Caviar Question

descartes1

We have sailed previously on SilverSea (Spirit), and last summer tried Seabourn.

Overall, we preferred our experience on SilverSea, but we did very much enjoy eating caviar on the Seabourn voyage. (We did not think to order caviar when we sailed on the Spirit).

So, our question is whether we can order caviar on SilverSea like on Seabourn, for example while sitting at the pool, to our suite before dinner, while enjoying a drink at the bar in the evening, etc. We found doing this to be pretty decadent and enhanced the overall feeling of luxury on the trip. It was also a great ice breaker with new friends to enjoy champagne and caviar together....

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer....

Edited by descartes1

The short answer is No. SS used to offer caviar like Seabourn but stopped several years ago. They probably offer it on the menu on one or more formal nights but you cannot just order it anywhere without paying.

If that's true about the caviar, we would have no reason to choose Seabourn over SilverSea. Seabourn's complimentary caviar otherwise makes it a virtual toss up between the two lines, especially in my wife's eyes.

If that's true about the caviar, we would have no reason to choose Seabourn over SilverSea. Seabourn's complimentary caviar otherwise makes it a virtual toss up between the two lines, especially in my wife's eyes.

As with many things these days ....... there's caviar and "caviar" ;)

When specifcly sourced caviar is not mentioned (.... even sometimes when it is ....) lumpfish caviar is generally what is served and unless you are a genuine expert you are unlikely to tell the difference. The chances of SS or any other line spending a packet on "free flow" caviar is somewhere bewtween zero and minus one .... I wouldn't choose a line just on that basis.

:)

black-lumpfish-caviar-100g.jpg

As with many things these days ....... there's caviar and "caviar" ;)

When specifcly sourced caviar is not mentioned (.... even sometimes when it is ....) lumpfish caviar is generally what is served and unless you are a genuine expert you are unlikely to tell the difference. The chances of SS or any other line spending a packet on "free flow" caviar is somewhere bewtween zero and minus one .... I wouldn't choose a line just on that basis.

black-lumpfish-caviar-100g.jpg

The type Seabourn uses is from Uraguay, and it's fine by me.

Are you saying that that type of option is available on SilverSea?

The type Seabourn uses is from Uraguay, and it's fine by me.

Are you saying that that type of option is available on SilverSea?

It sounds like you are eating Black River.

As this is clearly of importance to you and your wife, and you are currently enjoying decent caviar, then the best thing to do would be to write/email SS and ask what they serve and insist some is loaded for you.

I'm not optimistic, so I'd say better the caviar you know .....

After just disembarking the Shadow this week, I can confirm that the "gratis" caviar available on Silversea is only seen as a "condiment" on top of appetizers in the Restaurant - I never saw it once in 18 days as a full serving except at Le Champagne (extra charge). There were some special function (Captain's Welcome, Venetian Party) hors d’orderves where a blini topped with caviar was served - but very sparingly, and you never get enough of it to judge the quality. In each suite there is a Caviar Menu which comes in tiny servings at huge prices.

If you are booking a cruise for the gratis caviar, stick with Seabourn where you can have a "standing order" at 6:00pm daily, served with your choice of condiments and Champagne. And they will find you, wherever you are on board, to serve it to you!

Jen

the only caviar that i did see on the Silver Spirit was the one ounce served on a plate (with all the condiments except for a piece of lemon ) in Le Champagne where i paid a charge for the dinner

and on the Venetian Society you do receive one canape with maybe 6 grains ...

and a shrimp

otherwise you have to pay for a tin ...:rolleyes:

To me this as been about the saddest of the Silversea changes over time. it used to be real Oscetra caviar free from room service whenever you wished. I doubt that anything being served for free on Seabourn or anywhere else nowadays is "real" caviar.

To me this as been about the saddest of the Silversea changes over time. it used to be real Oscetra caviar free from room service whenever you wished. I doubt that anything being served for free on Seabourn or anywhere else nowadays is "real" caviar.

