A disappointment! What would you do?

Had booked A B2B on Orion - London to Bordeaux followed by Bordeaux to Lisbon in September. Air is booked, have deposited a flat for a pre-cruise stay in London. Just got a call that the second leg has been canceled! Lindblad will cover all losses - air penalties etc. if we decide not to take the one cruise. I can't remember the last time we took a one week cruise! What would you do ?

I wouldn't want to fly to Europe just for a week, but it sounds like you wouldn't be made 100% whole if you cancel the first cruise (flat in London?) -- and you'd miss the experiences you have been looking forward to in London and on the first cruise. Another option would be to find things to do in France during that second week and just change the return flight to a new location. You could rent a car in Bordeaux and meander from there to Paris in a week. Or you could look for a river cruise from Bordeaux [this would be great if you are a wine lover!]. Or you could take the TGV from Bordeaux to Paris -- I'm sure I could find a week's worth of things to do there!

One other thought: do you know why the second cruise was cancelled? Is Orion going in for a drydock? This could be a worry because often the work actually starts during the cruise immediately beforehand.

• 5 weeks later...
Had booked A B2B on Orion - London to Bordeaux followed by Bordeaux to Lisbon in September. Air is booked, have deposited a flat for a pre-cruise stay in London. Just got a call that the second leg has been canceled! Lindblad will cover all losses - air penalties etc. if we decide not to take the one cruise. I can't remember the last time we took a one week cruise! What would you do ?

Is there a different B2B that interests you?

They seem to be running 7-nighters all season...

We were boxed in by time, so this was the best fit for us. BTW, we didn't cancel - will take a train to Paris for a week and head home.

There are certainly worse places in the world to spend a week! :)

(Glad you've made it all work for you.)

We were boxed in by time, so this was the best fit for us. BTW, we didn't cancel - will take a train to Paris for a week and head home.

Be sure to take the Metro out to see the new Fondation Louis Vuitton museum:

http://www.fondationlouisvuitton.fr/en.html

Thanks! We'll be looking for new things to explore - that will be on the list.

Clearly you've been to Paris before; I don't know what might be new to you, but many folks overlook the Musee Marmottan, which has an amazing collection of Monets. Well worth a visit. Ditto for the Opera House (Palais Garnier).

Have a great time!

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, been to Paris a number of times - best trip was when we took our 4 sons and wives there combined with a river trip down from the Champagne region. OK, brace your selves, our first time to Paris was in 1962! We discovered the original Lindblad in 1987 when we made our first safari based visit to Africa.

OK, enough looking back!