Dairy free ice cream on Oasis?

Has anyone seen a dairy and egg free ice cream on Oasis? Does Ben and Jerrys have any? We are taking DS on for his third birthday and we are a vegan. TIA!!

Have not seen this advertised. I'd contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse]. Maybe they can make some accommodation.

Be careful, I have encountered places that use the terms sherbet and sorbet interchangeably. I believe that sorbet may also be the French translation of sherbet, not that the cruise ship is French, just an interesting fact that may further confuse the issue.

There is no such thing as "dairy free" ice cream. Real ice cream must have 4% milk fat...

Anything "dairy free" must be sherbet.

We eat almond milk ice cream, cashew milk ice cream, coconut milk ice cream and they also have soy milk ice cream.

There is no such thing as "dairy free" ice cream. Real ice cream must have 4% milk fat...

Yes, "ice cream" is the broad term to describe the dessert about which we are all talking. :)

OP, have fun on your cruise and I hope you find something for him while not encountering any cross-contamination.

Has anyone seen a dairy and egg free ice cream on Oasis? Does Ben and Jerrys have any?

Does Oasis of the Seas even have a Ben & Jerry's? I thought they had their own ice cream shop on the Boardwalk.

I am not sure about the eggs part, but if you want to be 100% sure that there is no dairy in any product including ice cream and especially sherbet/sorbet, you can look to see if the item is Kosher.

A majority of industrial food products made in the US are, and they will have a Kosher supervision symbol somewhere on the label. If is is dairy free it will have only the symbol. If it contains dairy or in many cases if it is made on equipment that also makes dairy products, it will have the symbol followed by the word , dairy.

The most common symbols are: the letter U in a circle, the letter K in a circle, the letter K inside a bracket ] , (this is used by Ben and Jerry's), the letter K in a star, the letter K in a diamond.

The letter K by itself is NOT a good guarantee for dairy free by Orthodox Jewish law

The word Dairy Free on a label without a Kosher symbol is also not a 100% guarantee as FDA rules allows minute traces of dairy in a product and it can still be called Dairy Free, especially in "non Dairy Coffee Creamers"

The staff aboard ship are well used to Kosher questions and will either bring you the package or take a picture of the label for inspection. You cannot rely on them saying it is Kosher as suppliers change and what may have been Kosher on the last trip is not now.

Hope you find what you want

Edited by badatz

I am not sure about the eggs part, but if you want to be 100% sure that there is no dairy in any product including ice cream and especially sherbet/sorbet, you can look to see if the item is Kosher.

A majority of industrial food products made in the US are, and they will have a Kosher supervision symbol somewhere on the label. If is is dairy free it will have only the symbol. If it contains dairy or in many cases if it is made on equipment that also makes dairy products, it will have the symbol followed by the word , dairy.

The most common symbols are: the letter U in a circle, the letter K in a circle, the letter K inside a bracket ] , (this is used by Ben and Jerry's), the letter K in a star, the letter K in a diamond.

The letter K by itself is NOT a good guarantee for dairy free by Orthodox Jewish law

The word Dairy Free on a label without a Kosher symbol is also not a 100% guarantee as FDA rules allows minute traces of dairy in a product and it can still be called Dairy Free, especially in "non Dairy Coffee Creamers"

The staff aboard ship are well used to Kosher questions and will either bring you the package or take a picture of the label for inspection. You cannot rely on them saying it is Kosher as suppliers change and what may have been Kosher on the last trip is not now.

Hope you find what you want

Actually that's not quite accurate as I've often encountered, both in Israel and the US, items that are certified as 100% vegan which are still labeled as OUd or OKd. Sometimes it's a matter of the use of equipment which is also used to produce products which contain dairy (I don't think I've seen the 'de', for 'dairy equipment' notation for a while- is it still being used?), sometimes the reason isn't clear. I do, however, find the OUd, etc notations helpful when looking for a vegan chocolate bar- it's amazing how many dark chocolate bars contain milk fats!

I was on Allure in November, and the ice cream shop on the Boardwalk usually had one or two favors of sorbet each day. They rotated them, but if you have a flavor you particularly want you can ask them if/when they plan on having it available.

I asked if I could see the ingredients of both the sorbet and the ice cream cones, and they were happy to show them to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cones were also vegan, but I would make sure to ask to see the ingredients of both the sorbet and the cones on your cruise, just in case they've changed suppliers.

Happy birthday to your son! :-)

• Like 1

Actually that's not quite accurate as I've often encountered, both in Israel and the US, items that are certified as 100% vegan which are still labeled as OUd or OKd. Sometimes it's a matter of the use of equipment which is also used to produce products which contain dairy (I don't think I've seen the 'de', for 'dairy equipment' notation for a while- is it still being used?), sometimes the reason isn't clear. I do, however, find the OUd, etc notations helpful when looking for a vegan chocolate bar- it's amazing how many dark chocolate bars contain milk fats!

