Why do they bump dinner reservations?

justmeindustland

This is our first cruise on SS so I am stilling learning the ins and outs. I ran into one thing that I don't understand.

When the window for making dinner reservations opened up, I went in and made ours. I just went in to double check something and now find that we are wait listed for La Champagne. They never notified me that this was happening nor the reason why we were bump. Is this normal? What is the chance that we will clear the wait list?

This is our first cruise on SS so I am stilling learning the ins and outs. I ran into one thing that I don't understand.

When the window for making dinner reservations opened up, I went in and made ours. I just went in to double check something and now find that we are wait listed for La Champagne. They never notified me that this was happening nor the reason why we were bump. Is this normal? What is the chance that we will clear the wait list?

There are many reasons offered for this and any could be true.

If you were told that you had a confirmed reservation at the time but are now told you are waitlisted I would go back and ask to see the original list. Count down how far from the top you are and if you were within the seat capacity asked why your booking was cancelled.

It is not unknown for some MD's to prioritise previous customers whose names they recognise and who are good tippers. If you suspect this then see the hotel director. You might find then that your future bookings "go smoother".

As soon as you board, go to La Terraza, and tell the maitre'd what happened. Better yet, if you have confirmation, bring that with you. They will fix it. This has happened to us, and it usually because a group has booked the restaurant for the evening you were originally scheduled. You won't get your original reservation back, but they will find you something that is acceptable on a different night.

As soon as you board, go to La Terraza, and tell the maitre'd what happened. Better yet, if you have confirmation, bring that with you. They will fix it. This has happened to us, and it usually because a group has booked the restaurant for the evening you were originally scheduled. You won't get your original reservation back, but they will find you something that is acceptable on a different night.

Great comments/ideas above from Rachel, plus the smart insights from Jeff. Having been on the Silver Cloud just recently, the demand was not heavy for La Champagne during the early parts of our two cruises. Checking with folks when you got on the ship should get things either fixed and/or some good options offered to fit your interest/needs.

THANKS! Enjoy your sailing! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 20,644 views for these postings.

They probably received a large private party booking. Go to mysilversea and make reservations for other nights...you can always cancel when you get onboard.

Also, they do not make every table online available, only a certain number, otherwise they'd have no tables available for passengers who book when they arrive.

Remember, Le Champagne is very limited capacity. And the first night is always an easier night to get a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants.

There are many reasons offered for this and any could be true.

If you were told that you had a confirmed reservation at the time but are now told you are waitlisted I would go back and ask to see the original list. Count down how far from the top you are and if you were within the seat capacity asked why your booking was cancelled.

With the utmost respect to this poster, I am not entirely sure, as Dale Carnegie said, this is the best way to "win friends and influence people." And it seems to be a bit of a bully-ing tactic. Plus, this is a cruise line, not a restaurant. I would suggest making reservations for other nights, as I believe the poster(s) who said they probably have a large group booking are most likely correct so the restaurant is full. You probably won't have an issue getting into Stars or the Pool Grill on any night; it's LeCham and LTerrazza that are usually the most difficult.

RachelG is absolutely correct.

With the utmost respect to this poster, I am not entirely sure, as Dale Carnegie said, this is the best way to "win friends and influence people." And it seems to be a bit of a bully-ing tactic. Plus, this is a cruise line, not a restaurant. I would suggest making reservations for other nights, as I believe the poster(s) who said they probably have a large group booking are most likely correct so the restaurant is full. You probably won't have an issue getting into Stars or the Pool Grill on any night; it's LeCham and LTerrazza that are usually the most difficult.

Just because you are ignorant of a long-term practice of some of the MD's on SS it doesn't make it untrue I'm afraid.

I assure you it has been a problem. And Dale Carnegie is dead by ghe way.

Thanks everyone. I tried to get a different reservation but there is nothing left since we are less than a month out. I would have thought that when they changed the status, they would have notified us or offer us a different date.

I didn't take a screen shot when I made it so I have no proof. Lesson learned if we ever cruise SS again.

Can't say this is a great way to start our cruise since this was the one important reservation for us.

Thanks everyone. I tried to get a different reservation but there is nothing left since we are less than a month out. I would have thought that when they changed the status, they would have notified us or offer us a different date.

I didn't take a screen shot when I made it so I have no proof. Lesson learned if we ever cruise SS again.

Can't say this is a great way to start our cruise since this was the one important reservation for us.

I suggest you email SS and say exactly to them what you posted here and ask them to make a "special effort" to ensure the confirmed reservation is honoured. Costs nothing, could help.

Good luck and enjoy your first SS cruise ....

:)

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. Once you set foot on the ship, you will need to go to reception on deck 5 to check in and have them take your credit card imprint, etc. Confirm with them that specialty restaurant reservations are being taken in person in Stars. After you do this, take the elevator off the reception area up to deck 7. Stars is just before La Terrazza. Stop in there to make your reservation at Le Champagne. They will also have a list of what the dress code is each night so you can plan accordingly. Then walk a few steps down to La Terrazza, mention what has happened to the maitre 'd. They'll be serving lunch in La Terrazza if you arrive in time, so you can have lunch there if you like. I think it will all work out. And if the night you had wanted to dine in Le Champagne is a special night, remember you can talk to the maitre 'd in the main dining room and custom order something with at least 24 hours notice. They can make a special meal for you there if you like. Enjoy.

Never a good thing being bumped without an explanation. Its poor customer service. Period.

