New luxury small ship line, Haimark

I just saw an ad for this company in a magazine, and went to their website.

They have a single, very small ship, the MS Saint Laurent with maximum 210 guests, doing "coastal" cruising. Just starting up this summer.

Some interesting itineraries--the Great Lakes, with some wonderful-looking ports (my home territory), the St. Lawrence River, Costa Rica and northern South America in the winter.

Looks interesting. All-inclusive by the looks of it--excursions and alcohol included. Smallish cabins, but looks very nice.

Just thought I'd mention it. I have long thought that it was too bad that the Great Lakes did not get much cruise traffic. And the Costa Rica itineraries look very nice to me.

Here's the website: http://www.haimarkline.com/

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

Haimark Line is offering '2 for the price of one' cruises in October 2015 and we are considering doing one and would love to know if there have been any teething problems since St Laurent was renamed and schedules launched. Also would love to know if anyone else has booked to go!

. Also would love to know if anyone else has booked to go!

We will be on her July 5th....Montreal to Chicago. Looking forward to something different after 82 cruises. Haven't seen the Great Lakes and it looks like a great itinerary, excursions, dining, and open bar.

Really looking forward to hearing what onboard life is like - we are about to book to be sure of getting the Special offer and hope that your report here is a positive one! Have a great time! I will report here after our experience!

Edited by Memsahib27
Missed a sentence

Thanks so much for letting us know - we were just about to book and pay for special deal Airfares and if the cruise is off, we won't need to go! The value of these forums! If there is any more news would really appreciate updates as we are not likely to even have the accident reported in our Aussie news. Hopefully it is minor damage and can be fixed very soon - very sad after just being renovated and so many people booking the special deals they are offering! We haven't paid for the cruise yet so have emailed them - if I hear anything will post it here.

We're looking at planning a last minute trip and are looking into going Chicago to Montreal. Would love to hear any thoughts. Wonder if people will cancel and we might be able so snatch up a good deal ;)

We're looking at planning a last minute trip and are looking into going Chicago to Montreal. Would love to hear any thoughts. Wonder if people will cancel and we might be able so snatch up a good deal ;)

I do not think people will be cancelling at this late date but the big question is will the ship be repaired & make it to Chicago to pick up those on the July 5th cruise

I would be waiting to see if the ship gets repaired before booking with them

YMMV

I do not think people will be cancelling at this late date but the big question is will the ship be repaired & make it to Chicago to pick up those on the July 5th cruise

I would be waiting to see if the ship gets repaired before booking with them

YMMV

The July 5th cruise starts in Montreal and ends in Chicago on the 14th. No word yet....our fingers are crossed.

The July 5th cruise starts in Montreal and ends in Chicago on the 14th. No word yet....our fingers are crossed.

Oh that is good news

At first blush it does not appear to be as bad as thought but they will have to get repairs done & be seaworthy

Looks like it could be done for the next cruise

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/haimarks-saint-laurent-strikes-st-lawrence-seaway-lock.html

Great to get all this news - keep it coming as we get nothing about it on our TV or Radio. :) It does sound as though by October, when we are planning to sail, all should be back to normal! Still not heard from Haimark Travel but will post here when we do.

Great news....looks like the Saint Laurent will be sailing to Quebec City today under its own power.:)

6/21 - Massena, N.Y. - The St. Lawrence Seaway has reopened to traffic after the cruise ship Saint Laurent was pulled out of Eisenhower Lock by the Groupe Ocean tug Ocean Pierre Julien shortly after 4 p.m. Saturday.

Saint Laurent, with a jagged hole torn in her stem, was tied to the lower lock wall for inspection. Divers conducted a survey of the vessel and determined that the extent of the damage was to the bow of the vessel and that the vessel can sail under its own power.

The Saint Laurent is scheduled to sail to Quebec City, Canada, on Sunday.

Traffic through the locks had been suspended since 9:15 p.m. Thursday when the vessel struck a concrete bumper that protects the west gate after the ship entered the lock. The ship’s more than 270 passengers were removed by basket from the vessel Friday afternoon,

Ship traffic through the locks is expected to be heavy over the next several hours with seven ships listed as being between the Iroquois Locks, near Waddington, and Snell Lock late Saturday afternoon.

Cause of the accident has not been determined.

Watertown Daily Times, USCG

Does seem like good news. The pictures I have seen look like it's mostly cosmetic (although impressive). Hopefully your cruise goes on as planned!!

Thanks, I've been tracking her movements on this website:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-74.8/centery:44.9/zoom:12

Looks like she's averaging around 10 knots with a tugboat close behind.

Edited by slk230red

Just received this email:

Thank you for your email.

All passengers from the current sailing have returned home and the MS St. Laurent is on her way to the shipyard in Montreal for repair. Our June 26th sailing (a European charter) has been canceled so that she can get repaired. However, we do anticipate that the July 5th and all subsequent sailings will operate.

Sound positive so far!

Just received this email:

Thank you for your email.

All passengers from the current sailing have returned home and the MS St. Laurent is on her way to the shipyard in Montreal for repair. Our June 26th sailing (a European charter) has been canceled so that she can get repaired. However, we do anticipate that the July 5th and all subsequent sailings will operate.

Sound positive so far!

Good news

I think they will probably be able to repair her in time for your cruise July 5th

Keep us posted

Lyn

Thanks, I guess I'll start packing, we fly to Montreal on July 4th. Keeping fingers crossed just in case.;)

Thanks, I guess I'll start packing, we fly to Montreal on July 4th. Keeping fingers crossed just in case.;)

Fingers crossed you get to cruise if not Montreal is a nice place to visit ;)