I am not sure that I follow you.

I said that the only way to be sure that something does not contain any dairy or trace dairy in it, is to look for a Kosher certified product that does not have a D or "dairy" attached to the symbol.

The fact that you saw something with a 100% Vegan label, which is definitely not a Kosher labeling, attached to a OU-D or OK-D product just strengthens my point. The Kosher supervisors have a higher standard regarding possible dairy than the person who labelled it 100% Vegan

Edited by badatz

I am not sure that I follow you.

I said that the only way to be sure that something does not contain any dairy or trace dairy in it, is to look for a Kosher certified product that does not have a D or "dairy" attached to the symbol.

The fact that you saw something with a 100% Vegan label, which is definitely not a Kosher labeling, attached to a OU-D or OK-D product just strengthens my point.

I guess it depends which certification you hold more faith in- vegan, from a company/or organization you trust...or...

I can tell you -as a vegan who used to keep strictly kosher, and whose spouse still does- that 'strict' vegans are at least, if not more, vigilant about the ingredients of their food as those who keep strictly kosher. So, while you believe that the only way to be sure a product does not contain dairy is to check for kosher certification, I have more confidence in vegan certification.

I know many Shabbat observers who will eat in vegan restaurants around the world, but who are hesitant to eat in various kosher certified restaurants. I even know some who do not fully trust 'badatz' certifications. ;)

[but we are touching on discussions that not only are off-topic to this thread, but are edging into the political..:p]

I guess it depends which certification you hold more faith in- vegan, from a company/or organization you trust...or...

I can tell you -as a vegan who used to keep strictly kosher, and whose spouse still does- that 'strict' vegans are at least, if not more, vigilant about the ingredients of their food as those who keep strictly kosher. So, while you believe that the only way to be sure a product does not contain dairy is to check for kosher certification, I have more confidence in vegan certification.

I know many Shabbat observers who will eat in vegan restaurants around the world, but who are hesitant to eat in various kosher certified restaurants. I even know some who do not fully trust 'badatz' certifications. ;)

[but we are touching on discussions that not only are off-topic to this thread, but are edging into the political..:p]

You are right that we are straying here and I will not get into a discussion of Kosher in all of its ramifications. But you still did not explain your own contradiction. How can a 100% Vegan product be OU-D

Edited by badatz

You are right that we are straying here and I will not get into a discussion of Kosher in all of its ramifications. But you still did not explain your own contradiction. How can a 100% Vegan product be OU-D

Again, it depends on in whose certification you hold more trust. Clearly we differ on that. (You might not be aware that trust in the OU certification process is not universal.)

Again, it depends on in whose certification you hold more trust. Clearly we differ on that. (You might not be aware that trust in the OU certification process is not universal.)

Well we agree on that but you also said OK-D whi9ch has a somewhat different audience.

But we have exhausted the topic so no more

Enjoy your cruises and your ice cream wherever you find it. Royal Caribbean generally uses San Bernardo brand which is all OU-D

I was on Allure in November, and the ice cream shop on the Boardwalk usually had one or two favors of sorbet each day. They rotated them, but if you have a flavor you particularly want you can ask them if/when they plan on having it available.

I asked if I could see the ingredients of both the sorbet and the ice cream cones, and they were happy to show them to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cones were also vegan, but I would make sure to ask to see the ingredients of both the sorbet and the cones on your cruise, just in case they've changed suppliers.

Happy birthday to your son! :-)

Great great news! DS has never had anything not vegan so even a trace of milk in a cone would probably send his little stomach into disarray so I'll definitely ask to see the ingredients. I appreciate your help!! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Ruth

I picked this site as it seems to be the one that you were most recently on. I just wanted to say hello to you hope all is well and to thank you so much for all those posts on what to do while in Israel. When I posted the first time I had not been to Israel before and knowing

what where the must sees, what to expect and what was plausible was so very helpful. That was all for a trip in late October of 2011. Since we are going again next November for 3 days I started rereading your posts from back in the day (2009) and found them all the more interesting and informative having been to many of the venues. All to say that having read about 6 months of posts I felt a desire to say thank you for your kindness and sharing and the same to you fellow posters. Ross

Hi Ruth

I picked this site as it seems to be the one that you were most recently on. I just wanted to say hello to you hope all is well and to thank you so much for all those posts on what to do while in Israel. When I posted the first time I had not been to Israel before and knowing

what where the must sees, what to expect and what was plausible was so very helpful. That was all for a trip in late October of 2011. Since we are going again next November for 3 days I started rereading your posts from back in the day (2009) and found them all the more interesting and informative having been to many of the venues. All to say that having read about 6 months of posts I felt a desire to say thank you for your kindness and sharing and the same to you fellow posters. Ross

So sweet of you, Ross! Very glad to be of help- then, and with your upcoming trip :-).

Edited by happy trailer