On another cruise line, this also happened to me. I showed up the night I made the reservation and had the print out from the computer at home the day I made the reservation in my hands. They told me that they couldn't find my name. Later, they proceeded to tell me that I had called and cancelled. Yeah, like I would do that standing there with my reservation in my hand. They acted like they were doing ME a favour by squeezing me in that evening. Yet the place never was full all evening. Oh they apologized because they simply got caught.

To the OP, if they can reaccomodate you then perfect. Hoping this gets sorted out.

Never a good thing being bumped without an explanation. Its poor customer service. Period.

On another cruise line, this also happened to me. I showed up the night I made the reservation and had the print out from the computer at home the day I made the reservation in my hands. They told me that they couldn't find my name. Later, they proceeded to tell me that I had called and cancelled. Yeah, like I would do that standing there with my reservation in my hand. They acted like they were doing ME a favour by squeezing me in that evening. Yet the place never was full all evening. Oh they apologized because they simply got caught.

To the OP, if they can reaccomodate you then perfect. Hoping this gets sorted out.

There has been a bit of problem along those lines on SS. This was one of several earlier threads you may be interested in reading some of the other posters as well ....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36697786&highlight=bribe#post36697786

I am not sure if this is still an issue - but one of the La Terrazza MD's was for some time making it pretty difficult to book seats but somehow managed to find them when a tip - or more accurately a bribe was proffered. I saw this happened several times and he was taking much the same line with us until we had it "fixed".

I had presumed it as fixed permanently but heard more recently that under the same MD tables were still in short supply and seemed still to find it easier once "appreciated". I think the huffing and puffing and explaining how difficult it is but then being helpful also produces more tips from passengers after they think he has done something special for them.

Personally, I'm strongly in favour of making it a rule that no one of a management level should be allowed to accept tips on SS.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We have sailed once on SS - Shadow in Asia. We wanted to dine in LC at least once during our cruise, but didn't realise you had to go to the restaurant as soon as you got on board to make a reservation. In fact, we did as was suggested in the brochure, asked our butler to make the booking for us. Needless to say, we didn't get to dine there, as it was booked out! I know it is a small restaurant, but fighting to get a reservation is just a little mass market for us. Also, if you have to book before you are even on board, how do you know that is where you want to dine on that particular evening (unless it is a special occasion).

There is no availability any other night now. I will print out my reservation but I am finding this distasteful. I booked almost immediate after midnight to insure my mother and I are able to do everything I wanted to do. I was already concerned that my expectations for this line may hone to great while in the other hand considering one of its specialty cruises. We shall see how this goes. They may end up wit repeat customers and no new fan base if preferential treatment is the standard.

I am always delighted to be corrected by others who actually know rather than "cheerleaders" retro fitting speculation. :)

My understanding is that the online booking system isn't in any way a realtime system as it might appear which reduces down available tables on a fair first come first served basis, which is what sensible customers presume. It is basically a messaging system which allows passengers to wait until it opens and optimistically complete an online form that gives a falsely reassuring response, but it is in fact the ship that decides manually who actually gets the bookings previously (it seems) confirmed.

If so, this obviously leaves it open to being a revenue (tip) earning opportunity for the MD of the restaurant being booked. That was why I was able in days gone by to get an MD in the Terrazza reassigned to the MDR where everyone gets a table without "advanced tipping".

Making it counter-corporate policy for managers to take tips would cut this out.

:)

The main problems with alternative restaurant reservations commenced with the booking on line scenario.Prior to that it was never a problem.We gather that a number of SS cruisers now make multiple bookings for all alternative dining facilities on the same evenings then choose the favoured option on the day dependant upon weather and other considerations.I find it surprising the SS systems/Management are unable to identify these people by restricting advance booking on line to eg three reservations per suite prior to the commencement of the cruise.How you stop the bribes/tips to the Maitre d is a more difficult problem to tackle even though the SS brochure clearly states "no tips are required or accepted ".Large travel groups are the other main reason for being bumped off reservations at the last minute where the Groups book the whole of or the major part of a speciality restaurant and request exclusivity.It would be better to go back to the old system of everyone booking on board particularly as 25% of over 55 age group are not Internet users and this age group still provides SS with the majority of its clients.

1. The onboard reservations we made in person on day 1 bore no relation to the reservations we were actually allocated. The whole system was chaotic. We didn't mind too much as we're pretty relaxed and flexible about these things and it was exciting to see what our "surprise" reservation was that day.

2. People were making large numbers of reservations and then simply not turning up. There were vacant tables in "fully booked" venues every night. We just turned up on spec and were usually given one of those vacant tables. No tip or other inducement changed hands. It also helps if you dine early at or near opening time.

3. If you are a SS regular or doing several segments of the cruise you can expect special treatment and not just in restaurants. There, I said it.

4. In the OP's position I'd try to find out if there's a large group booked on the cruise anyway. Good luck getting SS to confirm/deny it though.

We gather that a number of SS cruisers now make multiple bookings for all alternative dining facilities on the same evenings then choose the favoured option on the day dependant upon weather and other considerations.

The system actually won't allow you to have more than one reservation per night now. At least they fixed that issue. Now if they would only put reservations into a pending status instead reservation until they are certain you have one. That would help clarify that a reservation is not really a reservation.

I don't even have a problem bumping us for a large crowd if they would have communicated it and maybe offered us a different day. Doing it the way they did has made me feel unwelcome.