I am not sure if you classify this as "real" caviar or not as I am not an expert. This is who Seabourn sources their caviar from.

http://blog.seabourn.com/seabourn-sources-sustainable-sturgeon-caviar

All I know is I do enjoy it but I must admit I prefer to keep it as treat and only have it occasionally.

Julie

Just three point to this discussion here:

- on SB we were served "real" caviar (yes, it is farmed, but it comes from the sturgeon) whenever we asked

- on SS you can pay for "real" caviar in three quality levels (not sure if it is wild or farmed)

- on SS you get free "caviar" at special events (like captain or Venetian society reception) in tiny amounts on blinis (or without them if you ask). However, its quality on our last cruise was atrocious and nothing like on past cruises or the one on SB. Frankly, we wondered if it was a substitute and another cost-cutting move by the bean-counters which are saving this previous "Italian luxury line" to death...

I am not sure if you classify this as "real" caviar or not as I am not an expert. This is who Seabourn sources their caviar from.

http://blog.seabourn.com/seabourn-sources-sustainable-sturgeon-caviar

All I know is I do enjoy it but I must admit I prefer to keep it as treat and only have it occasionally.

Julie

Yes, as I said upthread, it's Black River and it is a lovely caviar. Nothing wrong with it at all. SS's free "caviar" is undoubtedly lumpfish. Nothing wrong with it if you like lumpfish "caviar"

Jeff

I just spent two weeks on SB ands the quality of the caviar was excellent. I'm not saying it was sevruga but I was very pleased. And believe me, I had plenty of the stuff.

Unless SB has decided to go down market like Cunard Queens Grill, you were not being served sevruga.

SilverSea really should re-think the caviar policy. From what I saw on Seabourn last summer, everyone REALLY loved it and it engenders a real feeling of luxury. It feels like a step down when the closest competitor has it, but SilverSea doesn't.

Frankly, I could care less about caviar! (Sorry Wellseasoned!) It is a matter of taste. I would be interested in knowing what percentage of SS passengers actually care about whether there is good free caviar on board. There are other things much more important to us.

SilverSea really should re-think the caviar policy. From what I saw on Seabourn last summer, everyone REALLY loved it and it engenders a real feeling of luxury. It feels like a step down when the closest competitor has it, but SilverSea doesn't.

Last May, on Seabourn's Oddysey, we were given Malossol caviar. I am no caviar expert but I understand it's pretty good quality...I enjoyed it anyway.

Malassol simply means salted. It's not a type of caviar.

As for those to whom caviar is not important that's fine. There are others to whom alcohol is not important. Let's see SS try and do away with that!

Caviar...what a First World dilemma! I probably wouldn't care if SS cuisine was generally excellent otherwise. Granted, I have only cruised SS once but I do not think the food was anything special at all, even with a sprinkling of caviar here and there. There is so much more to fine cuisine than caviar. How does Seabourn food compare otherwise to SS?

Malassol simply means salted. It's not a type of caviar....

Since I am no caviar expert, I googled its definition and it's rather "very little" salted, since there is no need to obscure poor quality of the roe. Well, anyway, I enjoyed what I was offered.

Caviar...what a First World dilemma! I probably wouldn't care if SS cuisine was generally excellent otherwise. Granted, I have only cruised SS once but I do not think the food was anything special at all, even with a sprinkling of caviar here and there. There is so much more to fine cuisine than caviar. How does Seabourn food compare otherwise to SS?

well - in 2005 when i did my first SS on Shadow , the food was more classic as on Seabourn - in those days having an agreement with a media chef Charlie Palmer ...

in those days from time to time some stupid combinations : finished now.

the food on my last seabourn quest was far better as on several SS

- i probably will not go back on SS caused by the rather average cuisine, ranging from not freshly squeezed orange juice over poor cheeses and simply very basic desserts.

The wine list ( wines to pay for ) is maybe cheaper on SS and service on SB the service is more sophisticated

The time Iranian or Russian Sevruga or Oscietra was served on 5 starred cruiseships is simply history...