Cruise Surprises!

Just wondering if anyone has planned, or been on receiving end of any pleasant surprises on a cruise? Always nice to hear people's stories.

I'll share a couple...

Back in 2010 for my then husband's birthday (me? an ex-husband? I am old enough, but that's very kind! You charmer!) I surprised him with with a cruise on Adventure of The Seas going to Ibiza amongst other places. When he got home from work I had our bags packed, his passport in hand and you should have seen the look on his face!

Cut to this year it's my 30th birthday (OK, I'm not *that* young. Cheers for that...)and I'm going on Explorer of The Seas which happens to leave Barcelona ON my birthday. Boarding on your birthday has got to be much nicer than disembarking on your birthday right? Anyway, my fiancé thinks we've got an Oceanview room but I've booked us into one of the new Deck 12 balconies. Can't tell if he's going to kill me or love me. I'm pretty sure he'll be thrilled - especially when he remembers that I'm the one paying ;)

So what surprises have you planned or been the lucky recipient/victim of?

Great story! I have never been on the receiving end of such a surprise, but I have surprised my wife with a room upgrade. The hardest part was keeping my big mouth shut before we boarded with the pretty colored seapasses.

deck 12 balconies?

Yeah, on the Voyager Class Ships they've adding (in the WOW revitalisation programme) a new piece to the ship above the bridge (some people call it the UFO).

It contains panoramic oceanview and balcony cabins. They're beauuuutiful.

Edited by TheGinBoy

I upgraded us from an inside to a Jr. Suite without telling my husband. I was able to keep the secret until just a few days before the cruise when one of his co-workers asked him which cabin he was in. He couldn't remember our original cabin, so he logged into our account to look it up, and the surprise was spoiled!

I upgraded us from an inside to a Jr. Suite without telling my husband. I was able to keep the secret until just a few days before the cruise when one of his co-workers asked him which cabin he was in. He couldn't remember our original cabin, so he logged into our account to look it up, and the surprise was spoiled!

My DH would have no idea how to do that or the fact that we/he even has one ;);)

Just wondering if anyone has planned, or been on receiving end of any pleasant surprises on a cruise? Always nice to hear people's stories.

I'll share a couple...

Back in 2010 for my then husband's birthday (me? an ex-husband? I am old enough, but that's very kind! You charmer!) I surprised him with with a cruise on Adventure of The Seas going to Ibiza amongst other places. When he got home from work I had our bags packed, his passport in hand and you should have seen the look on his face!

Cut to this year it's my 30th birthday (OK, I'm not *that* young. Cheers for that...)and I'm going on Explorer of The Seas which happens to leave Barcelona ON my birthday. Boarding on your birthday has got to be much nicer than disembarking on your birthday right? Anyway, my fiancé thinks we've got an Oceanview room but I've booked us into one of the new Deck 12 balconies. Can't tell if he's going to kill me or love me. I'm pretty sure he'll be thrilled - especially when he remembers that I'm the one paying ;)

Champagne at dinner for free, strawberries in our room, anniversary cake

We had found a cruise on NCL for an inside cabin and as I was calling my TA to book it, she emailed saying we could upgrade for 100$ to a balcony so I did it without telling him! Five months of keeping the secret and we visit our TA at her office (she also happens to be his mom and my MIL) and she brings up how excited she is for us to finally have a balcony. Oops! No biggie though either way he is super excited!

I'll share a couple...

2014. Booked our first cruise for my family of hubby and teenage 13y/o as a Christmas present. Saved up without them knowing. Now heading into cruise 3 :-)

we told our kids last year we were staying at an "all inclusive resort" vacation in Baltimore (they don't travel much so they didn't know) and going on a dinner cruise. They didn't realize it was a cruise because we managed to get the customs agents and all the check in people into the story. As we walked onto the ship we told them we were going to the Bahamas. I've never seen my kids so excited.. at least until we showed them the aft Royal Family Suite.

For our 40th anniversary I planned a cruise but my dh only knew it was a cruise. He did not know which ship. I did tell him to bring his golf clubs. Took him on the Oasis. Booked a crown loft. He was wow all the way. Tried to give him a surprise each day. One day was the all access tour. And of course, golfing in Jamaica. We had the best anniversary.

I have a 3 nighter on Enchantment booked Thanksgiving weekend, which is also DH's birthday weekend. He has no idea, and my only fear is that he'll invite friends or family to come down to join us for the holiday and I'll need to spill the beans. Otherwise, I don't plan on telling him until the day before we leave, so he has time to pack.

My mom and I sailed on Allure of the Seas for my 30th birthday, and I received a call from my TA a week before we sailed - offering to upgrade us to a Junior Suite for a nominal price.

I knew my mom could not afford to help pay for the upgrade, and I realized that we may never get another opportunity like this. I called back the next day and paid the fee.

My mom was so incredibly happy when she found out about the upgrade. We both shrieked walking into the room, and continued doing so with every door we opened and corner we turned. :D

I am surprising my three teenage daughters with a cruise on Indy that sails 150 days from today! I reserved it last July and have been very successful so far in keeping the secret. Two of them haven't been on a "real" vacation since they were quite young and the third has never been on a "real" vacation. They have all been begging to be taken to the beach. I think this will fit their requirements!

I'm still working on the reveal and I can't wait to see their reactions when I tell them. I had initially decided to tell them as we were leaving for the airport but that would mean I would have to pack for all of us. I have now decided to tell them a week or two before we leave so they can help with their packing.

Aren't surprises great?!