New luxury small ship line, Haimark

Hi Ladies,

Been following your chatter!! Lovely to see the photos of smiling passengers. Would love to know more about the ship. The meals and tours and also if you have had a chance to explore the ship. We have booked on the promenade deck that allows one to exit from the cabin and I would love to know if the deck space is a bit squeezy and if one's privacy is compromised with people walking past. Booked to go Montreal to Portland leaving 21st October!

Hi, I personally would not book the promenade deck on this or any ship designed like it, of which there are many. First, no you do not have any privacy. You step out into public outdoor space and people are always walking past your windows and doors. The other issue is that if there is any inclement weather, you have to be out in it to go to and from your cabin to any other space onboard. If you have an indoor cabin both problems do not exist.

The tours have been okay to good. Information sharing has been a little less than good. Meals and service have been good. Choice is limited compared to bigger ships, but we haven't gone hungry! We found quality excellent.

Internet. It is spotty as any shipboard Internet will be. We were told in writing that we had 2 hours of Internet complimentary in our fare. Once onboard we were told it was 2 hours per passenger, not per cabin. In our passenger briefing at embarkation, we were told to go by reception to pick up a network password per passenger that would be good for 200 minutes, not 2 hours. When I picked up our passwords, the slips just said they would expire in 9 days. We only used one password and I am certain we have used more than 2 hours, more than 200 minutes and it is still working. We just got our bill for the cruise and there is no Internet charge. So, I would say that in practice Internet is included and unlimited.

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie - too late now about the promenade deck - will just have to make the most of it - we are used to river cruising with a balcony as I like to take photos as we pass interesting places and ship windows are notoriously dirty from water splashes, so that is why we wanted an exit from our cabin. I hadn't realised that there would not be a passageway exit as well - will have to check on that! Again we chose this ship because we prefer smaller ones so happy to accept a more limited menu - but what has been described so far sounds great.

Viv

Thanks, Debbie - too late now about the promenade deck - will just have to make the most of it - we are used to river cruising with a balcony as I like to take photos as we pass interesting places and ship windows are notoriously dirty from water splashes, so that is why we wanted an exit from our cabin. I hadn't realised that there would not be a passageway exit as well - will have to check on that! Again we chose this ship because we prefer smaller ones so happy to accept a more limited menu - but what has been described so far sounds great.

Viv

I agree, Viv, a wonderful summary (and pictures) of the cruise. Thanks so much, Debbie. (I am booked for the same itinerary-reversed-next summer.)

Ginny

Viv,

I understand if it is too late, but for future reference I'll tell you that while we will book a balcony cabin whenever possible that on a small ship with exterior passageways instead that we'll go with the lowest possible window cabin. We have never had one that was even a 30 second walk from the cabin door to an outside view and usually than long or less to a front or back outside view. On Saint Laurent, we are 2 doors off the central stairwell lobby and maybe 20 steps from the outside door there. Double that and we can be outside on the starboard side of the ship. Up 2 flights and we are on deck 4 with its promenade deck and we can be either fore or aft in about 2 minutes. We don't feel we gave up anything by taking this cabin 122. Just something to consider in the future. You may still be quite happy on deck 4!

Ginny,

Today is our last day and it has been a good cruise. I am sure you'll enjoy yours too. In many ways it has also been a relaxing vacation too. On such a small ship with the number of "sea days" on this cruise (3 + 2 half days) it has been a lot more down time than most of our cruises and has given us a lot of time to rest up. So, while it is a unique and interesting fresh water sailing if you actually booked this as a vacation, then it is great.

Debbie

Wonderful to get so many unbiased points of view - we are so looking forward to seeing Autumn colour and history so different from that in Australia - we hope we will not get wet moving from our cabin to the rest of the ship. Still hoping someone else booked to do the Montreal to Portland cruise will join in the conversation so we at least know someone when we climb aboard in October. Will report here how it all goes.

Happy Cruising

Viv

Wonderful to get so many unbiased points of view - we are so looking forward to seeing Autumn colour and history so different from that in Australia - we hope we will not get wet moving from our cabin to the rest of the ship. Still hoping someone else booked to do the Montreal to Portland cruise will join in the conversation so we at least know someone when we climb aboard in October. Will report here how it all goes.

Happy Cruising

Viv

I hope you have a great cruise, Viv. Mine is still 10 months away, which seems ages from now. I look forward to reading about your cruise.

Ginny

Happy Cruising

Viv

Looking forward to reading you review

Pack a rain jacket just in case ;)

Lyn

We're home! All in all we enjoyed our cruise on Haimark's Saint Laurent and would recommend it. There are about 10 posts about it on our blog during the first 10 days of August 2015 and photos. If anyone has any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them while the experience is fresh in my mind.

Debbie

http://epicendurancecruising.blogspot.com/

We're home! All in all we enjoyed our cruise on Haimark's Saint Laurent and would recommend it. There are about 10 posts about it on our blog during the first 10 days of August 2015 and photos. If anyone has any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them while the experience is fresh in my mind.

