway

so it doesn't matter to me....I wait in one of the Specialty Restaurants.

Last year we had a 5pm flight out of FLL they have a holding area for luggage it was $7 per bag. We dropped our bags off and then took a taxi to the beach for a couple hours.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Services/Pages/Default.aspx

Public Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Enjoy exploring the airport or surrounding communities without the impediment of having to take your luggage with you. For more information, call 954-359-5505.

Terminal Hours Days

1 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday

2 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week

3 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday

4 9 a.m. - Noon Saturday, Sunday

For cruise passengers, some airlines offer baggage check-in at the port for the return flight. This gives you the freedom to explore the greater Fort Lauderdale area or the airport. Contact your airline to see if they offer this service.

Read Tips for Cruise Passengers for more information about baggage storage and cruising.

Edited by hockeyluver

Last year we had a 5pm flight out of FLL they have a holding area for luggage it was $7 per bag. We dropped our bags off and then took a taxi to the beach for a couple hours.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Services/Pages/Default.aspx

Public Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Enjoy exploring the airport or surrounding communities without the impediment of having to take your luggage with you. For more information, call 954-359-5505.

Terminal Hours Days

1 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday

2 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week

3 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday

4 9 a.m. - Noon Saturday, Sunday

For cruise passengers, some airlines offer baggage check-in at the port for the return flight. This gives you the freedom to explore the greater Fort Lauderdale area or the airport. Contact your airline to see if they offer this service.

Read Tips for Cruise Passengers for more information about baggage storage and cruising.

The website for the service - Bags to Go - is http://www.bagstogo.net.

Update

So I thought I'd see what other flight times AA had available, as maybe there was another earlier flight I could switch to for free (as someone suggested) since they switched me.

When I logged in I found our original flight was back up again for sale! So I called AA and asked if we could get back on that flight, since I'm not sure why they bumped us when they are still selling tickets. Not sure why they removed the flight and added back on, but she said no problem and was able to get us two seats together. While she was at it I asked about our flight down, as there is an earlier flight down that gets us into FLL at 9 am instead of midnight, and she kindly moved us onto that one as well at no charge, so what turned out to be disappointing news to be bumped to a later flight home worked out to good news as we got our flight back and have a better flight on the way down.

Hopefully it stays that way and they don't make any more changes!

Several years ago Alaska airlines bumped us to a later fligh. DH tried to get us changed back and they refused. So he asked for a $100 credit each on a future flight since they would have charged us that had we made the change. After talking to a supervisor they actually agreed to the credit plus they switched us back.

Glad you were successful as well!