Live from the Shadow to Alaska

CruisinPashmina

Dusababy here echoing and confirming CruisinPashmina's excellent review of our trip. Thanks pal - didn't we have a time:)

She's said it all - I had computer glitch - now I re-live through her.

You all know who the cheerleaders (your call, not mine) are so if you can discount that and us - take the report as gospel.

I hadn't been on Shadow in quite awhile and was thrilled by the condition of the ship - the superb service - and genuine excellence of the experience. I marked almost every category on the questionnaire a big 10 - with a couple of 9s thrown in.

Try it -- you'll like it

aka Mary Ann

Dusababy here echoing and confirming CruisinPashmina's excellent review of our trip. Thanks pal - didn't we have a time:)

She's said it all - I had computer glitch - now I re-live through her.

You all know who the cheerleaders (your call, not mine) are so if you can discount that and us - take the report as gospel.

I hadn't been on Shadow in quite awhile and was thrilled by the condition of the ship - the superb service - and genuine excellence of the experience. I marked almost every category on the questionnaire a big 10 - with a couple of 9s thrown in.

Try it -- you'll like it

aka Mary Ann

Glad you had a great time Mary Ann, bet you killed them at Trivia!

• 1 month later...

We are on the Shadow for the 1st time and 1st in Alaska, July 23rd cruise. Thank you for your review. I was concerned about this cruise. Having read some negative reviews. WE have been on Oceania 5 times, love it, now because of you I am really looking forward to this new experience. Was concerned about food etc.

Jeanine, Every cruise experience is different for each passenger. That said, my review of our Alaskan trip highlighted our genuine happiness with all aspects of the cruise. When we returned home we talked about being surprised that this had been one of the very best SS cruises we've had...pretty good as we have been SS sailors for almost 20 years. The fabulous weather was definitely a factor. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

We've seen a lot of changes...some good, some not so, but still we don't feel "urged" to sail with any other company. (Crossings on the QM2 don't count! Nor do cruises with one's family. For kids /grandchildren we recommend Celebriity) One by one we have eliminated other lines with Seaborne and Regent being the most notable. Their ships feel too big to us..that's why we aren't 100% sold on the SS Spirit, although we have had some wonderful times on her too. Never been on Oceania, but we have friends who love the two new ships.

Right now we are having to wait until December to rejoin The Shadow for a b2b over the holidays...I'm looking forward to visiting Burma again after 9 years. Should be very interesting to see the changes...especially in Rangoon. On this trip we plan to stick around there as we did a two overnight excursion to Mandalay and to Bagan...Fabulous excursion!

I hope you will have a wonderful time on the Shadow in Alaska, and I'm counting on your posting a review! Bon Voyage.

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't give you a percentage, but I'd describe the scene as a mix of people in "party clothes". The really fancy long gowns seem to be worn less and less. You'll see a lot of black and a lot of sparkle. With a few, very fun exceptions, the attire is understated and elegant.

Note to SS: PLEASE KEEP THE FORMAL DRESS CODE! It adds immeasurably to the whole experience. We, 70s, our kids, 40s all love the celebratory atmosphere.

I really can't give you a percentage, but I'd describe the scene as a mix of people in "party clothes". The really fancy long gowns seem to be worn less and less. You'll see a lot of black and a lot of sparkle. With a few, very fun exceptions, the attire is understated and elegant.

Note to SS: PLEASE KEEP THE FORMAL DRESS CODE! It adds immeasurably to the whole experience. We, 70s, our kids, 40s all love the celebratory atmosphere.

Wholeheartedly agree with CruisinPashmina. SS is about the only place left where I can be pretty sure it will be an elegant evening with grown ups looking smashing !!

Agree, agree!! All looked so special and elegant for the two formal nights in our last Med cruise in the Silver Spirit! Wish I had packed one of my long gowns... Plenty of good-looking gents in tux and dinner jackets. I'll certainly miss this highlight if the formal code changes.

I spoke to a ss agent last week re formal night. On the July 23rd Alaska cruise they do not have a formal night. On the 2nd night they require men to wear a jacket, tie not necessary. Women a nice dress or dressy pant outfit. We have cruised with 0ceania six cruises. Decided to try SS because of the 7 day cruise. Thankful they have suspended formal night. We appreciate Oceania's country club casual dress code

• 4 weeks later...