Travel Insurance - World Cruise - Advice Please

mysty

I would really appreciate some advice on Travel Insurance for a SS World Cruise. There is an option to go with a product offered by SS. We are from Canada so the exchange rate makes this option a tad pricey. Also I am not sure if a product offered by the cruise line is the way to go. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We use Travel Guard. Have actually needed to file claims. They are easy to work with. Less expensive than SS too. Many years ago I had a problem and had to get home immediately, the 24 hr. response line was not manned, as promised, but there was an answering machine!

I search on squaremouthdotcom and have used both CSA and TinLeg. So far have not needed to make a claim so cannot comment on whether they are actually any good.

One advantage of not using Silversea's insurance is you can insure as much as you like.

Thanks Emtbsam! Great point about being able to insure as much as we like. This is our once-in-a-lifetime trip and we really can't afford not to cover it as well as we can. Appreciate your input!

Thanks Emtbsam! Great point about being able to insure as much as we like. This is our once-in-a-lifetime trip and we really can't afford not to cover it as well as we can. Appreciate your input!

Hi,

Possibly the most important cover is health cover so if you have private health insurance, you might consider contacting your provider and asking if they offer travel extensions.

If they do this might offer you identical cover to your main policy. In other words whereas normal purchased travel insurance has exclusions these might dissapear with your PHI policy and stop you having to notify etc which offers a much greater level of reassurance.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! We are currently covered with supplemental health with my husband's employer. If he retires at the end of December this year, his coverage will cease. I am hoping he can get extended coverage but that is not a given. Our provincial health care plan does not cover out of country medical costs. Hopefully we can find a plan that will not require that we hand over our oldest child. :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks duct tape! We are currently thrashing our way through our very limited options! Cruise line coverage is not going to work because the max per passenger is $70K USD. And also with the current CAD to USD exchange rate, the cost is much higher than it would have been even a couple months ago! :( I'll check out the MedJet!

It is important that you are covered for medical insurance in terms of getting sick. Not knowing how your coverage works I can't tell you what you will need.

In our case, we purchase two insurance plans; one that provided a substantial amount of medical coverage and also MedJet. I might not purchase MedJet for one single voyage say sailing the British Isles but for a World Cruise where you are sailing so many places around the world including some third world countries I think it is a wise decision. You can purchase just medical insurance from most of the companies without even insuring the trip. We uses TravelexInsurance and have had claims processed with them. In our case the benefit is they act as the primary carrier so we just send them the bills.

As to trip insurance it all comes down to how much risk you want to take. That is true of home owners and auto insurance and by that I mean as has been mentioned you don't have to insure the full portion of the trip when you buy your own. You can purchase less and look at the uncovered portion as a deductible. That is a personal decision.

We use insuremytrip.com each time we buy insurance just to see what is out on the market as plans change all the time. Also, some companies do not offer policies that are as long as a World Cruise. It is a great tool to compare policies.

When it comes to insurance I also want a company that if something goes wrong they are easy to deal with.

Keith

Thanks so much duct tape and Keith! We thought we had everything worked out. When we got closer to the final cruise payment we were told that the planned insurer was no longer offering the product to Canadians. So we were back to square one. We finally found an insurer in Canada and are working out the details. It will be two plans - Non-Medical All Inclusive (trip cancellation, interruption, baggage) and Medical Preferred (for the medical coverage). I'll go back and check MedJet again.

Thanks Suite Travels! This whole thing has been much more difficult than I expected. Being Canadian narrowed our options considerably! MedJet does cover Canadians though so we will definitely check it out!

Hello mysty,

There are some inexpensive available in the market. You can check the plans offered by Travelance. There are two plans available, one of them is Cruise Package Plan and the other one is Non-Medical Cruise Package Plan. You can get further information about these plans on the company website http://www.travelance.ca.

Edited by TLrep1

Thanks so much to everyone who posted on this thread for their wisdom and suggestions. We have now covered all our insurance needs. We will be getting the MedJet membership in a couple of months. I really appreciate all your help!

Hello mysty,

There are some inexpensive available in the market. You can check the plans offered by Travelance. There are two plans available, one of them is Cruise Package Plan and the other one is Non-Medical Cruise Package Plan. You can get further information about these plans on the company website http://www.travelance.ca.

Unfortunately, this will not work for us! Thanks for your suggestion though. We have something that will work for us now.