Silver box

Iamsailing

Just received our documents in a smaller silver box for our cruise Venice -Istanbul 10th July, Slightly disappointed not getting the Wallet or the luggage tags this year .What are your thoughts

While it is sad, I'd rather loose those than anything on board.

It is a change I hadn't heard of though.

As do I. But put yourself in the shoes of a fist time cruiser. Receiving that previous large silver box with the wallet and luggage tags surely heightened the anticipation an promised great things to come. The current presentation does no such thing.

It is not easy to justify receiving paper tags for your luggage, like they send on carnival or HA , it is simply classless. SS has recently hired too many people from second class cruise lines and masked third class amenities as innovative digital wonders. It is the loyal and dedicated staff that keeps me going back, without the them I would be on SB in a second.

The receipt of the silver box was certainly disappointing. The mini book had little information. Took the online pdf and printed the ticket, transfer and charter flight data and the book went into the trash can.

We received 8 bag tags - also cheap off the laser printer.

Agree with both Gourmet Gal and WriPro --

First time cruisers should receive the full welcome aboard package.

A wise man once told me - don't do anything on your honeymoon you don't want to do for the rest of your marriage. Likewise, Silversea should not do things for first time cruisers that will set them up for disappointment at its lack on their second. Edited by Mark_K

Made a new booking for next year a few days ago and this is a small section of the official e-mail from S/S

In an effort to protect our environment, this eco-friendly email replaces the former pre-cruise documentation information pack. Silversea will now send you one mailing containing all final cruise documents approximately 21-30 days prior to sailing.

What's in the box?

I love beautiful stationery, nice textiles, etc. and I was unimpressed by the SS packette received a few years ago for a Baltic cruise. I thought it was a waste and not necessary. As long as the ship experience is excellent I am all for less waste. I think a lot of people appreciate eco-friendly measures where appropriate.

Rocchi, there is a small soft covered book, measuring 8" x 5" containing 112 pages, in our case. Near the front of the book is a page headed 'Your Ticket' giving our names, the booking number and the boarding time and place. The following pages cover the itinerary and dress code, My Silversea website explanation, a sales pitch for future cruising and Terms & Conditions. There a few blank liked pages at the back for notes.

There are four luggage tags each.

All rather under-whelming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 57 varieties

Quick thought on this subject.We have many friends who are regular SS clients who don't do the Internet and never will.Are their SS days over?

Edited by brimary
There spelt wrong

Rocchi, there is a small soft covered book, measuring 8" x 5" containing 112 pages, in our case.

Pity they didn't include a magnifying glass as it's 112 pages of very small type. Don't they realise many of their passengers have reading difficulties?

This will be our first SS cruise after enjoying SB, Regent and Crystal. So far SS appears to be behind the other luxury lines. But maybe our experience on the ship will be better.

After almost 20 years of sailing lines like Holland America and Celebrity we made the switch to Silversea in 2012. I'll have to admit that our first Silver Box was a nice introduction and set a certain level of expectation and excitement. Granted over the years the other lines had gone away from mailed documents and leather/phleather/cloth folders to purely on-line documents and print-them-yourself luggage tags and I really didn't mind. I suspect that more and more lines have or will go that way and even Silversea may offer it as a option then maybe fully switch over. Anyhow, glad we got the full box the first cruise but admit it was less important for subsequent Silversea cruises.

Edited by Randyk47

As a SS first timer, I would have liked the full Monty. Oh well. Hopefully nothing more has changed.

kloreece I think you will be impressed by the new version - please keep an open mind and judge it for what it is - not compared to what you imagine the former documents were like. In reality they were a whole raft of papers folded together in a faux leather wallet which had a distinct odor when new. The luggage tags were nice, but you only need one set and regular cruisers accumulated way too many. I put all mine in a yard sale.

One size doesn't fit all but the new booklet suits me just fine.

Rocchi, there is a small soft covered book, measuring 8" x 5" containing 112 pages, in our case. Near the front of the book is a page headed 'Your Ticket' giving our names, the booking number and the boarding time and place. The following pages cover the itinerary and dress code, My Silversea website explanation, a sales pitch for future cruising and Terms & Conditions. There a few blank liked pages at the back for notes.

There are four luggage tags each.

All rather under-whelming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks 57

The proper luggage tags as supplied by Silversea (and not a home printout) are still important to to the Lady R. and me.

Rocchi

Thanks 57

The proper luggage tags as supplied by Silversea (and not a home printout) are still important to to the Lady R. and me.

Rocchi

Agree that they are important, worthwhile having and would be so much better if they had been designed correctly.

On-board feedback to the more sensible Tour Managers (who agree) has as yet not produced a change for the better.

Well received my small silver box from my TA today. Interesting but indeed underwhelming. I am remaining open minded but have already started researching other lines. In my initial excitement,research etc., I really expected to be a SS loyalist but am unsure. The cruise itself will be the determining factor. 9 days to go!![emoji2]

Well received my small silver box from my TA today. Interesting but indeed underwhelming. I am remaining open minded but have already started researching other lines. In my initial excitement,research etc., I really expected to be a SS loyalist but am unsure. The cruise itself will be the determining factor. 9 days to go!![emoji2]

"Don't judge a box by its cover" many years ago you used to get a fake alligator black doc holder and a couple of luggage tags. This revised silver box content is way more usable. With the complete itinerary, shore excursion and colored pictures. It's something that can be saved and kept on a bookcase. I would bet it costs more to fabricate this new one over the old useless stuff. So forget about the past stuff and enjoy your cruise, you are not missing anything.