Debbie

Once again, Debbie, thank you for your wonderful summary of each day of your cruise. I'll be on the same deck as you and so there were several things I learned about that deck which I wouldn't have known from the brochure. The cabin certainly seemed lovely.

Ginny

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie, for sharing your experience aboard Saint Laurent. We're considering the cruise from Chicago to Montreal. I'm going to miss having a private balcony, but c'est la vie! Could you tell me what side of the ship might afford the best overall views / experience going from Chicago to Montreal? (I realize that you traveled the opposite direction). We're thinking deck 3 might suit us best.

Welcome home!

and thanks!

Deborah

Edited by lilpfef

First of a big you're welcome to all.

Deborah,

I can't say that there was more to see off one side vs. the other. I would say that things to see were probably evenly split. The only exception I can think of is going through the thousand islands area in the St. Lawrence River. There are 2 castles on islands, Boldt and Singer. They were on our starboard side and would be on the port side returning. Also, Montreal would be approached on the port side. But, then there is a man-made island you have to come around to dock in Vieux Port and at that point Montreal would be on the starboard side for final approach. So, really there is very little significant difference. Half of what you want to see will be on the other side or best viewed from forward or back. Good luck, Debbie

Thx for the quick reply! As is typically the case for a cruise, there's usually no "better" side. BTW, noticed that you have cruised with Oceania; as did we on Nautica (Hong Kong to Beijing) last year. Wonderful cruise, great ship. However, we just cancelled the 35 day Dubai to Capetown on Nautica and have booked on Silversea for an Antarctic expedition in Feb! Sounds like we both can't stay home for long! Happy trails to you.

Deborah

We're considering the cruise from Chicago to Montreal.

Deborah

Quick question

what date is the Chicago to Montreal cruise?

Is it a chartered cruise?

i find their website confusing

We were looking at the Toronto to Chicago or reverse for next yr but Montreal would be good also

Thanks

Lyn

Quick question

what date is the Chicago to Montreal cruise?

Is it a chartered cruise?

i find their website confusing

We were looking at the Toronto to Chicago or reverse for next yr but Montreal would be good also

Thanks

Lyn

Lyn, my trip is June 1, 2016 to the 12th (think that last date is right). I go from Chicago to Montreal. (I found this in the Vantage catalog if that makes a difference.)

Ginny

Lyn, my trip is June 1, 2016 to the 12th (think that last date is right). I go from Chicago to Montreal. (I found this in the Vantage catalog if that makes a difference.)

Ginny

Thanks

Maybe it is chartered by Vantage

I only see Toronto to Chicago in July & Aug on Haimark webpage

will have to get their brochure maybe

lyn

Thanks

Maybe it is chartered by Vantage

I only see Toronto to Chicago in July & Aug on Haimark webpage

will have to get their brochure maybe

lyn

Hi all,

You can find the Saint Laurent cruise dates on greatlakescruising.com or call them at 888-891-0203. We are booked on the June 2 - 11 trip from Chicago to Montreal. It doesn't appear to be a charter cruise, but they may book a group as a "charter" later on. We live in Chicago and saw Saint Laurent enter the harbor earlier this week and remain at the end of Navy Pier for a portion of the day. I've heard only good things about the ship itself (despite the small staterooms).

By the way, someone started a CC thread specifically for the June 2nd Chicago to Montreal trip, so you may want to share specific info on that trip on that board.

Looking forward to seeing the Great Lakes in all their glory and to meeting those of you who plan to be on-

board as well!

Deborah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dear dfb, would it be possible to contact you. I have many questions about the St. Laurent. However, the most important one is if the itinerary were to your liking, would you sail on her again?

Sorry it took me so long to find this. We are in Europe again and not regularly accessing the Internet. Yes, I absolutely would sail the St. Laurent again. I have no hesitation recommending Haimark and St. Laurent.

As far as contacting me directly, that won't be a good idea for a while until we get back home to our own Internet. Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
Do any of you know anything about Pearl Mist that also does the Great Lakes and includes Niagara Falls? Trying to find someone who knows about this boat. Itinerary looks good. joyous

We did the Pearl Mist last fall. Nice ship, good lecturers, good food. Owned by Robertson who also owns American Cruise Line so very similar.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have cruised on the St. Laurant, what is the smoking policy? I can find nothing on the Haimark website about whether or not they allow smoking.

However, they apparently are booking Cuba cruises for next year through Road Scholar, and its website says smoking is allowed.

Charlotte

For those of you who have cruised on the St. Laurant, what is the smoking policy? I can find nothing on the Haimark website about whether or not they allow smoking.

However, they apparently are booking Cuba cruises for next year through Road Scholar, and its website says smoking is allowed.

Charlotte

I believe Debbie posted they have smoking on the outside deck

Maybe she will check in again they are still crusing